Gibson Brands Forums

My ac30 is a zombie

Dub-T-123

xDemon - That is rich. lol

Giantroboto - Been blowin it up all day man.

Fred - Don't be hatin.

It was the first time I've tried some of my pedals through it and I'm pretty stoked with the results. The El Capistan in particular is totally awesome through it. I been loopin all day

Yes. It's back from the dead. And it is hungry.

Wahhhhhhwbajmdnsnajxmd

My AC30 dies with so much frequency that it's ridiculous. I want to get rid of it, but then it zombies back and it sounds so good! It's like those sour patch kids commercials. It'll make you soooooo mad, and then suck you right back in with it's "chimey" tone.

The last time it died i went and bought a second one for back up. I figure i'll just rotate the 2 in and out of the shop.

i've never owned a less reliable amp. I wonder if Vox has fixed their reliability in the newer C2/C2X models (mine is a CCH from '05)

My AC30 dies with so much frequency that it's ridiculous. I want to get rid of it, but then it zombies back and it sounds so good! It's like those sour patch kids commercials. It'll make you soooooo mad, and then suck you right back in with it's "chimey" tone.

The last time it died i went and bought a second one for back up. I figure i'll just rotate the 2 in and out of the shop.

i've never owned a less reliable amp. I wonder if Vox has fixed their reliability in the newer C2/C2X models (mine is a CCH from '05)

what keeps going out on it the 5AR4/ GZ34? Those seem to be the weak link on the "Custom Classic" models and that's what went out on mine. It worked for years in my amp though so I'm not too worried about it.

What bothers me is how ridiculously inconvinient it is to change tubes. It takes about an hour to change a tube.

Btw I wish it wasn't so much work to do the "bright cap mod" because I'm starting to realize that this amp is way too bright.

I have the tone cut dimed and the treble at 9 o clock and it just sounds normal. If you roll back the tone cut at all it's brighter than the sun and it is painful to listen to.

It sounds fine the way I have it, but I wish I didn't HAVE to set the knobs like that.

Btw I wish it wasn't so much work to do the "bright cap mod" because I'm starting to realize that this amp is way too bright.

I have the tone cut dimed and the treble at 9 o clock and it just sounds normal. If you roll back the tone cut at all it's brighter than the sun and it is painful to listen to.

It sounds fine the way I have it, but I didn't HAVE to set the knobs like that.

Lol yup the rectifier tube was the first that went. It started the chain reaction of things that started to fail. Yeah I know exactly what you mean about the brightness. Single coils seem especially bright. A really nice combo is to use a mini HB in the neck position with the AC. Whether clean, slightly overdriven, or into what little crunch the AC offers, the mini HB in the neck position really shines. It's one of the reasons I can never seems to pull the trigger on getting rid of the AC or my firebird. I wanna do this to one of my teles:

http://www.guitarpartdeals.com/?p=521093

I feel it could be a really cool tone with the AC. Anyone got a tele with a mini HB in the neck? I'm gonna add it to the list of projects.

It sounds fine the way I have it, but I wish I didn't HAVE to set the knobs like that.

That's the reason why I'm not sure I can ever get a Vox, especially the AC30, its so damn bright.

But I'm considering trading my Dream Crusher because its pretty dark sounding...

It's really not too bright at all and sounds really sweet the way I have it set but I just wish the treble control was a little more tame so I could actually use it a bit more.

It's got that sweet ac30 thing goin for sure though. It sounds totally awesome.

Surprised to hear that about the DC. If you think that's dark, you probably won't get along with the Hoof very well unless you have a bright amp.

Pick6 I've played a Tele with a Semour Duncan mini humbucker in the neck and I loved it. It's a nice combo.

It's really not too bright at all and sounds really sweet the way I have it set but I just wish the treble control was a little more tame so I could actually use it a bit more.

It's got that sweet ac30 thing goin for sure though. It sounds totally awesome.

Surprised to hear that about the DC. If you think that's dark, you probably won't get along with the Hoof very well unless you have a bright amp.

Pick6 I've played a Tele with a Semour Duncan mini humbucker in the neck and I loved it. It's a nice combo.

I'll record you some clips of the DC, it sounds pretty dark, at least at the setting I have it at right now. I haven't had much time to play around with it though, so you never know

Archived