Gibson Brands Forums

help identifying my J-45

rvschulz

picked up this J-45 locally about 6 weeks ago. the serial number is 91710018. this is from the tag inside the soundhole - Bozeman, MT. typed. the same looks like it is impressed under the finish on the headstock, but the last 2 digits are sort of unreadable. any help would be appreciated.

Like the others have posted, need more info! Electronics? Rosewood or Mahogany? Send a pic or two, that would help!

will take a couple of pics this evening - i have no clue about electronics or wood type. any idea how to ficure that out would be appreciated. thanks.

will take a couple of pics this evening - i have no clue about electronics or wood type. any idea how to ficure that out would be appreciated. thanks.

here it is - pics not great: cell phone.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/rvschulz/J-45/2011-03-31_08-10-02_838.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/rvschulz/J-45/2011-03-31_08-09-53_187.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/rvschulz/J-45/2011-03-31_08-09-42_982.jpg

What are you looking to find out about it rvshulz?

It's a very nice looking J-45 [thumbup] built on the 171st day of 1990 and it was the 18th off the production line that day. The serial number embossed in the back of the headstock should match that on the label in the soundhole.

That isn't a J-45 surely. It;s a J-30.

Back in the late 60ties when the J-45 turned square shouldered, it became the forth branch of the H-bird, sq. sh. SJ/C&W mahogany/spruce tree. Some were cherryburst, others had a deeper shade of almost cherrywine gliding into yellow. There might have been more, I can't say, but the headstocks were often brown with a slightly different/updated logo.

I was surprised recently, when I found out there existed a J-30 too. Everybody say this J-30 is a H-bird without the bling, , , but wait a minute, , , that's the square shouldered J-45 ! ! Can this crossover be explained, please - is it the tuners. . .

Apart from that, the J-30 was produced from the mid80ties and about 10 -12years ahead.

Yes, please try, but maybe we'll need the spring to come a little closer. What you do is to close your eyes, , , and listen -

so, some think this is mislabeled as a J-45 ? the tag in the soundhole is typed as J-45 and is an actual Gibson tag ... I happen to own an old LP Deluxe and a 335, so i've seen them before. how can i actually tell ... should i contact someone at Gibson to determine what it is ?

not that i have issues with it. i don't. i brought it to the local songwriter's circle Wednesday ... other guitars being played were 2 Martins, an OLD Ovation, a Taylor, a Seagull and a couple i did not identify. i love how my guitar sounds compared to the others - it is more mid-range and bassy than trebly. The Ovation sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard ...

thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum RV! I guess we Shults's (whichever way it is spelled) don't get very creative with forum names....

The Ovation sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard ...

I'd be careful with that talk! KS may be lurking....

Archived