Gibson Brands Forums

Tool: 10,000 Days

mcmurray

Go on, give it another listen :)

I did for the first time in about 4 and half years and I finally "get" it. The album is phenomenal. Listen to it with a good set of headphones [woot]

Now I'm kicking myself for not going to see them live when they were here a few months back.

Go on, give it another listen :)

I did for the first time in about 4 and half years and I finally "get" it. The album is phenomenal. Listen to it with a good set of headphones [woot]

Now I'm kicking myself for not going to see them live when they were here a few months back.

I saw the tour stop in Portland...........Security was worse than TSA, and they didn't play SOBER.........WTF....

Thanks, I think I will!

I'm a huge Tool....fan.

There's a lot of great, older stuff they don't play anymore. Some of which I'm sure is because of time contraints (I mean, you can't play EVERYTHING you've ever written, every show), but also, I think the older stuff had an angrier/darker edge to it, and it's just not as relevant to them anymore.

[lol] .........Yeah, but, it's the first Tool song I heard...........Love em guys....[thumbup] ..

It's definitely very raw, and rough around the edges. I mean, listen to Opiate. Every song is like that. You can tell though, that somewhere during the writing of Undertow, they really evolved or fine-tuned their sound. Perhaps it was working with pro producers who helped them? I don't know, but you move on from Undertow to Aenima, and again, huge world of difference.

Sober was kind of like the Smells Like Teen Spirit of Tool. Hair Metal was dying out, Seattle grunge was enormous, and here comes Sober, which sounded nothing like what anyone was hearing on mainstream radio at that time.

And don't forget the oh-so badass music video that accompanied it.

It's definitely very raw, and rough around the edges. I mean, listen to Opiate. Every song is like that. You can tell though, that somewhere during the writing of Undertow, they really evolved or fine-tuned their sound. Perhaps it was working with pro producers who helped them? I don't know, but you move on from Undertow to Aenima, and again, huge world of difference.

Sober was kind of like the Smells Like Teen Spirit of Tool. Hair Metal was dying out, Seattle grunge was enormous, and here comes Sober, which sounded nothing like what anyone was hearing on mainstream radio at that time.

And don't forget the oh-so badass music video that accompanied it.

So eloquently stated.....yes, and correct...........Sober; took me a year until I finally said to myself, WTF, who are these guys ??

I learned; Real, and awesome........And yes, production values helped them sound how they should....And they sound great live.....

Great post EvanPC.........

My first intro to Tool was at Lollapalooza back when Undertow was JUST coming out...no one knew who they were, including me. I had heard of them but didn't really know their stuff but they were on the 2nd stage so i decided to check them out. I went and watched this awesome band kick a lotta *** and then at the end of their set, the singer was like "Thanks everyone, Tool's up next!!" I was really confused...cuz i thought that WAS Tool. Well....it was...i just didn't know Maynard's sense of humour back then. :)

I'm a huge fan of all of their albums except 10,000 Days. I just never got into it and i've given it multiple tries. It always sounded like reject songs from Lateralus to me. Now, a LOT of people disagree with me on this one and I am ok with that. Are they working on another one or is Maynard too busy with his winery?

Second song I learned was Schism, I like some tool and some is just crap. I think The Pot was my fave song from 10,000 days. And if you are listening to music headphones are always the best you get the full effect of all the panning tricks and stuff they will use in editing to give the music its feel.

If I were to buy a Tool album (the stuff on the rasdio is killer) what would be the one? Prefer more changes than the heaviest.

It's a toss up between Lateralus and Aenima.

That said I'd choose Lateralus.

If I were to buy a Tool album (the stuff on the rasdio is killer) what would be the one? Prefer more changes than the heaviest.

I'd take Aenima, personally. Front to back, it's an epic album. I think, it's the one all others (of their own) have been measured against.

Although, I will say, that I think the best song they've ever written is the title track to Lateralus.

I did catch the Lateralus tour. A few times I think. Amazing visual show.

Great album, Right in Two and the Wings of Marie parts 1 and 2 are the best song on the album IMO. Have you heard the hidden song? Youtube it, I'm not sure if it's the real deal, but it's impressive. I'm listening to the rearranged Lateralus right now. If you've never rearranged that album do it NOW! It was released with the songs in the wrong order, and you have to use the Fibonacci Spiral to rearrange it. Here's the actual order 6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 13, 1, 12, 2, 11, 3, 10. Prepare to have your mind blown, put back together for optimal efficiency and then blown again.

Archived