Gibson Brands Forums

AJ

brannon67

I have an AJ with an adirondack top and Madagascar rosewood back and sides. It is a VERY loud guitar with a clear, focused bass and ringing trebles. I also have a J-45TV and a couple of Martin rosewood dreadnoughts. I find the AJ to be somewhere inbetween the J-45 and the Martin as far as tone. It is not as crisp and punchy as the 45, and not as bass heavy as the Martins. In other words, it's a great "compromise" between the Gibson and Martin sounds. It's a wonderful instrument and you will not be disappointed.

Lars

I have an AJ, and have played many others in stores. I have played enough of them to know that like many Gibson acoustic models, there is a fair amount of variation in tone from one to the next. I say this just to set the basis that while one AJ may not do it for you, another may really float your boat. It was similar when I bought mine. Guitar Center had a blow out price on them and I had been wanting one for a long time. The store had 3 in stock, so I played each one and picked the one I liked best. It ultimately came down to a choice between two of them. The first sounded better for fingerpicking, but sounded kind of thin while strumming. The second sounded great while stumming - big and bold - but had too much sustain/reverberations for clearity in blues fingerpicking. I chose the second one, figuring I would buy another guitar later that I would use for fingerpicking.

After having it for two years, I love my AJ!!! With a flatpick, the sound is absolutely huge! It is loud and bold and in your face. Some have called it brash, but I like it. The bass is big. The trebles are thick, not thin and plinky like you get on some acoustics. It really is a great guitar, even if I still don't use it for fingerstyle. Plus, I love the overall aesthetic, with the deep sunburst, the firestripe pickguard and the diamond/arrowhead inlays. Beautiful guitar!

Oh, and I have found that different brands of strings make it better for fingerpicking also, though I am still planning on buying a mahogony bodied guitar for that.

The AJ I used to own was loud, chimey, and I always felt like the one guitar that deserved to be played in a large quiet auditorium. J-45s in my opinion can sound a bit more jangly and that can be just right for certain kinds of music.

The AJ does some things well: loud, punchy bass, crisp top makes a great bluegrass guitar. Irish session guitar. Neo folkie/singer-sw? Ok, but not as ringing as a J45 or as much surround sound as a D28. Rock? again, players are often looking for a more wide-open sound. Blues? Ok, but a little heavy on the low end and sustain, at least for my tastes. What do you like? What's your gig? Rambler

Thanks for the replies and info guys, but I decided on the J45 after playing both lastnight. I like the AJ, but the J45 just spoke to me, plus, I love the Grover tuners on the J45 also, which helped in my decision. I like the vintage style tuners, but we all know the Grovers will keep it in tune better. Now I need some on my Epi John Lennon model. I guess $50 bucks is worth the upgrade, Yes.

Thanks for the replies and info guys, but I decided on the J45 after playing both lastnight. I like the AJ, but the J45 just spoke to me, plus, I love the Grover tuners on the J45 also, which helped in my decision. I like the vintage style tuners, but we all know the Grovers will keep it in tune better. Now I need some on my Epi John Lennon model. I guess $50 bucks is worth the upgrade, Yes.

Nothing like playin' 'em. Glad you sussed it out to your liking. The AJ is a good design but not for everybody. Those J45s, tho, they'll take on most anything. Cheers.

Archived