Gibson Brands Forums

How many like big bodies and how many like small bodies???

onewilyfool

I prefer a jumbo acoustic, but a smaller classical. I also prefer a non cutaway jumbo. I have a Martin cutaway jumbo and it seems like all the low end is sucked right out of it because of the cutaway when compared to my SJ 200.

IMO,if you are strumming chords it's very hard to beat the sound of the bigger guitars. They sound so rich and have great volume and headroom. Not to say strumming is no good on smaller bodies but you know, relatively speaking. I play fingerstyle so there is a good deal of plucking a string with one right hand finger. I can make that happen on a bigger guitar and I have learned to dig in a bit to get adequate energy into those big tops. But you can see where it's going. The smaller ones can be easier to drive and somehow more responsive with fingerstyle. One of the best examples of this I have ever played is an L-00 sized Kel Kroyden (made by Gibson) owned by board member rar. Just touch it and it rings out. Obviously there are numerous examples of people finger picking mammoth J-200s and so on but relatively... If you have shoulder issues the big ones can be challenging. Lately I have had good success playing a J-185. The narrow waist helps and I do my tricks tilting the neck up and the face of the guitar upward slightly. Unfortunately when I play the slope dreads, which I love the sound of, when I put the thing down I am usually experiencing some pain, so I gave up on those.

I have many sizes = parlour, 00, 000, 0000, J185, deep-bodied slope, regular slope - my most recent - the Martin 0000 (M), has me trending towards favouring a larger body with a shallower depth for a good combination of ergonomics & tone.

I approach the tone of each size on its own terms.

A bit off-topic, but I have the cousins to Clayfingers' guitars - a Radio Grande & a mahogany Nick Lucas:

Smeck&Lucas.jpg

I like small bodies, and the Nick Lucas is the most dread sounding small body, though I like my Roy Smeck too. Excuse the fuzzy photo.

RoyNick.jpg

When I got my Nick Lucas, which has Madagascar Rosewood B&S, and is a custom job, I played some late 90s maple bodied ones, and they sounded great, but I don't think they have the dread sound going on as much as my rosewood, and I'd love a hog one! The Roy Smeck sounds great, and was the first serious acoustic I got, but it, and my AJ, gave me shoulder problems so I play the Nick Lucas mainly. I have a fairly narrow guitar criteria, reissue 30's Gibson 12-fretter signature models - I think I may have exhausted the market, except for maybe a Radio Grande.

Clayfingers

I have many sizes = parlour, 00, 000, 0000, J185, deep-bodied slope, regular slope - my most recent - the Martin 0000 (M), has me trending towards favouring a larger body with a shallower depth for a good combination of ergonomics & tone.

A bit off-topic, but I have the cousins to Clayfingers' guitars - a Radio Grande & a mahogany Nick Lucas:

Smeck&Lucas.jpg

Yggdrasil......the only guitar that you have that seems out of place is that Roy Smeck.......you should really get rid of that one......smile....lol

Smeck&Lucas.jpg

We should get them together! Though Melbourne to Toronto isn't the easiest commute. They would make a nice foursome though, if I was looking for 2 more Gibsons, yours just might be what I would look for.

Like them both. I love the bass response of the Dreds, and jumbos, and the finger style quality of the smaller bodies. I love the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Its kind of in between the Hummingbird, and the J-45 body, perfect for me.

Archived