Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Evol

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea, you are adding knobs now. Do I see a master volume?

Come to the dark side...

On the gain channel.

Or I'd just add a pedal. I'm just saying my ideal versatile amp would have that set up

If someone gave me a 22 watt amp, with a volume and tone knob, I'd be in heaven

You guys are insane.

Me? One volume knob, one channel, one killer sound. I'll add pedals for more color, thank you.

My Mesa has Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Reverb, Master and Contour for each channel.

2 channels, 4 voicings. Not that complicated.

I like the Master Volume because I have yet to try an overdrive pedal that rivals the overdrive on this amp.

My Mesa has Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Reverb, Master and Contour for each channel.

2 channels, 4 voicings. Not that complicated.

I like the Master Volume because I have yet to try an overdrive pedal that rivals the overdrive on this amp.

What kind if music are you playing? That's the big difference probably between you me and Evol

You guys crack me up.

You carrying on about more knobs, less knobs, ect. switches...

What about the tubes? Isn't that what it is all about?

The amp uses el-84's. That has to count for SOMETHING.

More knobs = more knob tone

less knobs = more toob tone

the more knobs and crap you pile on the more solid state wiring is in your amp. I'm not too finnicky about this... I don't really care if I like the way the amp sounds. But all you guys all obsessed with that pure tube tone should probably be opposed to a lot of knobs and master volumes and stuff like that.

The amp in question here has a switch to change the color of the lights... Come on. I'm sure that wiring isn't in the audio path of course but still.

In defense of the Mesa/Boogie Recto amps (and I really despise the pejorative "Rectumfier," not that my distaste for it matters to anyone)...

A Mesa Dual Rec, (or a Mesa Triple Rec--both of them are swell) really does give a certain sound and, unlike a simpler amp with pedals run through it, a certain specific feel which, sometimes, one really wants for either live playing or recording. Having tried out more of the Mesas than I care to admit, having watched hours of demos online, and having spent no small part of my youth listening to bands whose guitarists swore by Mesa Rectos, I've actually had dreams about owning a Dual Rec. There's a certain very special quality that the gain sound has, when it's dialed in right--it's tight, but at the same time it's full. It's got a very clear, compressed tone which I didn't hear when I tried a Box of Metal through a Fender Twin, and it's got a very heavy, substantial feel that I haven't feel from any Marshalls that I've tried. I don't mean to be a sponsor for the company, but seriously, it has its place just as much as the full, crisp clean tone of a Blackface Fender, the creamy mid-gain overdrive of a Marshall head, or the chewy jangle and sparkle of a Vox AC.

I'm in an industrial metal band right now, and I've got to say that I'm really getting to the point where I think I need a Dual Rec, knobs and all. Of course, as a poor college student that'll have to wait, but I look forward to the day when I can pick up the Dual Rec with my name on it.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe a Fender Stage combo with a Boss ML-2 in front would do the trick just as well...it's cheaper, after all, so that's probably what I'm going to end up with fairly soon, when I start gigging.

xDemon I'm totally pickin up what you're layin down and I agree.

It's really not the number of knobs that bothers me about that amp at all. I just don't like that sound.

When I say I'd rather have a simpler amp and pedals, I'm not trying to achieve the Dual Rec sound with that setup in any way. I'm going for something completely different and use different gear accordingly. For the record, even though I admit I'm not a big Mesa fan, if I was putting together a studio and had a lot of money I would definately want a Dual Rec in there. Different gear for different sounds.

I think it would be sweet if you got a Dual Rec xDemon... By the way, want to hear a fresh loop I made the other day?

Yeah man, I feel you. I wasn't even directing that at you, really...I guess I was just riffing on the idea that different tones call for different gear, and I find it hard to put any sound down just because it's not what I need at that time. If I'm not mistaken you run through a Vox AC30, and the AC30 is an excellent amp with a great sound, and frankly I'd love to have one of those, too, for what it does--but I wouldn't try to emulate a Dual Rec with it, and I'm not sure I'd be doing it right if I was to try and emulate an AC30 with a Dual Rec.

