Gibson Brands Forums

Tremelo Arm on SG?!?

colin4195

Hey, i have a black gibby sg, as shown below. There is a 99% chance I don't do this, but would it look cool if I put a new stop piece on it that can use a tremelo are. they are obnoxiously big, but i feel like it might be cool, and would it go out of tune without changing up the nut for a locking not??? Also, how much do you think it would cost?

11jogp1.jpg

Hey, i have a black gibby sg, as shown below. There is a 99% chance I don't do this, but would it look cool if I put a new stop piece on it that can use a tremelo are. they are obnoxiously big, but i feel like it might be cool, and would it go out of tune without changing up the nut for a locking not??? Also, how much do you think it would cost?

I guess your best bet would be to go with the maestro. I cant remember where to find the gibson engraved ones,

but there are a bunch of non-engraved maestros that would work. allparts.com has non-engraved ones.

I believe they carry nickel and gold. nickel is $150 and if I recall corectly the gold should be $180.

I'll have to search that one up for ya

good thought, i am liking the bigsby though.

Can someone please answer these for me:

- How much would it cost in total. I know I can get the part for about 170, but how about having a tech put it on for me?

- Would it make my tuning worse?

- If so, would it require a nut or tuner change?

- Would it look cool, and would you do it to your guitar if you had the time and money?

good thought, i am liking the bigsby though.

Can someone please answer these for me:

- How much would it cost in total. I know I can get the part for about 170, but how about having a tech put it on for me?

- Would it make my tuning worse?

- If so, would it require a nut or tuner change?

- Would it look cool, and would you do it to your guitar if you had the time and money?

I've had a couple Bigsby trems in the past and still have trems on some of my electrics - look at my avatar.

Cost: MF has it for $160 - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bigsby-B5-Flat-Top-SolidBody-Bridge-Gibson-Style?sku=300203

It shouldn't make you're tuning worse.

Nut or tuner change not necessary, just make sure yer strings are properly strung to the tuning pegs. If you got some cash to blow, locking tuners are nice.

However, buy some Big Bends Nut Sauce (or other lube) to use on yer nut and saddle slots. - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Big-Bends-Lil-Luber-Ultra-Nut-Sauce-Applicator?sku=421531

Look cool ? - here's pic -

gibson-sg-classic-b5c.jpg

if you want the bigsby or bigsby style tremelo, my suggestion would be go for a total change of heart. leave the sg as is and go look at the ibanez or gretsch. you can pick up new from $400 upwards. musiciand friend has a special on the ibanez just now but the gretsch are more expensive. you get the tremelo as well as the hollow/semi hollow tones.

Archived