Gibson Brands Forums

Rotate the Bridge P/U?

29Tudor

I'm wondering if rotating the bridge P/U (Humbucker), so that the poles face

away from the bridge, would change the tone. I would like some input before

I make the change.

The guitar is a 93 Korean LP Custom. I play Blues and like a muddy, dark tone.

I know the closer to the bridge you play, the "twangier" the sound. Am I crazy?

Thanks

I make the change.

The guitar is a 93 Korean LP Custom. I play Blues and like a muddy, dark tone.

I know the closer to the bridge you play, the "twangier" the sound. Am I crazy?

Thanks

Gary Moore did it to his "Peter Green" Les Paul

DO IT!!!

If you don't like it, its only a minute to change it back...

This gets asked every couple months... If I remember correctly, its been said that it won't change it enough that you'll really notice/hear, but theres always a couple people that say it changes it a bit...I tried it quite awhile ago and if I remember correctly, couldn't hear a difference...I wouldn't bother if I was you...

I make the change.

Welcome to the forums, it's a fantastic place to hang out, many characters willing to impart their knowledge.

There are several things you can do to change to tone of a muddy pup, see this post:

http://forum.gibson....post__p__917147

Interesting. That is the sound I want and I am thinking of doing this mod. In fact I just watched that same video a few hours ago as well as some other videos about the Peter Green mod. From my understanding, it has nothing to do with which way the pickup is facing, it's turning the magnet around to make it reverse polarity. It would be great if you could post more about it AF.

I went one step further and reversed them both on this old 70's Antoria 175. If there was any difference I couldn't hear it. I've never bothered turning them back.

ES175_small.jpg

DOOODE! Lawsuit sickness! That's a sweety! It's even got the thumbcutters! I really like yer guitar. Can I take her out on a date? I promise I'll be good?

Just did the "Peter Green" Mod

sdc11238lc.jpg

I was quite surprised it gave a brighter output which I kind of liked it.

Im not sure if its different for Epi Pickups tho (Used my "Gary Moore" Gibson upgraded Epi Custom)

Just turning the pickup around isn't the mod though. Did you take the pickup cover off and take out the magnet and flip it around?

Flipping the pickup so the screw poles are on the other side has virtually no effect on the tone. The point of the mod is to put the pickup out of phase, but you do it magnetically instead of electronically by flipping the magnet around 180 degrees. (I think). I'm just wondering if it's a big pain to do and if I would need to re pot the pickup in wax after I did it or something annoying like that.

Fare enough I'll change the posts

But it did answer the question of the original question...

I wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out the discrepancy in your understanding of the PG mod.

Flipping the pickup so the screw poles are on the other side has virtually no effect on the tone. The point of the mod is to put the pickup out of phase, but you do it magnetically instead of electronically by flipping the magnet around 180 degrees. (I think). I'm just wondering if it's a big pain to do and if I would need to re pot the pickup in wax after I did it or something annoying like that.

Looking at the Link, you have to MELT the wax to get the magnet out so its definately gonna be messy...

Some instructions I've seen say to use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the wax and get the cover off, if you put too much heat into it then it's going to melt the wax too much, melting it from the bobbins and coils also, in that case it would probably benefit from re-potting. When removing covers though I don't apply heat for this reason, I jiggle the cover about enough that you can slide it off and still keep the wax in place, then re-potting won't be necessary.

I did the 180 degree swap when I put pickups in my JT-200. Putting them out of phase magnetically

WILL make for a "thinner" sound! I'd stay away from flipping the magnet and disassembling

the pickup. It's WAY too easy to knick one of those tiny wires on the bobbins, in which case you have parts

and will be replacing the pickup.

JMO!

Good luck on whichever mod you do!

I did the 180 degree swap when I put pickups in my JT-200. Putting them out of phase magnetically

WILL make for a "thinner" sound! I'd stay away from flipping the magnet and disassembling

the pickup. It's WAY too easy to knick one of those tiny wires on the bobbins, in which case you have parts

and will be replacing the pickup.

JMO!

Good luck on whichever mod you do!

I also indirectly linked your thread on Taming Muddy Pickup at #4 GH, that was a great thread.

I also indirectly linked your thread on Taming Muddy Pickup at #4 GH, that was a great thread.

Cool! And thanks Rastus! I'm glad that the info might help someone else and save the trouble of searching for answers!

Gotta love it here on Epi Forum, everyone is really great about sharing knowledge and experience!

Cool! And thanks Rastus! I'm glad that the info might help someone else and save the trouble of searching for answers!

I posted that info on another "un-named" forum and someone was like "that's just a low freq filter........".

I said YEP! And it works! And cheaper than new pickups!

Gotta love it here on Epi Forum, everyone is really great about sharing knowledge and experience!

Oops! Slight of hand! LOL

Archived