Gibson Brands Forums

To my UK friends

ksdaddy

My girls are watching the (recorded) VMA awards. I didn't watch it while it was on.

Please tell me you aren't like Russell Brand. Please.

I promise we'll keep Bobcat Goldthwaite, Pauly Shore, and Carrot Top on this side of the pond if you promise to keep him driving on the left side of the road.

Driving on the left side of the road. Wow, I didn't realize the irony in that statement when I typed it.

He's still on and it's only 30 minutes into it. Excuse me, I need to stick knitting needles into my ears. I'll never hear music again but it's a small price to pay if I don't have to hear him anymore.

i also watched and thought him to be an odd choice for host. the whole show was poorly scripted and produced. i didn't find him funny and it seemed that he realized the same thing himself by the way he'd make a joke and abbreviate the traditionl pause for laughter knowing there wouldn't be any. rewind to the days of the laugh track.

I cannot speak for others herein, but I am certainly not like him, for he is a young punk and I am an old fart.

My hair is (these days) marginally neater, my clothes (these days) are marginally less outrageous, and I am more articulate than he is to boot - though when riled up, I am probably harder for a foreigner to comprehend. By the same token, I am totally unlike Benny Hill (the master of the Single Entendre) - whom the Americans do seem to have taken to like ducks to water, but whom I think is totally excoriatable.

I personally lean (humour-wise) to Derek and Clive, The Python Team, Kenny Everett, Eddie Izard and Paul Whitehouse, with nods to the Mighty Boosh. However, were all comedians to be shot bar one, I would save Billy Connolly, because were I not to chose him, he would surely hunt me down and kill me.

I dare not even start to enumerate the stereotypes we envisage your good selves being like - Hollywood and the music biz have given us soooooo many to chose from.....

here's a pete townshend quote from a recent reunion/tribute to the who on VH1.

PT on gigging....

"This was our first show for a year or so, so I was rusty on guitar. I felt like I was holding a spade (shovel). I dreamed last night of trying to play the show with a guitar actually covered in soil. I have been playing piano since last July, and only acoustic guitar (on the sofa while watching episodes of Medium or Boston Legal as my way of remembering America). Electric guitar and arm-swinging is not what I do between dog-walks and arthritis. "

he also went on to say that rather than smashing guitars he'd like to drive over 1 million plastic guitar hero guitars with a monster truck. sure, pete.

sorry for the hijack here, ksd, but i didnt feel like bring that whole pete t. thread back that was murdered to a slow and greet (scottish accent) death.

Please tell me you aren't like Russell Brand. Please.

promise to keep him driving on the left side of the road.

How dare you attck one of the greats of Uk entertainment?

He has style and aplomb not seen since the late great Matt Monro.

Try as I may I can not quite emulate the great man's coiffure and my rather portly figure struggles a tad to fit a pair of strides such as his.

Shame on you KSD

If you gonna attck the talentless creep then do it properly!

I am getting a real grumpy old man but Russell Bland is beyound the pail ( both spelling mistakes intentional)

To try to make up for wit and comedy but looking like a reject from Kiss and speaking like C3PO on speed does not impress me much.

I have a solution though, the Aussies drive on the left don't they?

They gave us Dame Edna Everage, they possibly deserve this T*rd in return. ( by the way Aus, love Sir Les just not the Dame)

As for US comedy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>pass!

With Nik here all except Paul Whitehouse

It's a shame the world never really got Derek and Clive!

As for PT cunk, I am sorry I do not understand why you guys are so impressed.

Each to his own........One mans meat is another mans poison etc etc

Have a great week folks!

Russell Brand - didn't see the show but I have heard him on his BBC Radio 2 show occasionally whilst waiting for one of the children somewhere in Essex, late on a saturday night.

Now he would not have too much in the way of competition at that time but I've always found him to be refreshingly different, very articulate and funny. Each to his own.

No disrespect to all my North American friends but he'll struggle to concour the colonies!

Must dash as I have to apply the hair gel before the troops arrive at the office.

As for PT - my children are quite capable of destroying Guitar Hero without anyone's help. BTW, this is the only "Gibson" my wife has bought and is ever likely to. Mind you, I'd prefer them to learn Sunshine Of Your Love on Guitar Hero rather than killing stuff! And Walter (4) knows the difference between a Les Paul and an ES335 - good lad I say, he'll go far.

Truly sorry ksd (for the hijack.....) but don't get me started on Guitar Hero.

There are now people returning 'Guitar/Amp/Strap/Lead/Plectrum - in - box' sets to the shops they bought them from - because it doesn't sound like Guitar Hero. They mash their fingers on the buttons (frets, we call them) and slash their fingers across the strings, but the sound is all wrong and horrible, and nobody told them they would have to take it back to the shop to be tuned, and why don't the buttons (frets, we call them, again) light up. Even jumping around and doing grimaces doesn't make it sound any different, and I want my money back..... I've been trying for like a week dude and STILL it sound nothing like Guitar Hero.

But then - it's a sign of the times. They were interviewing school-kids the other day:

Interviewer: What do you want to do when you leave school?

Kid: Be famous and stuff, you know, like, innit.

Interviewer: What do you want to become famous for doing?

Kid: For? What? Nothing, like, just, like famous and stuff, you know, like, innit.

Archived