Gibson Brands Forums

How do I tell if my LP's neck is warped?

Red Eye Walker

My number one, 1998 ruby red studio les paul that has always been singing like the fat lady, decided not to sing today. I got no idea what has happened. Today the strings (especially the high ones) started to be all over the frets. Not buzzin' or something but actually killing the sound of the picked note. When with distortion it's even worse - there are side sounds when the note dies. Screeching sounds. Unwanted notes. Sreech-nnng-tonnng.

This is not due to low action 'cause I play high action. No humidity changes or hot/cold temperatures involved. I was still recording last night and it was as good as it has ever been. Went to bed, woke up, had a cup of coffee and went to record some more and the guitar sounded like ironwires attached to kids play guitar.

I mean it is/has been one of the best damn sounding LP's I've ever played. It's a work horse. Never has it let me down. It's a solid build, fifties style thick neck, weights about ten pounds or so 'n stays in tune even if you'd bend a note to moon 'n' back. The baby has a rich 'n' sparkly voice to it.

I am aware that this is a case of visiting a luthier, but I'd be greatful to hear if anyone has ever had something similar. Sudden drastic changes overnight.

I tried to google about warped necks n stuff and all incidents seem to be tied to accidents or humidity/temperature changes. This has none of that. Feels like a curse.

Try another jack cord.

No change - Plug the guitar into another amp. If the guitar sounds fine, your amp has a problem.

Otherwise, if the guitar sounds bad it's probably the electronics on your guitar.

Use the three way to isolate the circuits and check the pots on each circuit, etc.

If you're lost, there's always the repair shop.

Good luck. B)

Checking for a warp will be easy. Hold the guitar flat, and look down the top of the fretboard. Does the neck twist to the left or the right? That was easy enough, now lets see if it is a hump. Look down the edge of the fretboard from the nut to the body. You SHOULD see a slight and gradual curve from the nut, with the neck straightening out from about midway to the body. Play the guitar acoustically and check that it plays like it should. If it does, but only sounds terrible when you plug in and turn on the amp, it is deffinately your electronics. You may even have a pickup that has gone microphonic!!!!! 99% sure that it is in the electronics though.......a guitar (wood) as old as yours should have settled down years ago.........Good Luck! :D

...Play the guitar acoustically and check that it plays like it should...

I'd like to hear an answer to that bit before I suggested any changes.

"Stating the Bloody Obvious", I know, but if it sounds OK unplugged then it's ther electrics side of things. If it sounds horrible unplugged then it's (more likely to be) the set-up of the actual guitar.

P.

I'd like to hear an answer to that bit before I suggested any changes.

"Stating the Bloody Obvious", I know, but if it sounds OK unplugged then it's ther electrics side of things. If it sounds horrible unplugged then it's (more likely to be) the set-up of the actual guitar.

P.

+1

No way would a neck go overnight...

Alright Riverside -

You got me on this one. I went to the website. Interesting theory - Torzal Twist - http://littleguitarworks.com/torzal-natural-twist/

They make a 6 string guitar too.

Now I'll be obsessing about this for while. <_<

It's just a guitar.

Never mind.

Unless you get one with Gary Moore's signature on the pickguard.

Archived