Gibson Brands Forums

SG G 400 Upgrades

Rayjaysonic

I have just finished some upgrades to my SG G400 Leftie, and thought I would share. I have replaced the stock pup's with a set of Tonerider Rebel 90's, (a humbucker sized P90 that drops right in). These are very cost effective pick-up's, about £60 a set and sound fantastic. Nothing wrong with the standard pick-ups but sounded too close to my Epi Les Paul which prompted the swap.

I have also added a Bigsby B5 trem using the Vibramate system, which is bloody fantastic. No drilling and no post holes to fill and looks ace. It took a total of five minutes to fit.

These upgrades have taken what I always thought was a decent enough guitar for the money to the next level. It looks and sounds awesome. The B5 has added stacks of sustain and the P90's just sound so rich.

The only thing that I might do to it now is add a roller bridge. The tuning is actually much more stable after adding the B5 than expected(polished the nut and added a dab of vasaline)but for the low cost of a roller it's going to worth a try next time I swap my strings.

Anyhow, that's what I've done and just thought I would share! [biggrin]

Sounds really good Rayjaysonic, good for you, be better if we could see the results.

There is info on how to post pics in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread pinned to the top of the Epiphone Lounge section of the forum.

Yeah, will try and get some pictures up tonight. Cheers for the pointer towards the DI-IT-YOURSELF thread.

That looks great. I love the looks of a B5 on an SG. Very classy. The Vibramate is the way to go too. I just put a B7 and Vibramate on an Agile AL-3000M neck through (LP clone). Really slick, no drilling. Great job Ray! I have been using the Wilkinson roller bridge with my Bigsby equipped guitars with great results.

I have been using the Wilkinson roller bridge with my Bigsby equipped guitars with great results.

Cheers, loving it to bits. Is this the roller you are using?? WilkinsonRollerBridgeall.jpg

Been looking at getting one of these but I think this uses 4mm posts and my SG has 6mm. I know the roller comes with 4mm posts but not sure if they will fit directly into my current holes.

That's the one I've been using. The studs are 10mm and will screw right into the existing bushings. The posts are smaller, but that is for the actual bridge to mount to. It has nothing to do with it fitting on your guitar. It will fit. I have one on the Dot in my Avatar and on a Sheraton. One of the main reasons I like this one is for the smaller guitar strings. The roller is forward and there is a cut out behind the roller. On my AL-3100 (LP clone) the angle from the saddle to the bottom of the front roller on the B7 is fairly steep. I have tried other roller bridges and the string hit the back of the bridge causing the string to go out of tune. Not a problem with the Wilkinson. It also has set screws to lock it into place which helps for sustain.

I have just finished some upgrades to my SG G400 Leftie, and thought I would share. I have replaced the stock pup's with a set of Tonerider Rebel 90's, (a humbucker sized P90 that drops right in). These are very cost effective pick-up's, about £60 a set and sound fantastic. Nothing wrong with the standard pick-ups but sounded too close to my Epi Les Paul which prompted the swap.

I have also added a Bigsby B5 trem using the Vibramate system, which is bloody fantastic. No drilling and no post holes to fill and looks ace. It took a total of five minutes to fit.

These upgrades have taken what I always thought was a decent enough guitar for the money to the next level. It looks and sounds awesome. The B5 has added stacks of sustain and the P90's just sound so rich.

The only thing that I might do to it now is add a roller bridge. The tuning is actually much more stable after adding the B5 than expected(polished the nut and added a dab of vasaline)but for the low cost of a roller it's going to worth a try next time I swap my strings.

Anyhow, that's what I've done and just thought I would share! [biggrin]

Congratulations on the addition of the P90s. I have three G400s and put GFS Mean 90s in two. They really make these guitars some serious blues machines. Lately I've been getting in to slide. Am I the only one who thinks P90s are great for slide?

Archived