Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on a Dot?

Brisco

So, my brand new Dot should be in this week and even tho' I don't know what kind of strings come on it stock, I've always been partial to flat-wounds. It's been many years since I've owned an electric guitar and was wondering if flat-wounds would work well on a Dot or should I just leave well enough alone? Or are there strings that in any case (flat-wound or not) that would be a better choice for the Dot.

Love this forum!

Brisco

I use flat wounds (D'Addario Chromes, .011 - .050), but not on my Dot. I use Chromes on my EJ160-E and my ES175. I use regular, round wound .010 - .046 on my Dot. As it's your guitar, feel free to use whatever string you like.

Same on my Dot as on the other electrics of any sort, excluding the one solidbody: Elixir 9-42.

They're a little heavier feeling and, probably, sounding than Ernies or something, but they handle quite well.

I used flats 40 years ago on almost everything electric. Quit. Tried flats again 35 years ago for the jazz boxes. Quit. Tried tapewounds on the 175. Put the 175 into the case where she sat for 20 years. Took her out and put on the Elixirs and she's mostly been the main box for me since.

The Dot is less than a year old, but I didn't mess with it. Factory strings came off and the Elixirs went on as soon as she came home. Handles anything from fat chords to a bit of Bach and blues that way.

But... note that I use bare fingers, not any sort of pick, and I'm pretty gentle on those strings most of the time regardless...

m

Thanks all. Of course I'll use the stock strings for a week or two then make a decision about possibly replacing them. Or not. Dang, but I'm going to be a basket case at work this week until my baby comes in.

Brisco

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

Thanks all. Of course I'll use the stock strings for a week or two then make a decision about possibly replacing them. Or not. Dang, but I'm going to be a basket case at work this week until my baby comes in.

Brisco

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

That's a tough time alright, HGAS (happy guitar anxiety syndrome).

Stock Epi strings don't usualy stay on for more than a day on the ones I've bought new. I did get an ES-175 almost new, but the buyer had new flat wounds on and they sounded good so they're still on. In any case, I think that a news set of strings is the best thing you can do for a new guit, and I recommend round wound D'Addario 10s for starters.

Archived