Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else not own a green shirt?

dem00n

I am not Irish, so why would I wear green for??

I don't even know if I have a green shirt or pants for that matter.

Not to be showing any disrespect, but, why Irish??

Why not German, Switzerland, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, Austrailia.... ect?????alien2.gif??????

Because, like the blacks in the 60's, the Irish were treated as "Less Than Citizens" when we first came to this country. We had to riot and burn stuff in order to get representation, once we got that representation we felt it would be cool to have a holiday along with all that representation.

It's not our fault the Germans, Swedes, Brazilians, New Zealanders, Aussies, and the Et Ceteras weren't persecuted when they got here.

Besides, we made sure there was drinking, eating, and Partying invoved, so it's outlasted a lot of other countries celebrations in this country. If MLK wants to hang in there like St. Paddy we better start Partying on that extended weekend.

Ummm cuz St Patrick was Irish and its his day... :)

Actually, St. Patrick was Italian. He went to Ireland and did a lot for the people there, including spreading Catholicism. I think he's credited as a big reason why Ireland is such a devout Catholic country.

And something about driving snakes out....but you know how those crazy religious stories go!! Such creative minds, they had.

EDIT: Strike that. I may be the one in need of a history lesson here.

EDIT 2: Ok, I'm sort of right. Born in Scotland...to Roman parents. He didn't voluntarily go to Ireland - he was captured during a battle by Irish clans attacking the English, and was made a slave.

And to add a bit to what First said, people may be a bit surprised to know that the phrase "Luck of the Irish" was originally derived from sarcastic irony. The Irish weren't seen as lucky at all, much because of the plights they faced in Ireland and in the US. Luck of the Irish was originally a complete ironic statement, but has transformed into...just a statement.

So they came, they toiled, they banded in street gangs, they improved their status enough to leave the street gangs and join the biggest, baddest mob there was; The United States government. Ted Kennedy gets elected, gets assassinated, and here we are.

Well, we so called americans P.O.'d a lot people in the early part of our young countries history...

And still ti this day as sell...

I know I'll take flak for saying this, but here goes..

Columbus day, WHAT.. He wasn't even close to being the one to discover america..

It was discovered 100's if not 1,000's of years ahead of him....

We might have been taught that back in the day, but look it up now a days.....

Not even close I tell you...

Ya know what else? We get the day off for Columbus Day but nobody celebrates and there's no merchandise. We don't get St. Patrick's Day off but we party like it's 1933, plus there's decorations, cloths, costumes, and all kinds of souvenirs. [confused]

On Topic, this is the shirt I've been wearing for the day.

irish-yoga.jpg

I've never been one to wear hats but lately I've been wearing a flat cap (a la Mike Love... or in my case, more like Lorenzo Music). Light brown, cashmere, made in Ireland. I don't fit in with the Carhartt wearing farmer crowd around here but that's nothing new.

Last night I bought a Hanna Hats gray tweed one, also made in Ireland. My ancestors are all from Scotland, Ireland, England, so it's legit as it's gonna git. (I think the three origins probably all smooshed together once they hit Nova Scotia in the 1800s).

77B2-411B-All%20-1.jpg

Never gave it any thought that I was buying in on 3/17 but that's kinda cool.

So now I have TWO hats with which I can be the Odd Man Out. None of my clothing advertises farm implements, insecticide, or snowmobiles, so my role as pariah is secure.

I've never been one to wear hats but lately I've been wearing a flat cap (a la Mike Love... or in my case, more like Lorenzo Music). Light brown, cashmere, made in Ireland. I don't fit in with the Carhartt wearing farmer crowd around here but that's nothing new.

Last night I bought a Hanna Hats gray tweed one, also made in Ireland. My ancestors are all from Scotland, Ireland, England, so it's legit as it's gonna git. (I think the three origins probably all smooshed together once they hit Nova Scotia in the 1800s).

77B2-411B-All%20-1.jpg

Never gave it any thought that I was buying in on 3/17 but that's kinda cool.

So now I have TWO hats with which I can be the Odd Man Out. None of my clothing advertises farm implements, insecticide, or snowmobiles, so my role as pariah is secure.

I picked up a Hannah hat last year myself...in Maine no less.

Love it. Comfortable and warm.

I too, have been sporting a flat topped driving cap for about a year. Just got a new one this winter like that black and gray check. Probably not Irish made, though. It was either that or a Stormy Kromer... Due to cost, I decided on the gray cap.

St. Patrick was born in Great Britain, of a Roman (Italian, I guess) father and a British mother. As a young teen he was kidnapped from his home Island and spirited away to Ireland then pressed into slavery. He later escaped, then as an older man and bishop, he returned to Ireland to convert the pagans. As a matter of fact, Patrick intended to pay his former slave owner for his 'ransom' as atonement for his escape. His former owner, however, hearing that Patrick was coming to see him became so afraid Patrick would harm him, committed suicide before Patrick could get to his home.

His usual garment color was probably blue. We now call it St. Patrick's Blue.

Much of Patrick's 'biography' is legend and may be a compilation of several people. The driving of snakes may have been an allegory relating to the conversion of the island's inhabitants from paganism, to Christianity. The serpent or snake has long been used as a symbol of the evil one. Some people have taken it literally.

The heavy drinking and debauchery associated with St. Patrick's day in the United States and other countries, like Mardi Gras, is a bastardization of a solemn event. The serpent is alive and well.

Oh, and a born and bred Irishman told me that if you want to celebrate St. Patrick's day with a beer, don't do it with green beer. In Ireland, it just isn't done. It's an American thing.

Archived