It's cool that you don't dig the sound of the Dual Rec. I've just seen some prejudice directed towards Dual Recs, and sometimes I'm not sure whether or not it's because of the sound or because of some sort of cosmic notion of superiority that comes with minimal control schemes. As I said, they all have their places. Right now I'm building up a cheaper rig (I mentioned a Fender Frontman amp, because it's got a pretty good, neutral clean tone for a SS amp, and I'd imagine it could be a decent base for high-gain stuff) because there's no guarantee that I'll be sticking with my industrial band, but if I had a more established style and a greater presence within the extreme metal genre, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd look at Mesa first if I had the money for that much amp. Because I don't really have much in the way of discretionary funds, I'll probably be using a lot of cheaper pedals at first, but I need to put something together before next semester starts, because we're probably going to be trying to schedule gigs as soon as we can...so cheap gear it is, for now.

Aww hell, I don't even know what point I was trying to make.

As for the new loop? Send it over. I'd love to hear it. [thumbup]

Dudes..I am totally on board with the dual rectifier (rectumfier). To me, one of the best amps of all time.

I liked it best either dirty, with the tube rectifiers, spongy switch set to sponge, on the orange channel. Sweet smoothness and grind. Clean with the red channel, ss rectifier and the bold setting. FAT sparkly sweet clean.

I mean, gotta admit, without all those switches and options those tones didn't happen.

I totally get that switches and knobs mostly only serve to make things suck. Most amps I have played or tried only had one good sound to them anyway, and all the versatility was useless.

I didn't think the carvin here sounded bad at all. I thought it had a good sound, to spite what the guy was using it for. Besides that, who knows what it can and should sound like because there is still a ton more switches and knobs to hit on that thing.

But, we can still talk about toobs if you want.

In defense of the Mesa/Boogie Recto amps (and I really despise the pejorative "Rectumfier," not that my distaste for it matters to anyone)...

A Mesa Dual Rec, (or a Mesa Triple Rec--both of them are swell) really does give a certain sound and, unlike a simpler amp with pedals run through it, a certain specific feel which, sometimes, one really wants for either live playing or recording. Having tried out more of the Mesas than I care to admit, having watched hours of demos online, and having spent no small part of my youth listening to bands whose guitarists swore by Mesa Rectos, I've actually had dreams about owning a Dual Rec. There's a certain very special quality that the gain sound has, when it's dialed in right--it's tight, but at the same time it's full. It's got a very clear, compressed tone which I didn't hear when I tried a Box of Metal through a Fender Twin, and it's got a very heavy, substantial feel that I haven't feel from any Marshalls that I've tried. I don't mean to be a sponsor for the company, but seriously, it has its place just as much as the full, crisp clean tone of a Blackface Fender, the creamy mid-gain overdrive of a Marshall head, or the chewy jangle and sparkle of a Vox AC.

I'm in an industrial metal band right now, and I've got to say that I'm really getting to the point where I think I need a Dual Rec, knobs and all. Of course, as a poor college student that'll have to wait, but I look forward to the day when I can pick up the Dual Rec with my name on it.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe a Fender Stage combo with a Boss ML-2 in front would do the trick just as well...it's cheaper, after all, so that's probably what I'm going to end up with fairly soon, when I start gigging.

All of my derogatory statements against amps like the Dual Rec or other knob abominations are purely on personal preference. When I go into a store and I play my original songs or riffs in trying out a guitar or whatever, I am most happy in the Fender or VOX section. Why? Because I can get on a Blues Jr, crank the volume, put on the FAT switch, and put the master volume about on 2. It isn't too loud, but its fairly close to the sound when I push my clean channel hard with my LP. Or, I use a VOX Night Train and mess with the settings on there. Whenever I have to go to the Mesa section, all I do is some palm muted drop tuned chugga chugga skree skree riffs because my stuff doesn't sound as good as it does on a Fender or a VOX

"Well Fred, we caught you here. You use the Fender amp with the master volume..." Difference is store and stage. Just to clarify

On occasion, I frequent Chicago Music Exchange, awesome store, tons of high end and vintage gear, and I have played on ridiculously priced amps. I am still happiest with the Fender type circuit. I like the gritty cleans, that can be cleaned up with the volume knob, then I use pedals to color the sound. It's like paint, just because you bought the 8 color set doesn't mean you can't get separate colors and use those too.

