Gibson Brands Forums

All I can say is WOW!!

daveinspain

I just put regular electric 10's on my acoustic... Feels great, sounds great, improved action, less finger noise... A very respected buddy of mine who happens to be an amazing guitar player handed me his acoustic one night and said play this. It was an old funky Ovation with a cracked top and various repairs. When I played that guitar I couldn't believe how well it played, felt and sounded... So i was like, what did you do to this guitar and he told me he put regular electric strings on it... [blink] He puts 9's on all his acoustics.

I finally got around to trying it on my Takamine, just changed the strings and man, I love it!!

I generally prefer acoustics strung with electric strings also. I like Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies for acoustics.

There's something to be said about the big heavy regular acoustic strings though. They definately sound bigger and fuller. The electric strings sound thinner and more jangly (which is how I like it anyways).

I generally prefer acoustics strung with electric strings also. I like Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies for acoustics.

There's something to be said about the big heavy regular acoustic strings though. They definately sound bigger and fuller. The electric strings sound thinner and more jangly (which is how I like it anyways).

Makes me wonder about EB's (or, some other brands, version of)

"Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom" strings? You'd have the girth on the

base strings, for volume, and the slinkiness, of the upper strings,

for "bends." Might have to try that, myself. ;>)

CB

I agree......10s on acoustics are great...........Gibbons uses 08s on electrics.................I did too.....Tone comes from talent as much as string guage..........and recording techniques............

I've started using the Zebra A-E strings on my AE guitars - I don't own a straight acoustic per se. They're kinda a combination string, a little pricey but not bad sounding. I think a little better than regular electric strings.

And yeah, 9-42. I tried to see if Elixir would consider an AE set at that gauge and they said, "no," so I've been trying the Zebras. They work fine.

I think they're best for fingerpicking, though.

Duane... I dunno; I use 9-42 on 2 different archtops with no floating bridge problems. But again, I'm the first to state I have a very light hand and very seldom even think about using a flatpick on any of my guitars.

There's an argument to be made for heavier strings, but with an AE (any electric for that matter), I think most of the tonal weaknesses of the lighter strings can be overcome. It won't sound like a jumbo or dread with 12s playing acoustic, nor like flatwound 12s on a jazz box, but... they do a lotta stuff a lot easier and some stuff that I can't imagine being done with 13s.

m

Ive tried it a few times but they don't last long, they sound ok for a week or so then they just star sounding weak and chime y or jangle y so I take them off. Noe I like the reverse i run acoustic strings on my Taylor T5 electric with a acoustic bridge dropped in also for a richer lush tone.

I always wanted to try it I just never got around to it. Now I have 11's on my Les Paul and 11's on my Martin. I think I will change the Martin strings to the green Ernie ball Slinky's to try it.....Its time for a string change anyway.

Archived