Gibson Brands Forums

A new SG pour moi! SG Special Tribute

HarpBoy

Here's my new SG Special Tribute plugged into my 1956 Magnatone Varsity Deluxe. What a nice guitar: it's incredibly light and resonant, and the fit and finish are superb. This particular one has a two-piece body with the seam exactly in the middle, but I've seen at least one made of 3 or more pieces, as are most of the LP Tributes (all that I've seen). I really like the satin finish on it as well; it feels like a nice piece of high quality furniture. P90s are my all time favorite pickups and when I plugged this little honey into a Fender '57 Deluxe reissue at my local Long & McQuade I was enthralled. This is one sweet little guitar and I think they are a terrific value.

In case you missed it the first time...

Cheers

Here's my new SG plugged into my 1956 Magnatone Varsity Deluxe. What a nice guitar: it's incredibly light and resonant, and the fit and finish are superb. This particular one has a two-piece body with the seam exactly in the middle, but I've seen at least one made of 3 or more pieces, as are most of the LP Tributes. I really like the satin finish on it as well; it feels like a nice piece of high quality furniture. P90s are my all time favorite pickups and when I plugged this little honey into a Fender '57 Deluxe reissue at my local Long & McQuade I was enthralled. This is one sweet little guitar and I think they are a terrific value.

Here's a picture on Flickr...

Cheers

Nice!

What kind of case did you get? I see it off to the right - looks like a RoadRunner.

I need one for my SG Special but am caught up between the $94 RR case or going $130 for an SKB.

Undecided.

Nice!

What kind of case did you get? I see it off to the right - looks like a RoadRunner.

I need one for my SG Special but am caught up between the $94 RR case or going $130 for an SKB.

Undecided.

It's an SKB, but an older model. My local shop had it stock in old inventory somewhere, so I got it for a bit of a deal. Doesn't have the TSA latches, etc, but works fine and looks good. I'm not comfortable putting a Gibson with their slanted headstocks in a gigbag.

Enjoying my new SG....

Cheers

I played one of these in a store today, and wow. I was blown away. Addmitedly I've never played a Gibson before, but it sure does make my G-400 feel and sound a bit less than what it used to. They were asking $799, and if I wasn't already paying off an amp I would have bought it.

I played one of these in a store today, and wow. I was blown away. Addmitedly I've never played a Gibson before, but it sure does make my G-400 feel and sound a bit less than what it used to. They were asking $799, and if I wasn't already paying off an amp I would have bought it.

No doubt about it, they're pretty nice guitars for a great price. Of course, the sound is certainly going to be considerably different than your G-400, primarily due to the P90s vs the humbuckers in your Epi. Epi's humbuckers do tend to be a bit muddy, but I wouldn't assume that it sounds so much better just because it's a Gibson and yours is an Epiphone. Years ago I had an Epiphone '56 Goldtop with P90s that sounded pretty darn good. In fact it was that guitar that turned me on to P90s. The feel, on the other hand, can be attributed to a lighter build (better and probably thinner mahogany) and the fret job, which on my SG seems to have been Plek'd. The fretboard is really, really nice.

Yup, I'm pretty impressed with this new guitar, and I was never a fan of SGs, and was largely ambivalent about the Gibson brand in general, due to what seemed to me to be overpriced, relatively poorly finished guitars (relative to what they cost, in particular). Gibson may have won me over with this little sweetie.

Cheers

That's exactly how I felt before I played this guitar. I mean the quality of Epiphones are very good, IMO, but this is quite different. The finish alone is pretty amazing. Not sure if all Gibsons come like that, but it's great being that I'm in a super humid climate where you never really stop sweating. The SG style is my current guitar of choice.

I do find the pickups on my G-400 to be pretty muddy. In fact I was planning on getting some GFS mean 90's for it, but I'm kind of thinking the money might be better off going toward the 60's tribute. I don't know how this stacks up to other Gibson SG's, but as far as I know it's the only one that comes with P90's. I could be, and probably am wrong about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice SG, I too recently got an SG special tribute-black. I love it. The P-90s are more than i ever expected. They can give an awesome growl. I own an Epi G400 as well and loved everything about it....until now. I didn't believe there would be so many differences between the two but i now see what Gibson quality is all about. Enjoy! I know i will.

...but as far as I know it's the only one that comes with P90's. I could be, and probably am wrong about that.

Apparently Guitar Center has an SG Classic available only through them that has P90's, gloss finish, a bound neck and pearl Gibson logo, if those are important to you. But it looks like it's several hundred more than the tribute. To order it here in Canada, it's over $500 more. I couldn't care less about binding on the neck (in fact don't really like stark white binding in general) nor gloss finish (it's a player, not a show piece) so for me the Tribute is a much better value. Gotta love those P90s, though! Oh, and the 60's slim taper neck is to die for, which the Classic does not have either. From an aesthetics perspective, although a minor consideration for me, I also prefer the small pickguard to the batwing style.

Cheers

Hey, thanks for the heads up. The SG Classic looks pretty nice, but I don't really see what makes it more expensive. The binding isn't that great looking, imo. If it was the kind that wraps around the whole headstock like the Prophecy SG I would be into it... Also not crazy about the batwing pickguard. Why is it $200 more? I don't see it either. Still, nice to have options, and I appreciate you pointing that out to me.

I am curious though. Does gloss finish mean it's not super slick like the satin finish? Because for me that non-sticky finish is one of the main reasons for me to get the guitar (I live in humid South Florida where you never stop sweating). That and the p90's of course.

I am curious though. Does gloss finish mean it's not super slick like the satin finish? Because for me that non-sticky finish is one of the main reasons for me to get the guitar (I live in humid South Florida where you never stop sweating). That and the p90's of course.

I've always found a gloss finish to be stickier than a satin one. And I have to admit that for me, I think the wonderful satin finish against my forearm reminds me, in a subliminal way, of my days as a little guy sitting in old baptist church pews made of oak and worn to a satin finish over fifty years of use by the faithful. My dad was a preacher and I spent many years caressing a wonderful, velvety soft patina on old growth hardwood during his sermons. I'm not kidding; I think that's what my sweet new SG reminds me of against my skin. I just really, really like it.

I'm guessing that it's also not sticky in the humidity.

Cheers

Archived