I'm not saying that Mesas are bad amps. For me, they don't sound good. When I do the chugga chugga skree skree stuff, it sounds better than I can with a Fender circuit. however, at a show I went to last week, I heard some of the heaviest tones I have ever heard out of a telecaster into a handwired VOXAC15 with some pedals in between. Blew my mind

Also, check out Craigslist. I frequently see Dual Recs, with a 4x12 for around a grand on the one by me

What kind if music are you playing? That's the big difference probably between you me and Evol

This Mesa does everything but high gain, I play anything from Blues to Hard Rock to ocassionally Metal (I use a Metal Zone for this).

Here is the thing, since I bought this amp I don't GAS for amps anymore, this is the amp for me for a long while and maybe a lifetime. Evol sounds like he's found his sound too. You are still trying amps so it sounds like you are still searching.

I am just trying to make the point that when you see a bunch of knobs on an amp it does not mean an amp is over the top. That's all, I mean look at all those Marshall heads that have been used to create like 75% of what we call Classic Rock now.

I have 2 1-knob amps in addition to my Mesa, rarely play them but I too understand the concept of simplicity.

I rather take a amp with a bunch of knobs then a bunch of pedals.

From what Ive seen, one great amp sounds better than a a "OK" amp and a bunch of pedals.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with you, for me it took buying this Mesa to understand that.

It is a great thing to have an amp that has a great overdrive, which I use a lot.

I do use pedals but only when is stuff the amp does not do like Fuzz and High Gain. I also love the effects loop on this amp since it has a dedicated tube for it. Delay, Tremolo and Modulation sound superb. Good stuff.

The amp is all I need though, great sound and great reverb.

This Mesa does everything but high gain, I play anything from Blues to Hard Rock to ocassionally Metal (I use a Metal Zone for this).

Here is the thing, since I bought this amp I don't GAS for amps anymore, this is the amp for me for a long while and maybe a lifetime. Evol sounds like he's found his sound too. You are still trying amps so it sounds like you are still searching.

I am just trying to make the point that when you see a bunch of knobs on an amp it does not mean an amp is over the top. That's all, I mean look at all those Marshall heads that have been used to create like 75% of what we call Classic Rock now.

I have 2 1-knob amps in addition to my Mesa, rarely play them but I too understand the concept of simplicity.

I agree with you, for me it took buying this Mesa to understand that.

It is a great thing to have an amp that has a great overdrive, which I use a lot.

I do use pedals but only when is stuff the amp does not do like Fuzz and High Gain. I also love the effects loop on this amp since it has a dedicated tube for it. Delay, Tremolo and Modulation sound superb. Good stuff.

The amp is all I need though, great sound and great reverb.

Yeah, just friendly conversation. I have pretty much found mine, I mean I have a few more I'm thinking of getting, but the Sunn is my base sound. The clean channel sounds great clean and is a very versatile pallet for my fuzz pedals, the gain channel works great for rhythm playing. I'm not saying that amps with oodles of knobs are bad, but for my style, doesn't fit. I have tried doing my stuff on a Mesa and it doesn't sound good at all.

I don't think I will ever be able to overcome my constant GAS until I just buy a ton of other stuff and realize I don't like it as much as my stuff as it is

Guilty.

Hope I haven't offended anyone too badly. Just running my mouth, online, on a musical instrument message board.

LOL! I'm the one that called you nerds! Hope I didn't offend...lol. You're part Canadian so we're good. :)

Archived