Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Crisis

Enmitygauged

Ok Guys down there at the bottom of the sig. is a list of my gear. I play acoustic grunge (solo) and hardcore punk in a band. I am strickly rhythm. I use the Mesa Dual Rec for this job. My issue is although its a great amp in order for me to get the sweet spot out of it I delete all but the drummer from the sound mix (even dropping it to the 50watt setting). Now Im not wealthy but to say gainfully employed where as the rest of the band with exception of the drummer are not. So it is up to me to make my rig fit the mix. My question is in the 40-60 watt range can anyone make a recommendation for a sweet (rise against style) sound. I am looking at a Trans Atlantic but I havent heard it yet (live) The other guitarist runs a BFG mainly on Neck pick up (p90) into a Marshall 60 watt im not sure of the exact model but it is a tube. Any help would be appreciated. Just Ideas I know most people are going to say take your LP into the store and try a heap of different amps but really I tried that and at least with my store I ran out of options but on a positive side I know exactly what rig to set up for ACDC or GNR sounds :P

I use a attenuator to keep the volume down while keeping that warm hot tube tone... I'm running the Aracom PRX150-DAG attenuator and it just plain kicksass [thumbup][thumbup] ... It also works great on my VOXAC50, but I mainly use it for my DirtyBoy

IMG00096-20110408-1849.jpg

I use a attenuator to keep the volume down while keeping that warm hot tube tone... I'm running the Aracom PRX150-DAG attenuator and it just plain kicksass [thumbup][thumbup] ... It also works great on my VOXAC50, but I mainly use it for my DirtyBoy

IMG00096-20110408-1849.jpg

Thanks man. I will look into it for sure. :)

I don't think so, if you run your effects chain pre-amp. It would take the signal from the ISP (assuming it is last in the chain) and compress it.

Cool I will have a look at it if I can find one here. Never heard of the brand before.

Rise Against has gone through a few guitar players over the years. Some of which played Mesa's, and others Marshall's. I know how you feel...take a look at my gear below. When I play in my hard rock band I play the Mesa Dual Rec. When doing the punk rock thing I use my Marshall 900. The Marshall is 50 watts, and I can switch it down to 25 watts, and it is perfect.

Rise Against has gone through a few guitar players over the years. Some of which played Mesa's, and others Marshall's. I know how you feel...take a look at my gear below. When I play in my hard rock band I play the Mesa Dual Rec. When doing the punk rock thing I use my Marshall 900. The Marshall is 50 watts, and I can switch it down to 25 watts, and it is perfect.

I did look at the 900 before I got my Mesa, the only reason I didnt go with it was it was a beat up second hander that looked older than me. I might take a trip to the store today and run through it again anyone in Australia want a dual rec?

Look into the Egnater Renagade........1X12 or 2X12 combo.......It sounds great loud, at full 65 watts,

and great quiet at 18 watts............I own one, and other Egnater amps..............

Look into the Egnater Renagade........1X12 or 2X12 combo.......It sounds great loud, at full 65 watts,

and great quiet at 18 watts............I own one, and other Egnater amps..............

I did try one at the store. It didnt quite do it for me. That Mesa (scream like you love it) sound is what I love I know Rise against also used a Randall amp at one point. I have to admit though those Egnaters are mighty fine beasts.

Well, depends on which type of Rise Against sound you want [biggrin]

Personally, if you are happy with your tone, get an attenuator.

Otherwise, I'd say go Marshall, but I'm biased against Mesas...

Ive never seen one before I might have to do some research. Its definitely the Zac Blair sound more than the earlier sounds. I know he uses MESA and the JCM 900 I just watched the AM ring show and he was running a dual rec for that show. I have the right sound ATM its just destroys everything else volume wise. I think I will look at costs of the Attenuator VS the JCM and whether or not I want another head sitting around for the wife to yell at me about.

I did try one at the store. It didnt quite do it for me. That Mesa (scream like you love it) sound is what I love I know Rise against also used a Randall amp at one point. I have to admit though those Egnaters are mighty fine beasts.

To each their own but you may have given up a little soon on that Renegade. They are amazingly versatile and I think Mesa-ble with the right settings. I want one badly but my Rebel 30 meets my needs so it's hard to justify the Renegade to the boss . . . if you know what I mean?

Clean channel on 65 watts has tons of overhead. Dirty channel on 18 makes it scream at lower settings. Have similar features on the Rebel 30 just not quite the variety of tone.

To each their own but you may have given up a little soon on that Renegade. They are amazingly versatile and I think Mesa-ble with the right settings. I want one badly but my Rebel 30 meets my needs so it's hard to justify the Renegade to the boss . . . if you know what I mean?

