Gibson Brands Forums

Getting back into the Piano and loving it!!

Duende

I haven't practiced the piano for over ten years but have, over the last few months, really fallen back in love with it and decided to teach it after the Easter. I will start with beginner/intermediate pupils until I build my technique up.

Here is something I only felt confident in posting when my friend from the GAS group (MLP) Beverley gave it the green light. I love the feeling of being all new again to it and the excitement of trying out new pieces!! msp_thumbup.gif

Blues Improvisation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vv1xk6aoFg&feature=channel_video_title

Excerpt from a piece I wrote for the Harpsichord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZIftSVc6A&feature=channel_video_title

Matt

Hey Matt -

Lookin' at your reflection in the piano vid, if you had some dark glasses on, you'd be lookin' mighty like Mr Ray Charles. B)

And, wherever did you get onto a harpsichord?

I have my thick Austin Powers glasses on in this clip, so I will take Ray anytime over Mr Powers! LMAO. The Harpsichord sound was done on my electric piano, a Yamaha clavinova. The voices on there are very realistic!

Matt

I too dabble on the keys.... As a matter of fact I took lesson from the age of 5 to 8 years old....

Back when I was a gigger, I structured most of my guitar solos on piano first, because it helped me to develop a beginning, middle and an end to my solo breaks. Even though rock n roll is supposed to be free of structure, I became a prisoner to that rigid coherency that structure brings, and piano does that for me.... maybe that's why I can't play blues worth a ****

Glad to see you're doing it Matt, but don't stray too far away from your axe

Great stuff Matt. Lots of great blues feeling to it. I haven't practiced my piano in a very long time. Maybe I should get back into it again too. I look at the stuff I played when I was 18 (Gershwin, Mozart, etc.) and I think it'll take a very long time to get back to that same level. But who knows, maybe I can get there again...

I too dabble on the keys.... As a matter of fact I took lesson from the age of 5 to 8 years old....

Back when I was a gigger, I structured most of my guitar solos on piano first, because it helped me to develop a beginning, middle and an end to my solo breaks. Even though rock n roll is supposed to be free of structure, I became a prisoner to that rigid coherency that structure brings, and piano does that for me.... maybe that's why I can't play blues worth a ****

Glad to see you're doing it Matt, but don't stray too far away from your axe

That is very interesting how it gave you that type of structure. It sounds like you are describing it as an almost doubled edged sword.

Yeah, Matt! Like your Blues, very laid back and easy going. [thumbup] Like the "Happy but Haunting" feel of your Harpsichord Piece, too.

cheers

Great stuff Matt. Lots of great blues feeling to it. I haven't practiced my piano in a very long time. Maybe I should get back into it again too. I look at the stuff I played when I was 18 (Gershwin, Mozart, etc.) and I think it'll take a very long time to get back to that same level. But who knows, maybe I can get there again...

Rocketman

Upstairs we have studio/guitar room and now we have our dining room as a Piano room with two pianos, an upright and a electric piano. On the wall we have literally thousands of pieces of sheet music. So I have loads of stuff to get completely immersed in!

I am going to go through some of the movements of Bach's French suites and a few of the easier Chopin Waltz' over the next few months. Bach and Chopin are two of my favourite keyboard composers and one of my real heros (another Canadian, must be something in the water!) is Glen Gould. His playing really is just amazing, precise, full of intelligence and musicality msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Archived