Gibson Brands Forums

disc golfers

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

In the U.S. we also call it frolthing..( frisbee golf). I play every spring and summer at local course's...Great game and should be more widely known. Perfect stoner sport. [thumbup]

Yeah frolf and frisbee golf are lesser used around here but I've heard them. We've only got about 7 courses here in the UK but It's growing. Myself and some friends set up the UKs first public course 4 years ago.

There's a current project where I live at the literal geographic center of the U.S. to add an 18 "hole" Disc Golf course a cupla hundred meters from the big granite "Center of the Nation" monument. Nine holes should be complete by summer. Some 12 miles south there are two disc golf courses.

The term used here has been "Disc Golf" since "Frisbee" is a registered trademark of the Wham-O corporation.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

There's a current project where I live at the literal geographic center of the U.S. to add an 18 "hole" Disc Golf course a cupla hundred meters from the big granite "Center of the Nation" monument. Nine holes should be complete by summer. Some 12 miles south there are two disc golf courses.

The term used here has been "Disc Golf" since "Frisbee" is a registered trademark of the Wham-O corporation.

m

That's right, no business can call it Frisbee golf, disc golf seems to have stuck as a name now. Wham-O even kicked up a fuss about ultimate Frisbee because all the leagues around the world stipulate Ultrastars as the official disc, as a result that's always refered to as just Ultimate by businesses now.

Tried it a few times now in the last couple years it's pretty cool we have a course or whatever it's called with nine holes set up in the walking and par course exercise path in our neighborhood. I walked by them for at least two years wondering what the weird pole deals with chains were until we happened to see some kids playing it. It's fairly popular now with quite a few of the older folks doing it as part of there evening walks.

I'm sure it's nothing like the real competition people that are serious about the game might do, but it's a lot of fun.

The course is not far and my home is probably considered a hazard for the people that play the course since my Terrier thinks every frisbee disc in the world automatically belongs to him. It is pretty nice having him around though I get some pretty good discs from him periodically, he brought home a brand new looking Innova Destroyer driver a few weeks back that is probably the easiest disc to get distance and straight shots out of that I have ever tried. One of the few benefits out of owning an insane Jack-Russel Terrier...

The one they're developing here is also on the bike and walking path that passes the Center of the Nation monument.

An "enhancement" to the path. Since it's in a floodplain between the river and a flood control dike, they should have plenty of room for 18 holes although they're starting with 9.

I'll pass on the word to the young folks involved who plan it for family sorts of sport entertainment that it's a "stoner" sport. <grin>

m

The one they're developing here is also on the bike and walking path that passes the Center of the Nation monument.

An "enhancement" to the path. Since it's in a floodplain between the river and a flood control dike, they should have plenty of room for 18 holes although they're starting with 9.

I'll pass on the word to the young folks involved who plan it for family sorts of sport entertainment that it's a "stoner" sport. <grin>

m

That's great...we only have one good course in Omaha. My reference as a "stoner" sport, more reflects to the point that it's a "relaxing" sport..golf for instance some would consider a "stoner" sport. I enjoy it alot, and even though at every other hole there's someone either ligthing up a blunt or passing a pipe there's still plenty of familys that come out and play. And there's still enough respect to hide everything when a kid or family approaches. You actually have to LOOK for it to see it going on, or have enough common since when you get to the proper age. My point is, is that it's a great time, high or not.

Archived