Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk Bell vs Speed Knobs

T17

I had to send my NH back to repair a crooked volume pot. The shaft was coming out of the guitar at an angle due to excess wood trapped between the body of the volume pot and control cavity. Anyways, while that was being done, I noted that Epi had installed speed knobs rather than the bell knobs shown on their website and in retail photos. The tech contacted Epi and they said that they are making a rolling production change to the bells. They sent the tech a set to install while correcting the volume pot issue. It wasn't that big a deal to me, but I told him to go for it since I preferred the look. My only concern was the push-pull pot, but I have a similar set-up on another guitar and the bell worked fine there.

I was expecting they'd send the gold knobs as shown on the Fireburst photos on their website, but instead they sent amber knobs that have reddish tops - closer to what they show on the Trans Amber NH. I was knocked out by how much better the amber bells complement the Fireburst finish. The tech sent the original speed knobs back, so here are some pics showing the knobs side by side in case others out there are curious.

post-31541-020578800 1304181766_thumb.jpg

post-31541-076143800 1304181781_thumb.jpg

post-31541-059253800 1304181799_thumb.jpg

Bones, the knurled chromies look very cool as well. Tie in with the bridge and bucker shine. I wonder what else we'll see out there...

Who's Next!?

Thanks, thinking of putting a tele top hat switch tip on as well.

I had to send my NH back to repair a crooked volume pot. The shaft was coming out of the guitar at an angle due to excess wood trapped between the body of the volume pot and control cavity. Anyways, while that was being done, I noted that Epi had installed speed knobs rather than the bell knobs shown on their website and in retail photos. The tech contacted Epi and they said that they are making a rolling production change to the bells. They sent the tech a set to install while correcting the volume pot issue. It wasn't that big a deal to me, but I told him to go for it since I preferred the look. My only concern was the push-pull pot, but I have a similar set-up on another guitar and the bell worked fine there.

I was expecting they'd send the gold knobs as shown on the Fireburst photos on their website, but instead they sent amber knobs that have reddish tops - closer to what they show on the Trans Amber NH. I was knocked out by how much better the amber bells complement the Fireburst finish. The tech sent the original speed knobs back, so here are some pics showing the knobs side by side in case others out there are curious.

post-31541-020578800 1304181766_thumb.jpg

post-31541-076143800 1304181781_thumb.jpg

post-31541-059253800 1304181799_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the post and your participation in the forum.

We originally were going to use the bell knobs on the Nighthawk. However, after trying them out we found that it was difficult to get a grip on them and pull the push/pull coil-tapping pot up. (As also noted by Trew's post below.) So, we decided to go with a more functional approach and use speed knobs which are easier to grip.

Thanks again,

Epiphone

• 3 months later...

I just got my Epiphone Nighthawk custom reissue and really like this guitar. Plays well and lots of sounds from the push/pull coil tap.

I've decided to change the control knobs for something more comfortable though, I find I hit my fingers on the sharp edge of the volume control. I've ordered some knurled chrome knobs but have a question:

How do you remove the push-pull knob? Can you pull the knob straight off without damaging the switch?

Archived