Gibson Brands Forums

Mislabeled CJ-165...

grimmbob

Hey all,

Picked up my 2nd Gibson a few weeks ago after falling in love with it in the shop. Got a great deal on it as it was part of a "Gibson Days" promotion at the dealer.

At any rate, I only actually noticed a few days ago that inside it was labeled as the Rosewood model, when it very clearly has the maple back and sides... They're a very reputable, well-established dealer, but I plan on heading back there to question them in the next week or so.

My question for you folks is has anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? If so, what was the explanation behind it? How does this affect long term resale value? The resale is not a personal concern as I plan to play it till it's matchsticks, but I'm still curious.

Thanks for any info!

gb

Hey all' date='

Picked up my 2nd Gibson a few weeks ago after falling in love with it in the shop. Got a great deal on it as it was part of a "Gibson Days" promotion at the dealer.

At any rate, I only actually noticed a few days ago that inside it was labeled as the Rosewood model, when it very clearly has the maple back and sides... They're a very reputable, well-established dealer, but I plan on heading back there to question them in the next week or so.

My question for you folks is has anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? If so, what was the explanation behind it? How does this affect long term resale value? The resale is not a personal concern as I plan to play it till it's matchsticks, but I'm still curious.

Thanks for any info!

gb[/quote']

First of all welcome.

There are many Canadians here and you will be amongst friends.

Just try and stay clear of cunkhead LOL!

I think you quandry depends on your position.#

1. Its unlikely the dealer stuck on an internal label, I would have thought that that is a factory error.#

2.Did you buy the guitar for the sound or the spec? The RW and maple have different characteristics, the Rw will be richer and deeper and the maple brighter and more zingy!

If yopu bought it for the sound then you have waht you need.

3.If you are as happy as you sound about the guitar , check the prices of the 2 models and ensure you were not charged a higher rate than appropriate.

4.If all well you have a wrong un which may even command a premium (LOL) if it bothers you make the dealer make Bozeman send the correct label!

But by the tone of your post I'd imagine you' dthink "life's too short" for all that.

BR

John

Postscript

I just read in an adjacent post from JerryK the following may =help

I think the rosewood version has an ebony fretboard and the maple has rosewood. I have had yearnings for that maple one too.

What does the paperwork say it is that came with the guitar? There should have been a piece of paper that had the inspection details and the serial number, etc. on it. It should also indicate the model.

It's probably just a mistake on the label, but like Johnt said, the rosewood is usually more expensive, so check to make sure you were charged the correct price.

If it's just a mistake on the label, your dealer should be able to get a new one from Bozeman. Also make sure the serial number on the label matches the serial number on the back of the headstock.

welcome to the forum, fellow canuck! yes, there are many of us here making the brit contingent sooo jealous without even trying. the price difference in the 165 models is about 125us dollars (no electronics) with the rosewood being more expensive. if you purchased the maple and like it, but you were charged for the RW, inform the dealer and you may have a partial refund on your hands.

Factory error no doubt. The label inside my CJ165 Rosewood model says J65. I called Gibson and they told me originally the guitar was going to be a J165 but after already having marketed the guitar as a CJ they changed the label to CJ. Someone just grabbed the wrong label for your guitar. I think it's kind of cool that way. Added Mojo maybe. At any rate, if the guitar speaks to you keep it and know there's a cool factory mislabeled sticker inside.

That's great to hear! Thanks for the welcomes and the great feedback.

I do think it adds a unique bit of mojo to the guitar, and as I said I'm very happy with her. She's got her own voice and personality, and I find her great for gigging as the smaller body size is very easy to manage behind the mike. Plugged in, there is all the volume and body I need. I've got phosphor bronze strings on her right now, and that coupled with the maple back and sides makes her sing on finger picking songs. Borderline too bright with a pick, but I change my pick attack a bit to compensate and it has a wonderful tone and presence.

So yeah, I'll definitely stick with her as she is! I will swing by the store though and see what they have to say. And again, thanks so much for the input and the great welcome!

gb

I agree with Retro. Here's what I would do.

Type up a small yet professional email explaining the situation. Attach the same photos you posted here without the serial number blurred, (cause that's definitely maple, and that's definitely a rosewood label,) and request a new label with your serial number and a maple designation, just for the sake of historical accuracy if nothing else. They will most likely attempt to contact you via phone just to verify the email, and problem. Then they will most likely sen out a new label, at which point, it's up to you whether or not to apply it.

This is how my situation was handled with a pickguard that had come unglued. I spoke with a lovely woman named Levon. She was most helpful.

Good Luck, the guitar is a beauty.

Most beautifull burst! I really like the soundhole purfling on this too. Very nice package....I want one! I would send off for the proper label and stash it in the case. Rather cool to have a Factory F-up label guitar!!!!

+1 on the purfling.

+1 on the 'sure aint maple'

LOL on the 'send it back for re-siding'

maybe its 'city rosewood' i.e. city chicken?

Thanks again for the feedback! What a great community. I think I will send off an email and see if I can get a factory-correct label sent as well. I'd keep the one it came with in there, but it would just be extra-special to have the additional label as well. She's a bit of a freak, just like me! O:)

gb

Archived