Gibson Brands Forums

best epi les pauls

motowntom

Alright, I might be opening a can of worms, but I am going to buy an epi l.p. and have been wondering what to look for. I am going to eliminate elitest, and any japan stuff and concentrate on korean. I have seen some with the gibson t.r.c. and am looking for input on wich factories and models are known to be better quality. thanks,

cheers

wich factories and models are known to be better quality. thanks,

No help here.... I'm prejudice.

I'm a firm believer that Your perfect (or otherwise) guitar is where You find it.

Got nothing to do with anything but your own style!

I guess if I had to pick one factory based on percentages it would be.......

Willy

The best Les Paul I ever played-bar none-was a 1959 Epi Tribute,it just blew me away in the way it played and the way it sounded.You'd be hard pressed to find any Les Paul-Gibson or otherwisw-to come near it.At a tad over $1,000 it was a bit rich for my blood so I settled for an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro($500) and that's an absolutely sublime guitar also.When I played through a Blues Jr. in the store I was immediately sold on it because it sounded so much like a PAF Les Paul it was uncanny.With the Trad Pro you also have the benifit of coil tapping which turns your humbuckers into single coils.Having said that the single coil function sounds more like a cross between a Jaguar and a Mustang than Tele or Strat but that's not a bad thing.

Of course picking out a guitar is much more a personal matter so although I find these guitars great to play and love the way they sound you may very well not find them to your liking.Your best bet is to go to a guitar store and try as many as you can.ButI think that if you try the models I suggested you may like them,but only you can make the decision to buy it.

I'll toss this is just for opinion-sake:

The best Les Paul I own (and I own six including a Gibson Traditional Pro) and just about the best guitar I've ever played is ....

My MIC Les Paul Prophecy GX! There is just something magical about that guitar for me. Maybe I ended up with one made on a Wednesday before lunch!

Sany0082.jpg

Jim

Some people maintain that one country or factory is better than another, but in all honesty they are all built to the same standard and have to pass quality control before before they are sent off to be sold in the shops. Of course there can be variations in the quality of any guitar from any maker, and you will see the occasional lemon, or the odd rare find of a guitar that is just perfect in every way. The only ones in the Epi line that may feature better woods or better hardware and electrics tend to be some of the signature models like the Slash, the joe Bonemasa, or the Ace Fraley models for example.

My advice would be to go as many guitar shops as you can, and try out every les paul guitar in your price range until you find the one that you think plays and sounds the best regardless of make, country of origin, colour, or prejudice about what you think is supposed to sound better. Let your fingers and your ears decide ;)

Edit...I forgot to mention the prophesy models. they are indeed a bit better but the "metal" look they have scares off a lot of folks.

Archived