Gibson Brands Forums

P94's into G400, opinions please?

atj13

I have an 08 G400 in light blue metallic, I believe that p94's will fit into a humbucker cavity. Would it be best to change out both stock humbuckers and replace with 2 x p94s or one and and something else? If so would you install coil tapping and which pup would you put where? Any thoughts gratefully accepted,

Just spitballing here, all dumb questions I know but I dont play, its' my sons guitar and he cant be bothered posting so here I am.

Thanks,

Wellllllll.... Let's see.

The G-400 Comes STOCK with:

Bridge - HOTCH(G), 13.5Kohm

Neck - 57CH(G), 8.2Kohm

These pickups are actually DECENT all by themselves. Several folks

just leave 'em. They are also the STOCK pickups for EPI Les Pauls, and

EPI Flying Vs. I use them in "project Guitars" all the time, unless I have

something from "GuitarFetish" specifically in mind. (More about GuitarFetish

in a sec...).

What kind of AMP is your Son playing thru? The reason I ask is that P-94s cost about

$129.00 EACH (Yes, there is one specifically for Bridge, one for Neck).

If his amp is just a small bedroom amp, the $$$ may be better spent torward a

better quality amp to achieve the tone he seeks.

OK, back to PICKUPS...

Should the P-90/P-94 SOUND be what YE SEEK, let me offer up a HIGHLY

"Wallet-Friendly" alternative:

GUITARFETISH. They sell very good quality and DECENTLY priced pickups.

I am a true beliver, as are several of our Forum members. I have a set of

GF pups in my Raven West LP (totally satisfied), and I use them in project gits.

Here's the $$$ breakdown.

Musicians Friend sells P-94s for $129 - $139 EACH.

GuitarFetish sells their "Dream 90" and "Mean 90" pups for $29 - $34 EACH.

Basically, knock $100 off each pup.

Our Forum members will be chiming in with their opinions, I'm sure.

MY experience with GF has been stellar.

Here's the link to GUITARFETISH:

(Scroll down to "Dream 90s", the further down to "Mean 90's".

They're Humbucker-Sized, and fit in standard HB slot).

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

Give us FEEDBACK!!!!!!! [biggrin]

I put Kent Armstrong P94 copies into a G400 once, and it sounded great.

100_0431-1.jpg

100_0436.jpg

To answer your questions, I'd need to know why you're doing it and what sounds you're chasing. Having said that, I find P90/P94 type big single coils are very versatile.

I was after early Santana, Jethro Tull and Who sounds, and I got those alright, once I worked out that I needed different gain and EQ settings on my amp.

The output of a standard P90/P94 type pickup is going to be similar to the stock neck pup in your G400, around 7.5-8k. If you were going to just replace one pup, that would be the combination that would balance best. If you replace both, try to get a slightly hotter bridge version, around 10-10.5k. Otherwise, you can balance outputs via height adjustment; drop the neck pup slightly lower and raise the bridge one.

I have an '010 G400 that I'm planning Seymour Duncan P-Rail for. P90s plus HBs at the flip of a switch. Check out the Seymour Duncan Forum. Lots of helpful stuff over there. The P90 vs PAF debate comes up often. A fair number of P90 SG guys over there as well. Check out the P-Rails sound bytes & look for a YouTube video by someone called Liongraulty (I think). He has a couple of P-Rails videos playing a mean slide guitar on a flat-top Les Paul. Great videos, sold me on the P-Rails.

Good Luck

Wellllllll.... Let's see.

The G-400 Comes STOCK with:

Bridge - HOTCH(G), 13.5Kohm

Neck - 57CH(G), 8.2Kohm

These pickups are actually DECENT all by themselves. Several folks

just leave 'em. They are also the STOCK pickups for EPI Les Pauls, and

EPI Flying Vs. I use them in "project Guitars" all the time, unless I have

something from "GuitarFetish" specifically in mind. (More about GuitarFetish

in a sec...).

