Gibson Brands Forums

Has Anyone Put Pickups In Their TV Models?

MapleManiac

Get a Baggs M1. I wanted a pup in my '51 J45, I used the Baggs so's not to **** it up. I'm happy with the sound and I can move it to another guitar if I want. I leave the cable loose and hanging out of the sound hole. Works for me. I did put a K&K pure Western Mini in my OJ. Love it but it wasn't a TV. YMMV.

I've tried to install a K&K pure mini in my J-45 TV but there is not enough room on the bridge plate and there is a hole in the middle of the plate, so the K&K middle tranducer can't be glued on wood...:-(

Now I have a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickup and I'm happy with it. If you like it you can install a undersaddle pickup. There are two holes in the bridge. You can see it, when you remove the bone saddle.

Good luck...

I dont have a TV but have an Aaron Lewis SJ, which is based on the specs of a 51' SJ, which sort of makes it a TV.

It came with a fishman matrix infinity which is my pickup of choice and i have it installed on my Furch OM also.

It combines really well with my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI where ive downloaded a number of J-45 and SJ images.

Sounds great through my Marshall and very happy to have it installed.

Get a Baggs M1. I wanted a pup in my '51 J45, I used the Baggs so's not to **** it up. I'm happy with the sound and I can move it to another guitar if I want. I leave the cable loose and hanging out of the sound hole. Works for me. I did put a K&K pure Western Mini in my OJ. Love it but it wasn't a TV. YMMV.

But don't you still have to drill a hole in the side?

Not with the M1, there is a chord that will go through the soundhole and connect to the lead. Completely non intrusive .... but the tone of the M1 is another story, not my cup of tea.

But don't you still have to drill a hole in the side?

I've tried to install a K&K pure mini in my J-45 TV but there is not enough room on the bridge plate and there is a hole in the middle of the plate, so the K&K middle tranducer can't be glued on wood...:-(

Now I have a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickup and I'm happy with it. If you like it you can install a undersaddle pickup. There are two holes in the bridge. You can see it, when you remove the bone saddle.

Good luck...

Interesting. I never actually looked at the bridge plate on my TVSJ. I wonder if there is room for the K&K buttons?

Also, I would use the 1/8" taper-pin jack on the guitar, so there wouldn't be a 1/2" hole through it.

What a tough choice! I would never do it but I am also not a gigging musician. I would say if you are a gigging musician, you need to bring your best friend on stage. Although I am sure you guys are aware that they are built a bit lighter and are a bit more fragile than the standard models. My suggestion would be have a luthier do it (especially if you are worried about it even being there). However, my '53 J-45 will stay nice and original.....

So far I have not installed a pickup in the J-45 TV. I like to keep this guitar straight acoustic, as it is one of the best sounding acoustic I have ever heard. If I want to play it at a show, I stick a sound hole pickup in it and go. I have a 2006 standard that has a pickup system that I use most of the time if I need to use amplification. It seems that once you amplify an acoustic guitar they all sound similar, so no need drill out the tail block on the TV. However, it might happen one day.

Archived