Gibson Brands Forums

Oh yes, I did it

drumrnmuzik

First off, thanks to this site and comments and posts, I went out and spent my hard earned cash on what I hope will be a new best friend for many years.

Im the proud owner of a brand new J45 Natural. ( J50 ?) I'm extremly happy with quality out of the box, the set-up is dead on and the construction is impeccable.

I was very impressed with the overall richness of the sound. There in no tone that over powers any of the others, it's very well balanced.

Since I've got these baby soft fingers from playing an electric axe up to now, I've got D'Addario super light, super bright strings on it now, they're not to loud or too tinny because of the super lightness. (ok, I admit it, they are 0.9's)

I want to find some silk strings and try them out, I mostly finger pick and do some rhythm.

Thanks again to all for your direct and indirect help on this decision.

PS, I think that my Les Paul is a bit jealous...

Congrats, a good J-45 is hard to beat!

I use 12s on mine but if you're used to electric strings I'd Try 11s on your new baby first, you'll notice a big difference in volume & yet still easy on the fingers.

I like 10's on my Les Paul because I like a tone and a half bend. That's why I went for 10's on the J45, but the small fretts didn't agree with my fingers.

I had an Epi Dot for a while and used 12's for arpeggios, a very nice sound indeed.

I'll do some 1/2 tone bends with open chords on the acoustic

I guess that I have to get used to it and work my way up. I like the richness of the larger strings.

Congrats on the new Gibson! I'm about $500 away from a new Hummingbird and can't wait!

As for the 10's - my brother uses Ernie Ball 10's on his Epi masterbilt cutaway acoustic and they sound great. He plays a lot of leads with bends etc. so he likes them lighter. I've been trying to convince him to go up to 11's and he says he may when he next changes, but the 10's sound really nice on the leads and pretty good still on the cowboy chords too IMHO.

Congrats on the new Gibson! I'm about $500 away from a new Hummingbird and can't wait!

Thats cool that you're saving for a Hummingbird. I tired one and have to admit that the sound is really fantastic. I thought about it but it costs about 500 bucks more here.

This J45 is going to be what they call it, a work horse. Toss her in a bag and go.

My Suzuki has rose wood back and sides, a spruce top and an ebony frett board. A very different sound then my J45. I try to explain that to my wife and, well, you know how that goes !

Great to hear the new acquisition does its job so well. Bet the antique natural finish is great. I think you chose an instrument with a nicer pickguard than the current J50. BTW, my wife can hear the difference between my old Lyon/Washburn dread and my new SJ, but I worked out tonight that she can't hear 1400 quid's worth of difference. Oh well. I can. Or I can at least insofar as I have yet to hear another brand that comes close to the Gibson slope-shoulder sound. But then I can also see the difference between a Gibson sunburst nitro finish and a Lyon satin natural one. My daughter can't, it would seem.

Im the proud owner of a brand new J45 Natural. ( J50 ?)

hi! congrats!!! just curious---is the model number listed on the sticker inside the body of the guitar designating it as a J-50? just asking, because i'd heard that make was discontinued. again--awesome news on your new baby!!

Archived