What kind of AMP is your Son playing thru? The reason I ask is that P-94s cost about

$129.00 EACH (Yes, there is one specifically for Bridge, one for Neck).

If his amp is just a small bedroom amp, the $$$ may be better spent torward a

better quality amp to achieve the tone he seeks.

OK, back to PICKUPS...

Should the P-90/P-94 SOUND be what YE SEEK, let me offer up a HIGHLY

"Wallet-Friendly" alternative:

GUITARFETISH. They sell very good quality and DECENTLY priced pickups.

I am a true beliver, as are several of our Forum members. I have a set of

GF pups in my Raven West LP (totally satisfied), and I use them in project gits.

Here's the $$$ breakdown.

Musicians Friend sells P-94s for $129 - $139 EACH.

GuitarFetish sells their "Dream 90" and "Mean 90" pups for $29 - $34 EACH.

Basically, knock $100 off each pup.

Our Forum members will be chiming in with their opinions, I'm sure.

MY experience with GF has been stellar.

Here's the link to GUITARFETISH:

(Scroll down to "Dream 90s", the further down to "Mean 90's".

They're Humbucker-Sized, and fit in standard HB slot).

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

Give us FEEDBACK!!!!!!! [biggrin]Hi there, thanks for the very generous and detailed reply, he has a Vox AC4 so he is not into the bigger stuff yet, as well a Marshall MG30 which is a bit of a toy I suppose. Thanks again to all who replied, very much appreciated,

Regards,

Hey atj13-

I just installed Gibson P-94s in my epi les paul custom. Here is the a link to the thread:

Les paul custom p-94 link

First, this is not an inexpensive upgrade...I think I paid about $300 for the pickups after taxes and it took over 2 months for them to arrive from Gibson. I sold my Vox AC4TV to offset some of the cost. :(

Second...I love the sound and it is a nice, and more important, very noticeable improvement over the stock humbuckers, if the p-90 sound is what you like.

I considered the p-rails as well because it seems to be a very versatile option (infinite possibilities!), but I loved the aesthetic of the p-94.

I put the P-Rails in an Epiphone Broadway and in an Epiphone Byrdland Elite

Loved the results in both

Yesterday I got this guy. Like new

Pickups seem OK - are they the same as referred to above?

Kluson tuners added and had to move bridge - it was FU

G-400 '65 Reissue w/Maestro Vibrola (2005)

smfront.jpg

smallanglefrt.jpg

smkluson.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi!

I am doing that right now - putting P94s into my 08 G400 ... will let you know about the result. what I consider more important for the G400 is a remedy to the neck-dive problem. that may be an upgrade to lighter (Kluson-type) tuners, or adding a Bigsby. The neck dive is the real nuisance with the G400 and no, that is not a problem of all SG-style guitars. my gibson SG Standard is perfectly well balanced thanks to the smaller headstock, the klusons, and maybe the fact that it is, in general, a way more lighter guitar ....

yours

wolfi

hi!

ok ... here it is. details are still missing, such as a roller bridge, vol/tone knobs and a tusq nut. what can I say ...

the P94s do an amazing job, and there is no comparison to the EPI - pups. the bigsby B5 stays well in tune, but i will remove the vibramate since it

tends to pull out the studs - therefore i will screw the bigsby into the body and cover the studholes with the classic "custom made" plate.

the neckdive of the G400 is not completely cured, therefore I tend to equip it with Klusons ...

yours

wolfi

post-26049-067361600 1304946452_thumb.jpg

hi!

I am doing that right now - putting P94s into my 08 G400 ... will let you know about the result. what I consider more important for the G400 is a remedy to the neck-dive problem. that may be an upgrade to lighter (Kluson-type) tuners, or adding a Bigsby. The neck dive is the real nuisance with the G400 and no, that is not a problem of all SG-style guitars. my gibson SG Standard is perfectly well balanced thanks to the smaller headstock, the klusons, and maybe the fact that it is, in general, a way more lighter guitar ....

yours

wolfi

+1

i had a g400 and as soon as i changed the heavy stock tuners to klusons, the neck dive issue was gone. (i also used a leather strap) and i also had a Gibson SG and it didnt have any neck dive issue at all stock.

