Gibson Brands Forums

Why use coiley cords?

Witmer

I don't see any problems with the old cord. Heck, I thought I had the only ones left in captivity. <grin>

BTW, just curious... you back to making pickups and everything fixed up after the flood?

m

Ohhh Not really. My shop is being used to store building materials and stuff thatw as salvaged from the house. I'm hoping to be spinning again this summer. Thanks for asking!

Guitarest...

Hey, the sparks between me and the mike happened mostly with various old tube PAs in the era when there was no ground on anything, including PAs and amps. Whew!

Krock...

Uhhhh... I think at my age it'd work better if I adopted your sister instead of the other way around - and "adopted" as in grandchild. <grin> Alas...

But she's more than welcome. The wonderful thing about music and musicians is that in many ways music and its performance can erase many differences among us.

Does she sing? Play keyboards? <grin> Live on this side of the planet? <chortle>

Seriously, say "Hi" for me.

m

She sings, but she isnt the best. she's more into the saxaphone but ive been trying to get her into guitars but she's a bit busy atm with her professional exams (chartered accountant course called CIMA). She said hi back

Good luck to you then...

I don't think people in general realize what a flood does...

m

Well.... it does this...

SSPX0155.jpg

But it also shows you who your real friends are. It helps you get your priorities straight. It gets rid of all that junk you were saving for no reason. It makes you mad. It makes you sad. It takes away things you can never get back. It makes you laugh. It shows you how unbelievably amazing people are. It helps you understand that you are capable of more than you ever knew.

Well.... it does this...

SSPX0155.jpg

But it also shows you who your real friends are. It helps you get your priorities straight. It's gets rid of all that junk you were saving for no reason. It makes you mad. It makes you sad. It takes away things you can never get back. It makes to laugh. It shows you how unbelievably amazing people are. It helps you understand that you are capable of more than you ever knew.

Wow, good luck with the recovery. That's devastating.

Coiled Cords without a lot of shielding are noisy and full of resistance. Coiled Cords with a lot of Sheilding are Heavy and have a lot of resistance.

They only look "Cool", there's no real advantage to a coiled cord that I have found. They don't magically retract out of the way, quite the opposite, they wind up with big foot catching loops all over the stage. Then you can't feel the tension as they put on your gear, so you end up pulling your pedals or amp around.

Cordless is the easiest way to go, but I haven't found a wireless set up that sounds as true as a straight, shielded, quality instrument cable. Plus you have to bring a supply of AA batts and risk powering down during a performance. We have a cordless mic in the band, that's enough of a cordless headache for me.

Braided straight cables resist tangling better than any cable I've tried, they deliver your truest tone, and the lay flat on the stage making it easy to step right over them. Of course, the higher quality the cable the better it sounds and acts. Tsunami Cables are my favorite.

True but to clarify something I haven't seen mentioned is they do impact tone due to capacitance. Essentially a coiled cable is longer and the longer the cable the more capacitance that is created which filters more high end the longer it gets.... I heard Hendrix preferred coiled cables which would make sense. The Marshall cabinets he used didn't cut much high end and with a bright Strat it might have been enough to take a bit of the bite off... Eddie used to use the Boss and MXR EQ's to compensate for high end loss due to long cables on stage.

I would suggest checking out the 0 capacitance cables. They are about as transparent as you can get.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Archived