Gibson Brands Forums

I need help on lp please

O'Dea

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me. I'm going to buy a new guitar and set my heart on a Gibson (also because a prs is out of my budget)

My budget has set me between a Studio deluxe or alternatively the Gary Moore BFG. Somehow I'm thinking of going for the BFG but would appreciate some expert opinions.

Can anyone recommend what to get and why?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me. I'm going to buy a new guitar and set my heart on a Gibson (also because a prs is out of my budget)

My budget has set me between a Studio deluxe or alternatively the Gary Moore BFG. Somehow I'm thinking of going for the BFG but would appreciate some expert opinions.

Can anyone recommend what to get and why?

i'd go for the studio deluxe, the GM BFG is a horrible guitar both to play and look at (just my opinion) B)

I personally just stepped over from the Acoustic world to the electric world, I had always messed around with friends Strats or Strat knock offs but as a kid my parents were too cheap and had no desire to get me the electric guitar I begged and pleaded for, for 13 years, talk about crushing your child's aspirations at the most important time of there life, silly noobs! Anywho for my 25th birthday I said screw it and went out and took the plunge, I spent Jan to the start of April looking and testing all types of Epiphone's trying to find "the one" well came April 1 the local music superstore here (Long and McQuade) April was the Gibson month, so I went in and said what is this all about. The salesman replied "Tell me what Gibson guitar you want and you leave here with it today" after picking my jaw up off the floor I stuttered out "I want an Ebony Explorer" Sadly they didn't have it in stock and had to bring it in and to make it worse it was on a Friday, alas the weekend was not my friend for once! After waiting so paitently over the weekend they called Monday afternoon and well Monday after work I put a down payment on the guitar and left with my Explorer in hand and a smile from one ear to the other. This was my first dealing with a big box music store and I must say not only did they know there stuff but they are definitely in business to make sure people can make music, I didn't know it at the time but Long and McQuade actually finance there guitars and set me up on a program to pay off my guitar in 3 years to the tune of $41 per month with the option to go in and pay onto it or pay it off completely with no penalties, utterly amazing. If I had of known half of that years ago I would have jumped on my dream, sorry for the long winded reply in short you really have to go with what you want, I am willing to bet now if I had of settled for any other guitar besides my explorer I probably would not have been as happy as I am.

Okay, first it should be obvious to you from my avatar that I'm not a "kid."

Second, my schtick is playability and "feel" above all. On an electric tone comes after that, then looks or whatever. "Bling" is totally irrelevant to me, although there are some fancies that I find attractive and some I rather dislike. I'd personally prefer a guitar I consider utterly ugly if it seemed to play itself in my hands and had a decent enough tone from pickups and pots to give an amp chain something decent to work with.

The Gibson head honcho himself has said that because of the handwork on Gibson necks, each is an individual; one is well-advised to try before one buys, if at all possible. Since we're all individuals, too, that sounds like a great idea.

I'd add that if you can't do that, at least play a guitar that has the same nominal neck profile and fret style. I'm assuming you already have played LPs in general and are comfortable with the shape and balance and your personal geometry vis a vis the instrument given your style of playing. Now figure if you want an LP with this or that neck style in the price range you require.

Even relatively minor variations in a guitar can make everything about it "different." For example, I find a 335 size/type almost always feels as if the nut is narrower than it is, even when it's demonstrably the same as on other body styles. It's just how the weight of the body brings my body geometry to bear.

Variations in neck shape can bring similar differences in how you address the neck and fingerboard and even how you pick the thing.

I know that's not quite what you asked... but if you're getting a Gibson, my opinion is that you should get one that will be a true partner for you, not just a nice musical instrument...

m

Wow, Great feed back guys thanks!

Basically, this is going to be a 30th Birthday present from my Girlfriend - so she is scoring Big points!! And i will be going for a new guitar

Unfortunately the local shop (Malta) which sells Gibson has a stock of 3 Lp’s and 3 SG’s so that’s one hell of a choice plus he is about 500 Euro more expensive than what I would pay if I had to order online from Thomann cyber store, so I’m kind of forced to buy online. One other thing that made me curious is that the BFG is priced higher than the Deluxe on Gibson’s web site but I found it cheaper from Thomann.

Sooooo confused!!

Well said, Milo.

Truly, if at all possible, play as many as you can BEFORE you buy. And, if at all possible, play guitars you can actually buy.

Enough can't be said about how magical it can be when a guitar suits you and fits you. I think it is even more important if it is to be your only one, or something you really have to save and stretch for, rather than just one of many that you can aquire. Getting your dream guitar can also be a rewarding experience, as well as the learning curve that goes along with it.

Another thing about various Gibson models is that, Given the variences between individual guitars, neck shapes, color, wieght, ect., It is entirely possible to find one that is just magic to you that works better than another more expensive model. Finding and owning that one guitar can mean more to you and do for you more than a whole stable of them.

You may want to check with somebody else on the forum from Europe, too, on prices from places that could ship to you at the lowest overall (with safe shipping) cost...

Check on the neck style of a guitar in your price range and if there are several, I'd go for the one with the general neck style you prefer. Again, though, that' just me. Any Gibson with a general shape and neck style you enjoy should do well for most types of music regardless what somebody else may think or do.