Personally I'd go with Animalfarm's suggestions first.

I've added pickups to archtops and replaced defective pickups, but frankly would rather spend the money on a different guitar than messing with one that functions and plays well. And... I've put my money where my mouth is.

Animalfarm's comment about the amp is an especially good one, IMHO.

As for guitar fetish... I think they even have some inexpensive "clone" guitars that may make far more sense than ripping out perfectly good electronics from a nice guitar.

That's personal opinion, and I'm an "old guy." But it would have been my opinion as a 20-y-o.

One of the guys on the Epiphone forums even got a "second" of one of the guitar fetish instruments and, with some adjustment, did quite well with it.

It looks to me that heavy guitar modding should probably best be done with the least expensive, but nicely playable, guitar possible because as you've read here, there can be some interesting glitches.

EDIT: I just looked at these p90 "blems" at Guitar Fetish. For less than buying a p90 set, how about a whole guitar?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Spring-Cleaning-BLOWOUT-Sale-At-or-BELOW-COST_c_185.html

m

Personally I'd go with Animalfarm's suggestions first.

I've added pickups to archtops and replaced defective pickups, but frankly would rather spend the money on a different guitar than messing with one that functions and plays well. And... I've put my money where my mouth is.

Animalfarm's comment about the amp is an especially good one, IMHO.

As for guitar fetish... I think they even have some inexpensive "clone" guitars that may make far more sense than ripping out perfectly good electronics from a nice guitar.

That's personal opinion, and I'm an "old guy." But it would have been my opinion as a 20-y-o.

One of the guys on the Epiphone forums even got a "second" of one of the guitar fetish instruments and, with some adjustment, did quite well with it.

It looks to me that heavy guitar modding should probably best be done with the least expensive, but nicely playable, guitar possible because as you've read here, there can be some interesting glitches.

EDIT: I just looked at these p90 "blems" at Guitar Fetish. For less than buying a p90 set, how about a whole guitar?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Spring-Cleaning-BLOWOUT-Sale-At-or-BELOW-COST_c_185.html

m

+1 words of wisdom

Hey atj13-

I just installed Gibson P-94s in my epi les paul custom. Here is the a link to the thread:

Les paul custom p-94 link

First, this is not an inexpensive upgrade...I think I paid about $300 for the pickups after taxes and it took over 2 months for them to arrive from Gibson. I sold my Vox AC4TV to offset some of the cost. :(

Second...I love the sound and it is a nice, and more important, very noticeable improvement over the stock humbuckers, if the p-90 sound is what you like.

I considered the p-rails as well because it seems to be a very versatile option (infinite possibilities!), but I loved the aesthetic of the p-94.

thanks for the reply, well I have an AC4TV and will cut off my arm before I part with that, actually I have the hots now for an SG Classic Faded, just need to money to fall out of the sky and I can buy it! Will probably leave the g400 stock as many have said the stock pups are fine and I dont have a problem with them, the Classic would be a dream come true and I guess I need to have some humbuggies at least.

thanks for the reply, well I have an AC4TV and will cut off my arm before I part with that, actually I have the hots now for an SG Classic Faded, just need to money to fall out of the sky and I can buy it! Will probably leave the g400 stock as many have said the stock pups are fine and I dont have a problem with them, the Classic would be a dream come true and I guess I need to have some humbuggies at least.

I didn't a problem with the stock humbuckers on my LPC, I just thought it sounded a lot like my dot, and I had a few bucks kicking around for the P-94s. My AC4TV didn't go far...I sold it to a friend who can't use it because he lives in an apartment and is leaving the country in a few months, so maybe it will find its way back to me. I really liked that little amp, but I later picked up a small tube head and cab from a Canadian manufacturer that blew the ac4tv away.

-Cal

Archived