Gibson Brands Forums

I still don't know what to call this!

slvrbrst

Well I posted quite a long time ago asking what exactly one would call my les paul...my wife bought it for me while I was overseas as a surprise. The GC employees called it a custom, or a classic custom, or a standard limited edition, or a silverburst reissue...I got the same lack of consensus the last time I tried asking here.

I do know (from the "serial number") that it's a Guitar Center special of some kind. And of course that "serial number" doesn't get me anywhere with the Gibson serial registries. In order to get a COA I'd have to actually send my original receipt of purchase TO Gibson, which I don't feel like doing.

The guitar is a work of art and I'm not questioning it's authenticity. I'll never part with it, but I'd kinda like to know what exactly it IS!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DSCN0356.jpg[/img]

DSCN0359.jpg[/img]

DSCN0361.jpg[/img]

DSCN0358.jpg[/img]

DSCN0355.jpg[/img]

DSCN0354.jpg[/img]

Looks like a LP Standard in Silverburst, which is unusual. It's part of a special run of LP STD Silverburst for GC.

It's unusual because Silverburst LPs with body binding usually are Les Paul Customs with the diamond peghead logo. . . . (There's also an LP Studio version)

Love the Silverburst. Contrats. [thumbup]

Here ya go -

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0358.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

i don't actually know the answer, but that is an interesting question. it may not actually matter, looking from the perspective that if it is a guitar center excusive, what they call it or what it officially is, may not be an accurate description. but a good question.

basically, we all know the traditional models are the custon, standard, and studio. they refer to specific trim appointments. that one is obviosly a standard in every way except for the addition of the binding and crown on the headstock. there have been some other limited production guitars with exactly that same addition, and it would be interesting to know if there is a name for that, a name or term for the standards that heve this additional feature.

maybe there is no term for it. it would be interesting to know, as well as interesting to know what the official term that the guitar was called and how accurate a description it was.

And the fact that the serial number starts with G would state a Guitar Center exclusive

Quite possibly.

I can safely say that it is not the GOTW.

If you look at the picture of the GOTW, it has grover tuners whilst this one has Klusons:

LPCWSBCH1_.jpg

So, in all likelyhood, it is a GC exclusive.

EDIT: It is probably this one:

Gibson LP Silverburst GC

Quite possibly.

I can safely say that it is not the GOTW.

If you look at the picture of the GOTW, it has grover tuners whilst this one has Klusons:

LPCWSBCH1_.jpg

So, in all likelyhood, it is a GC exclusive.

EDIT: It is probably this one:

Gibson LP Silverburst GC

Good one. It's got to be the one. You don't see a lot of Les Pauls with the Gibson Custom symbol on the headstock and the Les Paul sig on the truss rod cover.

Yeah! Slvrbrst, that's a beautiful and unique Silverburst. I like the tuners and peghead single ply binding with crown inlay. It's like a Super Standard! I think Stein is correct. It's a GC exclusive and probably has no classification other than that. Hold on to that one. [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

Yeah! Slvrbrst, that's a beautiful and unique Silverburst. I like the tuners and peghead single ply binding with crown inlay. It's like a Super Standard! I think Stein is correct. It's a GC exclusive and probably has no classification other than that. Hold on to that one. [thumbup]

And the girl who bought it for me :)

Archived