Gibson Brands Forums

Dunlop "Straplok" System Buttons

I just finished fitting them to my 1959 meaning all my 3 les pauls now have them fitted!

Personally I like the strength & how it makes storing my guitars now so much easier! (Especially if you use THICK leather straps)

dunlop_straplok_dualdesign_gold.jpg

I will say tho that locking in the retainer clip is a SOD but once on thats it!

Anyone else use them and what do you think?

Personally I like the strength & how it makes storing my guitars now so much easier! (Especially if you use THICK leather straps)

I don't understand SS, how do straplocks and a thick leather strap help to store the guitar, do you hang your guitars up by their straps?

Personally, I use Schallers. But that's just what I started with. Now all of my guitars have them. One strap, 4 guitars. Changing from one to the other is quick and easy. Any good strap lock is good insurance and well worth the money. If you value your guitar, it should be the first mod that you do to it.

I have both types of strap locks. The Schaller's feel more secure to me, but the nut tends to come loose every once in a while. But I like the Dunlop products very much, since they are so easy to install and the button works nice and easy. I put the Dunlops on both of my Les Pauls, and my Strats had the Schaller's installed from the factory :) If you have a Les Paul, or any Gibson really, you NEED a strap lock system of some kind!!!!

I don't understand SS, how do straplocks and a thick leather strap help to store the guitar, do you hang your guitars up by their straps?

Well before I used the straploks on the "GIBSON" Which has the thick strap I would have to folded it a certain way to fit but mine has a BUCKLE! which when folded sat next to the pickups! (Scratch worries) Also the thickness of the strap made it very difficult to fit in the available space in the body section of the case.

I place the straps now in the headstock area of the hardcase folded up and out the way

Well before I used the straploks on the "GIBSON" Which has the thick strap I would have to folded it a certain way to fit but mine has a BUCKLE! which when folded sat next to the pickups! (Scratch worries) Also the thickness of the strap made it very difficult to fit in the available space in the body section of the case.

I place the straps now in the headstock area of the hardcase folded up and out the way

Ah, now I get it, shame about the buckle, if I leave a strap on when I case it, I like to have the strap come straight from the bottom strap button, up over the bridge and along the strings as far as it will reach, but I can see that'd be a problem if a buckle was involved.

Ah, now I get it, shame about the buckle, if I leave a strap on when I case it, I like to have the strap come straight from the bottom strap button, up over the bridge and along the strings as far as it will reach, but I can see that'd be a problem if a buckle was involved.

Because of the tightness of the case I can't do that unfortunately

I do however use that method with my Fenders in "Hiscox" cases and it just about snuggly fits (The Fender straps are quite padded too)

I have Dunlops on my Charvel which came factory fitted.

I got a brand new suede-leather strap for the guitar which is quite thick.

A few months later, I was mortified when that large disc (seen on your picture) worked its way completely through the slit and hole in the strap. Fortunately I had hold of the guitar with both hands at the time! Now I don't trust them so I handle the guitar as if it had no strap locks at all.

Be careful!

Alan

A few months later, I was mortified when that large disc (seen on your picture) worked its way completely through the slit and hole in the strap. Fortunately I had hold of the guitar with both hands at the time! Now I don't trust them so I handle the guitar as if it had no strap locks at all.

Be careful!

Alan

Why don't you try the grotsch option Alan, they definitely won't eat your straps, you could try it out during practice sessions, and if you become confident they're a safe option, transfer it to the stage.

Why don't you try the grotsch option Alan, they definitely won't eat your straps, you could try it out during practice sessions, and if you become confident they're a safe option, transfer it to the stage.

Thanks Rastus. For most of my guits, I use those plastic discs you can buy from the counters of many guitar shops.

....Keep meaning to try Grolsch washers but every time I see Grolsch in the supermarkets they're either in cans or small capped bottles.

Alan

There are also those over-sized mushroom shaped strap buttons, they have a large diameter flange, slightly curved on top and flat underneath, paired with the Grotsch washers, they would make a formidable combination.

I use these Dunlop straplocks.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

ergoloks-fd72d8bbd1ca7678b58ff05e42dee854.jpg

I have about 20 of those and they're not too bad either, but I have had them come real close to popping off a few times, luckily I have noticed each time and rectified the problem.

EDIT: Mine were Dunlops, but they have a little hole where the D is on yours SDL, I use it to thread a shoelace through, then through the hole on the strap and tie them into a loop, keeps them with the strap, and eliminates the chance of loosing them.

Be careful!

Alan

Had a think and I have a solution [biggrin]

I'm gonna fit some LARGE washers on the top half of the lock in metal or black plastic...

Had a think and I have a solution [biggrin]

I'm gonna fit some LARGE washers on the top half of the lock in metal or black plastic...

It would be great if you could post a pic. of the arrangment when you've done it, SS.

Cheers

Alan

I also have the cheap Dunlop plastic strap locks pictured above. These work great if the guitar strap is thick enough. I have several straps. The one I prefer is best used when it is folded over & doubled up on the strap buttons, but the Dunlops don't permit this. So I have to use one of my less preferred straps which is thick enough that the end of the strao doesn't have room to move when the straplock button is added. I am a little worried about the strap separating using these locks. It hasn't so far, but I haven't built up enough confidence in it yet. Maybe in time.

I still think it's a better way to go than adding new strap buttons on the guitar. Maybe its just me but I don't like the thought of having to change out these pieces just to keep a strap from falling off.

Also take a look at the Planet Waves straps with the integrated locking mechanism. It's quite a nice system. When I find a graphic on one I like I'm going to pick one up. They're the best locking system I've seen, but I don't have any time using one yet.

Good Luck

Ok I have the final results after a little trial and error.

Plastic / metal washers are a no no their just isn't enough depth to put the locking pin in

But I did find a solution!

sdc11151q.jpg

Its a BLACK RUBBER M10 washer about 2cm wide

you make a slit on one side and using (in my case scissors) you push it under the large disc on the top half of the strap

This gives a nice 2mm gap between the disk and the strap

But the best thing is YOU CAN'T SEE IT unless your up close!

sdc11153.jpg

Cutting issue solved... (And you don't need to unpin the buttons to do this!)

Archived