Gibson Brands Forums

Oh the joy of new strings!

Lefty Guy

I treated my self this Saturday to a trip to my local guitar tech for a bit of TLC for my J-45, which was getting a bit "grubby". He polished the frets, oiled the fretboard & put a new set of Elixir PB nanos on her.

I never cease to be amazed at what a joy that first hour or so of playing is. The feel & tone of the new strings, combined with that wonderful lemon oil smell is magical.......& it all makes me think I'm a better player than I really am.

Lovely!

My SWD got a new set of strings yesterday also. Great sounding again and I played for an hour or so.

Mine didn't get to go to the spa though, I did the work myself. I did clean it up while the strings were off and out of the way.

Yeah, i know what you mean, i prefer them after about 5 hours of playing, but also find the SWD needs to have its strins replaced quite regularly as it can turn a bit mushy with older strings.

Thats why I love DR Sunbeams on the CW and SJ as they sound great after some 20 hours, still shimmerish but nicely worn in for a great all round warm tone.

Welp -

Surprisingly, there's a number of members that like their strings "worn in". Some guys leave them on until they break or get rusty - years.

Really.

Strung up the J-45 with Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 12's late last week. At first they sparkled, then - without being played that much - faded fast over the weekend. Just fell asleep and kind of left the guitar. Have to say the Martin or D'addario equivalent stay fresher and louder for a longer time.

Things are better on the SJ 63(now with ivory saddle insert). With G.M.P. 11's put on same day - and played more - it's still alive and singing.

Next move is G.M.P. 12's on the 66 C&W.

Always had exactly same experience with the masterbuilts, great at first, fade fast, even change colour.

Try DR Sunbeams, same tone as masterbuilts but last much longer. Actually hit their pick after some 10 hours of playing.

Always had exactly same experience with the masterbuilts, great at first, fade fast, even change colour.

Try DR Sunbeams, same tone as masterbuilts but last much longer. Actually hit their pick after some 10 hours of playing.

See, I find the the MBs a little bright at first, but then last a long time once they break in. That just shows that man's "faded" tone is another man's preferred tone!

Red 333

I also re-strung my SWD this past weekend....I (because I'm a cheap ba*tard) had put on some $8 D'darrio jobs and just hated them...I replaced with some $16 D'darrio coated strings...its a night and day difference...she has the warm growl again and my finger tips thank me.

That just shows that man's "faded" tone is another man's preferred tone!

"One mans ceiling is another mans floor."

I'm not sure I wanna knock the Masterbuilts, but they seem too modest or vague. Don't bring the full shine up in the willing 45.

Like a lesser dancer in front of the party queen around 22:45 PM.

Sounds like a chiming weekend - Hep. . .

Yes - TBH, I haven't thought this through properly. I'm working tomorrow & out tomorrow evening, working much of Saturday & playing in an all-day Petanque competition on Sunday. So, a little frustrating, to say the least.

On the up-side, I'm off work Monday-Thursday, so plenty of time then..

I can hear the jangling already!!

Alright, now I have to go out and get some new strings. I never could stand up to peer pressure! I am one of those who leave the strings on forever. I hate the brassy sound of new strings. It seems that just when they are turning nice and mellow they start going dead. I am going to give the DR Sunbeams or Johnny Pearce 12s a try this go-round.

chasAK

I just put some DR sunbeams "12s" on my j45. They sound very good already, I am pleased! I do have a major problem. The 3rd string has gone crazy!! It is in tune when played open but goes sharp immediately and stays that way until the tenth fret. It is dead on in the twelfth fret. I loosened it up and replaced it in the nut end with the same result. It is listed as a 24 while the one I took off (Martin 12s) was a 25. There can't be that much of a difference in the diameter to cause this problem. Should I have the nut recut? I looked down the neck but being blind in one eye I don't see problems as easy as other people do.

chasAK

ps. I keep the guitar between 40% - 50% rh.

I use DR Sunbeams on my CW, SJ and Furchm, basically mahognay guitars and love the sound.

But i had a similar problem with the D string in the past, there have been some bad batches unfortunately.

One question - did you cut the ends after bringing the strings to pitch ?

With the sunbeams you MUST not cut them until they are brought to pitch and also not bend them before, but play them in.

I just put some DR sunbeams "12s" on my j45. They sound very good already, I am pleased! I do have a major problem. The 3rd string has gone crazy!! It is in tune when played open but goes sharp immediately and stays that way until the tenth fret. It is dead on in the twelfth fret. I loosened it up and replaced it in the nut end with the same result. It is listed as a 24 while the one I took off (Martin 12s) was a 25. There can't be that much of a difference in the diameter to cause this problem. Should I have the nut recut? I looked down the neck but being blind in one eye I don't see problems as easy as other people do.

chasAK

ps. I keep the guitar between 40% - 50% rh.

Have to say i also tried the Daddario EXP PB's on my SWD, very happy with the tone. I had the Daddario 12th PB's before and they were also pefect for the rosewood SWD but with non coated strings that zing which i find so important for a rosewood guitar disappeared fast.

With the EXP's i get the same tone as with the standard Daddarios but hopefully the zing factor will continue longer ..

I also re-strung my SWD this past weekend....I (because I'm a cheap ba*tard) had put on some $8 D'darrio jobs and just hated them...I replaced with some $16 D'darrio coated strings...its a night and day difference...she has the warm growl again and my finger tips thank me.

Euro,

I did cut them before bring them up to pitch. I bent the strings to a right angle before inserting them into the peg hole and cutiing them. This should have stopped any possible unraveling of the winding and it affect between the tuning peg, nut, and bridge. At least it is suppose to! Maybe I will try another set. Thanks!!

chasAK

ps. has anyone else had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Try another set. I've been having problems with the sunbeams also recently. The G string was buzzing like crazy and had weird vibrations when strummed open.

This is quite frustrating as they are great strings.

Went back to the guitar shop and the guy gave me another 3rd string. It is working fine and the DRs are a great sounding string!!

Thanks,

chasAK

Archived