Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a '64 J-50 in LA yesterday!!!!

Spot

The bad rap on those bridges is largely due to the design in which the saddle rests on that steel strip which wraps around the metal posts at each end meaning that most of the vibration from the top is transferred through the strip and the posts. The ADJ bridges sure as heck added alot of mass to the guitar - they weigh about three times as much as a standard rosewood bridge.

Problem is you will never know what difference (if any) swapping out the bridge would make until you do it.

The bad rap on those bridges is largely due to the design in which the saddle rests on that steel strip which wraps around the metal posts at each end meaning that most of the vibration from the top is transferred through the strip and the posts. The ADJ bridges sure as heck added alot of mass to the guitar - they weigh about three times as much as a standard rosewood bridge.

Problem is you will never know what difference (if any) swapping out the bridge would make until you do it.

Zombywoof, I was thinking exactly as you are. Problem is, the potential of improving the guitar's yone is sucking me in!!! Furthermore as per Graham Parker's website on this modification, its reversible so the onlt think I'm potentially loosing is a couple of hundred bucks...

A GPL Saddle Insert replaces the existing adjustable bridge saddle found on vintage Gibson and Epiphone guitars. It’s a non-invasive modification and can be removed if necessary. It’s an idea that I’ve used on several vintage guitars in the past which has enhanced the volume and tone and brought out the true voice of the guitar.

Zombywoof, I was thinking exactly as you are. Problem is, the potential of improving the guitar's yone is sucking me in!!! Furthermore as per Graham Parker's website on this modification, its reversible so the onlt think I'm potentially loosing is a couple of hundred bucks...

I think the Graham Parker insert idea is the best way to go if you going to do it, and that`s what I would do if I ever wanted to try it on my Texan. I must say though, I actually really like the tone as is.

Steve.

P.S. Does this mean you will be making your "Non Macca" available again?

Congrats

For whatever reason the '64s had the best neck of any 1960s Gibson. Just a tad beefier feel to them than other years. And they still had the 17 degree headstock pitch.

photo-41.jpg

Pure pleasure.....

[biggrin]

Nice one, she looks to be in great nick, is it much different in tone to your CW ?

Yes,...Not as loud as my CW. This is most probably down to the Adj Bridge and its weight. Also she's less "dry" or "bright" sounding as my Square shoulder CW.

When I get my Sh** together I'm going to get a digital recorder and do a simple comparison track and get it up on SoundCloud. I'm also interested in comparing the Non-Macca Texan adjustable with the j-50 as well....

[rolleyes]

The reversible insert seems like a sure fire way to go, and I'd probably be in the same boat in terms of "needing to know" the potential outcome. That said, my own first hand experience was with a '65 B25-N with the horrific plastic bridge & ten tons of metal components. Changed it out for a beautiful ebony replacement & bone saddle. Result: virtually no change!

The reversible insert seems like a sure fire way to go, and I'd probably be in the same boat in terms of "needing to know" the potential outcome. That said, my own first hand experience was with a '65 B25-N with the horrific plastic bridge & ten tons of metal components. Changed it out for a beautiful ebony replacement & bone saddle. Result: virtually no change!

Huh,... very interesting Bobouz, thanks for the input and your experiences with your B25 mod.

[thumbup]

Only thing is that you will now be hung out to dry by the anti-adjustable bridge crew on the forum!!! How dare you make such a statement????

Heheeeeeeeeee, only joking of course

That said, my own first hand experience was with a '65 B25-N with the horrific plastic bridge & ten tons of metal components. Changed it out for a beautiful ebony replacement & bone saddle. Result: virtually no change!

In all seriousness Bobouz, you've just given me a great idea for a project to answer this age old question on "the benefits of getting rid of the adjustable" once and for all. I should record the guitar in its current state (w/ Adj bridge), get the mod done with Graham Parker and then record the same song with the new bridge. Then we could have a poll and see who thinks they can spot which bridge is which.