Clean channel on 65 watts has tons of overhead. Dirty channel on 18 makes it scream at lower settings. Have similar features on the Rebel 30 just not quite the variety of tone.

to be honest Im not sure it was the Renegade I will definitely have a look if they have one. The Mesa was meant to be my be all and end all amp never buy another one argument with the missus. Now I am screwed. lol.

Attenuators run about 300-500 for good ones (I believe, at least that's what I saw in my research when I was looking for them) so figure a good head would be about a grand.

Your choice though

Man I wish it was the same dollar for dollar here. Even though our dollar is better than the USD a good head here is 3 grand RRP easy maybe 2200 if you know the place and can talk em down.

I paid 3000 for this

http://www.derringers.com.au/products/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-Solo-100.html

Well, depends on which type of Rise Against sound you want [biggrin]

Personally, if you are happy with your tone, get an attenuator.

Otherwise, I'd say go Marshall, but I'm biased against Mesas...

And I love Mesas, to each their own. I'd say go with the attenuator since you seem to love the dual rec and your only issue is volume.

Ah, the Rebels, nice as well....So aren't the Tweakers, although the Tweaker isn't for the OP...I also own Egnater's Tourmaster Head; 4 channels, and

your choice from 10 to 100 watts each channel....So versatile that I don't use mine !!!!! True !!!!! The Renagade takes pedals well; for more gain, just

use a Fulltone Plimsoul or a similar QUALITY unit, and you have an overdrive monster......I consider Egnater amps affordable BOUTIQUE AMPS....

Mesa Boogies are great......But, loud as heck.....

to be honest Im not sure it was the Renegade I will definitely have a look if they have one. The Mesa was meant to be my be all and end all amp never buy another one argument with the missus. Now I am screwed. lol.

Hmmm..........

Attenuators run about 300-500 for good ones (I believe, at least that's what I saw in my research when I was looking for them) so figure a good head would be about a grand.

Your choice though

Attenuators do work, heck, I used one 25/35 years ago......GOOD ONES are expensive, and as Nate mentions, it's a tough call; 300-500 for a good attenuator,

or 300-500 more for a new combo or head........SOME claim that attenuators are tone suckers, or stress amps...I dunno...Tough call..........

For whats its worth my 2 cents. Keep your Mesa you will be sorry if you get rid of it. I have one love it...buts it is really ******* too loud for most uses.

Have you checked out Orange Tiny Terror??? They are low wattage tube and are loud through a 4x12 and not terribly expensive...not cheap either. What I have heard it sounded Great!

For whats its worth my 2 cents. Keep your Mesa you will be sorry if you get rid of it. I have one love it...buts it is really ******* too loud for most uses.

Have you checked out Orange Tiny Terror??? They are low wattage tube and are loud through a 4x12 and not terribly expensive...not cheap either. What I have heard it sounded Great!

Dron, indeed there are two basic schools of thought; only keep what one needs, and keep and use what one will use....I am in that second camp...

I have amps and guitars I haven't used in years, but I will...As such, the OP should keep his Mesa, and add to it what he needs now...IMHO.....

......I consider Egnater amps affordable BOUTIQUE AMPS....

Mesa Boogies are great......But, loud as heck.....

Then there are the Egnater boutique amps, the MOD50 I still brag on every chance I get is still hands down the best amp I've played. And I guarantee you can Mesa that bad boy along with any other preamp you choose to pair it with. And with a 20W setting, just in case you're still too loud at 50. You can get 'em with EL34s, 6L6s, or KT88s too. But now you are in the 2.5K boutique range.

Though I'd almost feel like a nut to have one, the Renegade is "close enough" that I would probably still head there first but the MOD50 has just always been a dream.

Some, knock it, because it emulates other amps and that is somewhat true but when you play one side by side with the amp it is emulating and you like Bruce's version better . . .

Plus where else you gonna get a Bassman or Twin Deluxe and a Recto or Marshall in the same amp at the same time and it's NOT a digital modeler. It is specifically designed 12AX7 preamp modules duplicating those sounds.

I am starting to have an eargasm . . . got to go now.

Just enjoy your decision where ever it leads you.

After going through it with Derringers ( The Store ) we hooked up an attenuator to the MESA in the store dialed it in and it worked a treat. I am just waiting on a reply from their supplier as to what happens to the MESA warranty if anything..... If its all clear it definitely seems the way to go. I actually had a tiny terror and still have a Night train. Awesome little amps just not the sound I want. The Night train is very Gingle Jangle typical VOX and the TT is more metal than what I want. Thanks Everyone for your help problem solved.

Archived