Gibson Brands Forums

Union-made guitar straps?

dhanners623

Okay.... you figured me out.....(not exactly a Herculean task)..... but..... how 'bout them Giants?

I'm not really understanding why people have to make this more than it is. I know some people can't resist turning everything into politics and slipping in a slur here and there, but I would've thought a Gibson guitar discussion forum would be the last place you'd see something like that. I expected better.

The Gibson strap looked nice; thanks for the link, doubleOblues. My issue with it, though, is that I'm not big on mixing a leather strap with plastic fittings. If you're going to go leather, you might as well have metal buckles and slides and whatnot.

I think I've found some small shop makers who, while not union, may at least be local so I'd keep my money in the local economy.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this was never meant to be a political thread..... For the umpteenth time, I was wondering if anyone new where I could find a guitar strap made a particular way, just the same as if I'd ask if anyone knew where I could get a leather strap, or a strap made of hemp, or a bright yellow strap or a strap with all man-made materials. Same deal.

Have you heard the phrase "He doth protest too much"?

We hear ya, but look...if you'd asked for an African-American made strap by prefacing it with Rainbow Coalition support or requested a Hemp strap prefacing it with support of pot legalization...you'd get some comments. Just like you did. It was a politically infused original post whether you intended or not.

There's NOTHING wrong with supporting whatever cause you wanna support. But when your original post started with 'In light of the going-ons in Wisconsin, I wanna buy a Union Made strap'......don't act surprised and misunderstood when you get feedback. It's a charged issue.

Grandpa, I'm sure, like you, I was a fan of the Giants from the moment I can recognize baseball. LONG before the A's were around.....

But I am a "fair-weather fan". I am happy to see them as World Champions, it's been a LONG time!

Those dastardly Giants stopped my beloved Phillies from another World Series appearance.

From the looks of preseason the Giants look to be tough again this year but my Phillies in acquiring ace Cliff Lee back in the fold now have arguably the best 4-man starting pitching rotation in MLB history.

See ya in Oct. I'm thinking...

Those dastardly Giants stopped my beloved Phillies from another World Series appearance.

From the looks of preseason the Giants look to be tough again this year but my Phillies in acquiring ace Cliff Lee back in the fold now have arguably the best 4-man starting pitching rotation in MLB history.

See ya in Oct. I'm thinking...

Triumph..... us poor folk in SF were only looking for some crumbs...... let's face it.... the Raiders have sucked for years..... the 49ers haven't been the same since the Yorks took over.... Golden State is a perpetual "also-ran"..... the A's are interlopers..... Maybe next year WILL be the Phillies.... guess that's why we have to play the season!

I agree! The best looking "manufactured" strap there is! [thumbup]

I was going to be a smart-alec and ask if someone knew where I could get a union-made strap for my new J-200 I've been playing most of the morning, but I won't...however, I did order a Montana strap which came in same day the blond came, and it IS nice-both to look at and wear-the 'memory foam' backing is very comfortable; the tooling very cool. One question: I had t get a leather strap to tie it to the head...is that the way you guys usu. fasten the top or do alot of folks put a fastener on the top of the body? I don't think I want to put a hole in it...not yet, anyhow, and I believe it's plenty comfortable lashed up to the head...

I was going to be a smart-alec and ask if someone knew where I could get a union-made strap for my new J-200 I've been playing most of the morning, but I won't...however, I did order a Montana strap which came in same day the blond came, and it IS nice-both to look at and wear-the 'memory foam' backing is very comfortable; the tooling very cool. One question: I had t get a leather strap to tie it to the head...is that the way you guys usu. fasten the top or do alot of folks put a fastener on the top of the body? I don't think I want to put a hole in it...not yet, anyhow, and I believe it's plenty comfortable lashed up to the head...

Larry, that's what I use on my Dove and DIF. I actually like them, and would NEVER put in a button on those guitars.

Larry, that's what I use on my Dove and DIF. I actually like them, and would NEVER put in a button on those guitars.

thanks..that's certainly what I'll keep doing for now. I used to have a big 'ol 12 string that way...I never changed it either, and played it from (about) '72 to '90.

It's largely a matter of how the guitar balances best when you're playing. Some seem to balance better when I use a "choker" strap (i.e., one that is attached to the headstock) but others -- my J-45 among them -- balance better when the strap is attached to a strap button on the heel of the guitar. I don't know if it is a question of scale length or not.

It's largely a matter of how the guitar balances best when you're playing. Some seem to balance better when I use a "choker" strap (i.e., one that is attached to the headstock) but others -- my J-45 among them -- balance better when the strap is attached to a strap button on the heel of the guitar. I don't know if it is a question of scale length or not.

Or maybe where you "hang" your guitar.

I'll never understand how these young guys play the guitar when it's hanging so low, (my wrist doesn't bend that way); or the country guys who hang the guitar real high, (more closely the way I do it).

But scale length is something to consider.

Then there's guys like Tom T. Hall and Marty Robbins who stood and played the guitar without using a strap.

I can't picture Tom T., but Marty played a little-bitty guitar....maybe a parlor.

Reminds me of my tryin' to play my old Ovation 12-string. Not only does it play like a 2X4, but the round back and my round front just don't fit anymore!

Thanks. Been having a great-make that GREAT!!!- time playing all afternoon so far. I agree on the necks so low I couldn't get my hand around it to bar or even finger notes. Anyhow, hope everyone is having a good day. I'm going back to the blond!

Maybe there's a Giants guitar strap out there. Then again, the players are union members, so I'm sure there are some folks here who would refuse to wear the strap....

duhanner, You just can't let it go, can you? Every day you have to slip in a dig against anyone who calls you out for posting a political statement. You're obviously politcally savy enough to recognize the difference between 'democrat' and 'democratic', but expect everyone here (even those who don't follow US politics) to believe that you were innocently only asking about straps. It appears you have a CD you are trying to market. Is it a Union Made product? Just asking - not trying to make a point. :)

duhanner, You just can't let it go, can you? Every day you have to slip in a dig against anyone who calls you out for posting a political statement. You're obviously politcally savy enough to recognize the difference between 'democrat' and 'democratic', but expect everyone here (even those who don't follow US politics) to believe that you were innocently only asking about straps. It appears you have a CD you are trying to market. Is it a Union Made product? Just asking - not trying to make a point. :)

Jeez, bro. There's a concept known as "humor."

Suffice it to say, "You ain't gonna find a Made In The USA, Union made guitar strap." Best you can probably do is USA Made by any one of a number of leather crafters who can custom make just about anything. Tandy Leather Factory has a > > kit < < you can either tool with intricate design, or leave plain and just stain and assemble.

Where this leather is tanned and cut to size is anybody's guess.

It is interesting to note that the glamour shot of this strap is draped across a guitar which cannot use this type of strap .... no bottom button. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

In light of the goings-on in Madison, Columbus and Indiana, I started wondering if there are any union-made guitar straps out there. I wanna buy one. Anyone know of any?

(I figured it'd be ok to post the question here since Gibson and Epiphones used to be union-made.)

I also work to buy union-made American-made products. If you find a union-made strap, let me know. My guitar straps are made in USA (Lock-It guitar straps), although I don't know if they are still in business. In fact, I check every product I buy to ensure that it's made in USA (American Apparel, etc.). The Union Plus site may have info on something like this. I go there often for other products (union-made beer, etc.). I like Americans to have jobs.

Archived