I bet you most peeps on would be surprised and that most on the forum would get it wrong (...incl. me)!!!!

Whatcha think?

[scared]

For us Americans, 43 mm = 1 11/16", which is great, my friend has the '63 which is 1 5/8" and I can't play it at all....I've talked to a few folks about this....and the saddle replacement, although not historically correct, and done well, does not really affect the re-sale value of this guitar......go figure.....if you like the tone, leave it, if not, improve it. From everything I read, there IS an improvement in sound quality.......if it were me, I don't know what I'd do.....it is in great shape, I'd probably leave it......

For us Americans, 43 mm = 1 11/16", which is great, my friend has the '63 which is 1 5/8" and I can't play it at all....I've talked to a few folks about this....and the saddle replacement, although not historically correct, and done well, does not really affect the re-sale value of this guitar......go figure.....if you like the tone, leave it, if not, improve it. From everything I read, there IS an improvement in sound quality.......if it were me, I don't know what I'd do.....it is in great shape, I'd probably leave it......

Thanks for your input Wily, which I always value!

[thumbup]

Huh,... very interesting Bobouz, thanks for the input and your experiences with your B25 mod.

[thumbup]

Only thing is that you will now be hung out to dry by the anti-adjustable bridge crew on the forum!!! How dare you make such a statement????

Heheeeeeeeeee, only joking of course

Well, the results with the B25 certainly surprised me (of course I was expecting a significant change). Luckily, the guitar sounded good both before & after the new bridge, and I happily played it for over 20 years. Which I guess leads me to basically agree with Wiley: If the tone is blowing you away right now, don't change it because you might actually lose some of the qualities that are appealing to you. If you think the guitar is lacking in some tonal respect, then I'd say go for it.

..It's not stealing it's called playing the system Ponty!!!!

[flapper]

No it ain't mate

Its just stealing

Or does tax evaision count as "playing the system"

As you would say in "londres"........ Chacun a son gout!

No it ain't mate

Its just stealing

Or does tax evaision count as "playing the system"

Me and my son have imported several guitars and not had to steal yet

As you would say in "londres"........ Chacun a son gout!

Thanks for the lecture "mate"...

What ever works for you

[scared]

Ohhhh,..that was nice of you JohnT "voting me down" on my last post!!! You are the one throwing out accusations....

What's your problem "mate"? Have a bad day or something? Feel the need to get on your Moral Soap box and lecture us on the rights & wrongs of the world? You don't know me or my personal situation. That I'm an Ex-pat American working in Europe on a contract...

Whatever....

Can we please get back on the topic at hand? I think that would be Gibson guitars....

Ohhhh,..that was nice of you JohnT "voting me down" on my last post!!! You are the one throwing out accusations....

What's your problem "mate"? Have a bad day or something? Feel the need to get on your Moral Soap box and lecture us on the rights & wrongs of the world? You don't know me or my personal situation. That I'm an Ex-pat American working in Europe on a contract...

Whatever....

Can we please get back on the topic at hand? I think that would be Gibson guitars....

You are of course right we are not mates and by the sound of it never would be.

I was having a bad day as I often do

I apologise.......... its clearly all my fault.

I did not need to "throw out accusations".

If you read your own words I think that perhaps you sounded rather pleased with yourself for hatching a tax avoidance scheme ( sending receipts under seperate cover etc)

Why would I need to accuse you of something you seem proud of?

If you say that its ok for an Ex-pat American working in Europe on a contract" to avoid UK tax then I am sure it is.

I guess thats something equating to Diplomatic Immunity????

End of my input

And with this being being the "last straw" lets say that its also the end of my participation in what this forum has obviously become.

If you say that its ok for an Ex-pat American working in Europe on a contract" to avoid UK tax then I am sure it is.

...I guess the right thing to do then would have been to pay the UK import and then also pay US import duty when I return then? With the 8.25% Cali State Tax I paid that should bring the grand total in a around 50% Sales and import tax!!!!

[confused]

Archived