Gibson Brands Forums

My Les Paul Classic Custom

Testosteroso

I picked this up a few years ago when I worked at Guitar Center. I got it for a ridiculous price during some holiday clearance sale. I love this guitar so much, and it is by far the best guitar I've ever owned. I'm curious if anyone knows any more about this guitar and what the word on the street is.

And here's a picture of my baby,

post-32920-034592100 1304289888_thumb.png

She's got those Black Beauty looks. Very nice.

I don't know the numbers, and Gibson doesn't usually provide production numbers, but you could try - 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766) . . . service@gibson.com

I would guess the numbers would be in line with GC's other special orders - they do them regularly.

I picked this up a few years ago when I worked at Guitar Center. I got it for a ridiculous price during some holiday clearance sale. I love this guitar so much, and it is by far the best guitar I've ever owned. I'm curious if anyone knows any more about this guitar and what the word on the street is.

And here's a picture of my baby,

post-32920-034592100 1304289888_thumb.png

thats a kool les paul, I know everyone raves about figured maple caps but I find the black beauties amazing and being left handed I never have a choice in figured tops only what is available to me in left hand

only what is available to me in left hand

I have a friend who plays left handed, and on top of that he plays in a metal band. I helped him find a lefty 7 string, and it started feeling like a wild goose chase after a while. They do make them though, but I don't know too much about left handed Gibsons.

Cody from Testosteroso

I have a friend who plays left handed, and on top of that he plays in a metal band. I helped him find a lefty 7 string, and it started feeling like a wild goose chase after a while. They do make them though, but I don't know too much about left handed Gibsons.

Cody from Testosteroso

lefty 7 string try out Schecter guitars they are pretty good with left handers, I got a limited edition C1 Classic but thats where I would go for a 7 string lefty, but after playing my les paul Its pretty difficult to go back

It looks like week 28 from the 2007 Guitar of the Week program by Gibson USA. Definitely a cool guitar!

Body

Top Species: Maple

Back Species: Mahogany

Binding: Multi-bound top

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Profile: 60's Slim Taper

Peghead Pitch: 17°

Head Inlay: MOP Holly

Head Binding: Multi-bound

FINGERBOARD : Ebony

Inlays: Trapezoid

Fingerboard Binding: Single Ply

Neck Pickups: P-90 Single Coil

Bridge Pickups: P-90 Single Coil

It looks like week 28 from the 2007 Guitar of the Week program by Gibson USA. Definitely a cool guitar!

Body

Top Species: Maple

Back Species: Mahogany

Binding: Multi-bound top

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Profile: 60's Slim Taper

Peghead Pitch: 17°

Head Inlay: MOP Holly

Head Binding: Multi-bound

FINGERBOARD : Ebony

Inlays: Trapezoid

Fingerboard Binding: Single Ply

Neck Pickups: P-90 Single Coil

Bridge Pickups: P-90 Single Coil

Those are funny looking P90's aren't they? Was there a p/u replacement?

Those are funny looking P90's aren't they? Was there a p/u replacement?

No, mine was stock with a classic '57 in the neck and a classic '57 plus in the bridge. The plus is really hot, almost as high output as the Dirty Fingers I have in my SG.

Yep the binding around the headstock and no Les Paul signature shows its (probably, with no better pictures))a Les Paul Classic Custom. These were made around 2007 or so at the same time as the Les Paul classic Antique- both only short run modals.

Both have classic 57 pups - The Classic custom (as yours does) had classic 57s with Gold polepieces. The guitar was based on the 'Black beauty' Les Paul Custom and as stated has 60s neck, Ebony fret board and the black speed dials knobs for tone and volume

I just traded an 07 LP Classic Custom. Mine had '57 Classic & '57 Classic plus humbuckers in it. I hear that there were some made with the P90's also. It's a cross between a custom and a standard. Does this have a single aged binding? That's one of the other characteristics of those. I loved mine but the gold hardware really bugged me. I couldn't stand to know that as I played and enjoyed it, the gold was wearing off and looking worse and worse. May seem like a small thing, but it was big to me. It actually plays better than the standard I traded for. It was a nice guitar, just couldn't deal with the gold. Enjoy!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same one and was looking for some info about it today as well and I found out that there were made 400 off these and that you could choose whether you'd take P90's or 57 humbuckers

I have it with 57 humbuckers but there is one now on ebay for sale with the P90's and other knobs as well and a plate but probably he added it himself.

