Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck

wineredrich

Saw in my local paper today that Jeff Beck is planning a few Les Paul tribute shows in the NYC area. One such show was broadcast on PBS a while back and was quite good. Beck, to me, remains the most versatile and well rounded of the 60s guitar icons. The only thing that bothered me was that the article contained 2 big photos of Jeff and he was playing a white Strat in both of them! On the TV show, he played a nice sunburst Les Paul on a few songs, but what can you say? The man seems to prefer Fenders. It's just that it's a LES PAUL tribute show!

Mr. Beck seemed to indicate that as far as Mr. Paul's legacy is concerned, the Gibson guitar model that bears his name is just a small part compared to his innovative recording and designing achievements and fine influencial playing. I guess I can buy that. But STILL!

He uses the Heck out of the Volume Knob and Vibrato Arm (tremolo arm for us Americans), which is kinda hard to do on a Les Paul, with its two volume knobs and lack of Vibrato Arm.

As for his unsavory Les Paul comment, I think it was a dig at Jimmy Page and all the Slinky String users that followed him.

2184782240100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

In the answer to the question before the sissy comment he remarks about 9's being too light, Jimmy Page uses 9's. Then he goes on to call the LP, jimmy's preferred guitar, a sissy guitar. I could be reading too much into it, but that's what I think.

ive watched a few of becks videos posted on here, and i got to say what is so great about him?

Wow... well... I'm not sure I can answer that. All I can do is show this video and say if you can't hear and see it there than you're not likely to get it.

One way I measure greatness is to see who was directly influenced by the player. Steve Vai swiped almost every trick he knows from Beck. In this clip it is also easy to hear how Steve Morse and Eric Johnson were massively influenced by Becks work.

i watched the vids and still dont get the hype, i agree he is talented at what he does and i see the influence he has on other players. i wont be running out to buy a cd anytime soon. it seems more like a jam band, never been able to get into that type of band. im not knocking anyones taste in music, just not for me.

i would rather listen to the key board player.

I used to be a roady grunt back in the late 60's in the Washington, DC and Baltimore areas. I was fortunate to have worked for Jeff Beck a few times when he had Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood in his band. I was absolutely floored by his playing then and still am to this day. My wife and I saw him play at Wolftrap last summer and to me it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. We're heading to Pittsburgh in a few weeks to see him there. I really don't think there is anyone else quite like him. He's not the showiest or the fastest, but he makes his guitar sing like few others have.

I know he played with Les Paul a year or so ago and he was playing a Strat even then. I think Les Paul kidded him a bit but hey, that is the guitar of preference for him these days. I don't really care what he plays as long as he keeps playing.

Archived