Gibson Brands Forums

Excess glue? Hummingbird

BoyVader

• 8 years later...

To me, it looks like it might be the  binding on the neck possibly slightly separating from the fretboard.  That would make it not the neck separating from the guitar, but just a cosmetic thing as it appears to only be the binding trim. However, if you just bought the guitar online and received it from the online purchase, and it’s new, and it bothers you, I’d consider sending it back because of the cosmetic glitch.  If it’s a used instrument, and it was represented as being in perfect condition, my suggestion is the same.

Don’t get me wrong, I have some well worn instruments that have similar glitches of glue missing which I usually just add a very small touch of wood glue to, to cosmetically fill a  in a space or I just leave it..  But, if the instrument is new, that’s a different story.

For starters if I were you I’d contact the seller about the raised binding.  I hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

59 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Back I the day there was a saying "No Gibson is glued enough."  I guess this is the alternative.

I thought that was "Only a Gibson is glued enough", a play on the "Only a Gibson is good enough" banner logo, and a reference to Gibson's occasional tendency to leave glue drips on the inside of guitars.

In either case, what I am seeing in the OP's guitar looks more like lacquer cracking than glue. Looking at the corrugation in the  top, the guitar might be a bit dried out, which could cause the cracking at the binding joint to the top. If you can slip a thin feeler gauge into that joint, it's a glue issue. Otherwise, probably just cosmetic.

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

I thought that was "Only a Gibson is glued enough", a play on the "Only a Gibson is good enough" banner logo, and a reference to Gibson's occasional tendency to leave glue drips on the inside of guitars.

In either case, what I am seeing in the OP's guitar looks more like lacquer cracking than glue. Looking at the corrugation in the  top, the guitar might be a bit dried out, which could cause the cracking at the binding joint to the top. If you can slip a thin feeler gauge into that joint, it's a glue issue. Otherwise, probably just cosmetic.

I always heard it said in reference to the seeming tendency for  old Gibsons to exhibit loose braces.