I really like the guitar but I had to bring it in beause the G string was pretty unable to tune :P but it's all solved now and it sounds better then ever . I'm really proud of it!

Yeah, those are def beautiful guitars. I've been itching to get one of the p90 versions for a while now. My understanding is that the p90 version was limited to 400 produced. It was the Guitar Of The Week in 2007 (#27). I think the '57 humbucker was seperate from the GOTW program- they just made up a bunch of them. I don't know what kind of production numbers they had- but I don't think it was a lot. They were only made for one year, also in 2007.

BTW- if anybody notices one of the p90 versions for sale give me a heads up. There's one on Evilbay right now but it's in Australia- that **** gets too confusing for me with the taxes and duties and weirdo shipping. If someone gives me a solid heads-up I'll buy you a beer when we play your town.

Yeah!! I love those Gibson Les Paul Classic Customs!!

I wanted one really really bad! But I just didn't have the $$$ when they were available.

Fortunately I found an Epiphone one which is really nice. I doubt I'll ever be able to get a Gibson one.

Here's Paul from Guitar World doing a review:

• 2 months later...

Hello guys.

Im new here and I need some guidance. Can you help me with your oppinions?

Sorry if my English is bad, im from Sweden.

I have a Gibson Les Paul '58 Customshop plaintop with a 60' neck. There were only made 25 of this.

* Carved plain maple top

* Solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back

* Single-ply cream binding on top

* ABR-1 bridge, lightweight aluminum

* 1-piece Mahogany neck with long tenon

* 22-fret rosewood fingerboard

* Holly headstock veneer

* '60s neck profile

* Acrylic trapezoid inlays (accurate shape and color)

* Nickel hardware

* Burstbucker 1® and 2(T) pickups

* Bumblebee caps

* CTS pots

* Vintage tulip tuners

* 24-3/4" scale

* 1-11/16" nut width

* Tobacco Burst

* 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch

* Vintage Reissue 010 strings

* Gibson hardcase included

Now I have the opportunity to trade this with a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Ebony. If I do this, am I doing a downtrade? I know Classic Customshop isn't a Customshop, but does it matter? How would you guys do? Picture below.

Best Regards

Hymzlaei

post-35973-008736000 1316423995_thumb.jpg

Hello guys.

Im new here and I need some guidance. Can you help me with your oppinions?

Sorry if my English is bad, im from Sweden.

I have a Gibson Les Paul '58 Customshop plaintop with a 60' neck. There were only made 25 of this.

* Carved plain maple top

* Solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back

* Single-ply cream binding on top

* ABR-1 bridge, lightweight aluminum

* 1-piece Mahogany neck with long tenon

* 22-fret rosewood fingerboard

* Holly headstock veneer

* '60s neck profile

* Acrylic trapezoid inlays (accurate shape and color)

* Nickel hardware

* Burstbucker 1® and 2(T) pickups

* Bumblebee caps

* CTS pots

* Vintage tulip tuners

* 24-3/4" scale

* 1-11/16" nut width

* Tobacco Burst

* 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch

* Vintage Reissue 010 strings

* Gibson hardcase included

Now I have the opportunity to trade this with a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Ebony. If I do this, am I doing a downtrade? I know Classic Customshop isn't a Customshop, but does it matter? How would you guys do? Picture below.

Best Regards

Hymzlaei

post-35973-008736000 1316423995_thumb.jpg

from your description, you have an R8 so in my oppinion yes you are most definately downtrading

i would keep the R8 and not sell it at all

• 5 months later...

Archived