Oh - and good ongoing luck with the girlfriend. If she's showing she's okay with your pickin', you'll probably get along in other circumstances.

m

Guess ill have to flip a coin on this one. What i like about the BFG is that it looks different and seems to have an interesting pickup configuration, only snag is i cant try on in Malta so it might be a shot in the dark.

One more question, are the pickups on the deluxe the low end pick ups? And is the Deluxe any better than the regular Studio?

Guess ill have to flip a coin on this one. What i like about the BFG is that it looks different and seems to have an interesting pickup configuration, only snag is i cant try on in Malta so it might be a shot in the dark.

One more question, are the pickups on the deluxe the low end pick ups? And is the Deluxe any better than the regular Studio?

Deluxe is the same set up as the traditional (or is it the standard) LP but without the bling. Either way it's a great set up.

Neck pickup: 490R

Bridge pickup: Burstbucker Pro

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone with coil-splitting, 3-way toggle

I personally just stepped over from the Acoustic world to the electric world, I had always messed around with friends Strats or Strat knock offs but as a kid my parents were too cheap and had no desire to get me the electric guitar I begged and pleaded for, for 13 years, talk about crushing your child's aspirations at the most important time of there life, silly noobs! Anywho for my 25th birthday I said screw it and went out and took the plunge, I spent Jan to the start of April looking and testing all types of Epiphone's trying to find "the one" well came April 1 the local music superstore here (Long and McQuade) April was the Gibson month, so I went in and said what is this all about. The salesman replied "Tell me what Gibson guitar you want and you leave here with it today" after picking my jaw up off the floor I stuttered out "I want an Ebony Explorer" Sadly they didn't have it in stock and had to bring it in and to make it worse it was on a Friday, alas the weekend was not my friend for once! After waiting so paitently over the weekend they called Monday afternoon and well Monday after work I put a down payment on the guitar and left with my Explorer in hand and a smile from one ear to the other. This was my first dealing with a big box music store and I must say not only did they know there stuff but they are definitely in business to make sure people can make music, I didn't know it at the time but Long and McQuade actually finance there guitars and set me up on a program to pay off my guitar in 3 years to the tune of $41 per month with the option to go in and pay onto it or pay it off completely with no penalties, utterly amazing. If I had of known half of that years ago I would have jumped on my dream, sorry for the long winded reply in short you really have to go with what you want, I am willing to bet now if I had of settled for any other guitar besides my explorer I probably would not have been as happy as I am.

Its great to be able to order the guitar you want and finance it over 3 years but beware, the interest rate is probably around 17%. Pay it off early and it may be worth it to get what you want right now.

I went that route last year with a 1960 re-issue R0. Paid it off in 10 months so it was a good way to go and I've got an awesome axe out of it.

Guest FarnsBarns

I would NEVER buy a Gibson on the internet. As they are all so different in feel you will almost certainly end up with a guitar that is less then ideal for you.

Before I bought my standard I played at least 40 Standards. in the end it was the one with the finnish colour I least liked that I bought.

When I bought my R6 I must have played 10-15 R6's before I settled on the one I thought would be all wrong (very heavy and a very thick neck, even for 50s necks this one is huge) because it just felt right.

I think it would be worth it to travel to another shop with a larger selection and probably cheaper prices. Large purchases like guitars I prefer to get a hands on feel before dropping the coin. Did you try the SG standard?

There is NOTHING wrong with buying unseen guitars on the internet from a reputable dealer..Five out of seven guitars I own have been bought unseen from AMS or straight from the supplier..and are the best playing axe's I've come across then at any local store...YES i have had to return guitars and amps a few times, due to playability, finish flaws and sound..but never had issues or problems..The one thing I highly suggest is to play the guitars in question IF you can at a local store or dealer so you have a good idea what to look for..Also if you want.. once securing your guitar/amp from the net...Go to your local music shop, and compare to the same or similar models at to see how it stacks up..From what I've heard or seen I must have extremely great luck with guitars, buying over the net from all the horror stories I always hear.

PS: ( NEVER be afraid to use the return policy, if nots to your liking then away it goes!!)

There is NOTHING wrong with buying unseen guitars on the internet from a reputable dealer..Five out of seven guitars I own have been bought unseen from AMS or straight from the supplier..and are the best playing axe's I've come across then at any local store...YES i have had to return guitars and amps a few times, due to playability, finish flaws and sound..but never had issues or problems..The one thing I highly suggest is to play the guitars in question IF you can at a local store or dealer so you have a good idea what to look for..Also if you want.. once securing your guitar/amp from the net...Go to your local music shop, and compare to the same or similar models at to see how it stacks up..From what I've heard or seen I must have extremely great luck with guitars, buying over the net from all the horror stories I always here.

PS: ( NEVER be afraid to use the return policy, if nots to your liking then away it goes!!)

Most of those return policies include a restocking fee, this generally is never charged but can be a very unwanted surprise if you are not expecting it. I know its 3% of the total cost of my guitar if I wanted to return it (like that would ever happen though)

No not an amp, found a beauty LP called class 5 custom on a site called willcutt guitars

Willcutt Guitars...............yup, top notch, love the Hamers they have as well..............[thumbup] ..

Archived