Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165 What strings do you like the best .......

OPATRIOT

If you like Elixirs, the 80/20 Nano's are always a nice choice, but I have found that on all three of my guitars the Elixir Light gauge (12-54's) Phospher Bronze actually sound better. It is all I am using from now on. I used to always keep 80/20's on my Gibson AJ thinking they would keep a brighter trebil sound, but accidently strung it up with PB's over the weekend, (I had sets of both around and grabbed the wrong one. By the time I figured it out I had 4 of 6 strings on and said the heck with it and finished.) WOW, was I surprised how nice, full and rounded the guitar is sounding now. I loved the tone with 80/20's (especially after putting in my bone end pins) but the PB's sound even better to my ears.

If you like Elixirs' date=' the 80/20 Nano's are always a nice choice, but I have found that on all three of my guitars the Elixir Light gauge (12-54's) Phospher Bronze actually sound better. It is all I am using from now on. I used to always keep 80/20's on my Gibson AJ thinking they would keep a brighter trebil sound, but accidently strung it up with PB's over the weekend, (I had sets of both around and grabbed the wrong one. By the time I figured it out I had 4 of 6 strings on and said the heck with it and finished.) WOW, was I surprised how nice, full and rounded the guitar is sounding now. I loved the tone with 80/20's (especially after putting in my bone end pins) but the PB's sound even better to my ears. [/quote']

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give the Elixir Phospher Bronze a try at some point. I admit to not ever trying Elixir PBs. As of today, all my acoustics have 80/20 lights, either Elixir's or D'Addario's so I guess it's about time to compare and contrast again...

Pic

Gday Friends ......Thanx for the welcome !! I love the tone of this guitar , just sings to me ..... The action was a little high so i replaced the saddle with a collosi ivory saddle and lowered it a bit ... still a little high at the nut but that will have to wait for some nut files ....... i went ahead and put on some EJ11 light's ...... beutifull !! but i will have fun trying the elixers and some others in my journey ... Thanx for all the input ............. Davey

I have been using Martin SP Marquis 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. Two things I like about this particular string set is they have a bronze coating on the unwound E and B string so they look cool (all the strings are bronze color and don't turn my fingers black when they get older) and they have a nice silk wrapping on the ball end.

I have been using lights on my CJ-165 and think they sound great.

P.S. Davey .....Where in No Cal are you. I am near Sacramento.

Ditto on the Elixirs, I use them now on everything. IMHO, best strings on the market. Very bright and they feel new for weeks. I'm proud to say that I originally heard about them while talking shop with Mr Ray Wylie Hubbard at Gruehne Hall in Texas a couple of years ago. We opened for him and I was amazed at the sound of his guitars - so clean and bright. After that show I made a beeline to ye olde laptop and ordered a few sets from Musicians Friend and haven't used anything else since. Can't wait to get the Colosi bone pins for my Modern Classic and hear the difference.

This may sound dumb but what is the difference between 80/20's and regular light or mediums?

Michael....the 80/20 designation is the metal make up of the string coating/winding. An 80/20 bronze string is made of an alloy comprised of 80% copper and 20% tin or 20% zinc. Phosphor bronze (P/:D is another type of metal mix used in acoustic guitar strings.

Then you have gauge or thickness/diameter of the string which are usually called light or medium or extra light.

I think that clears up your question. There are many different variations put out by manufacturers and everybody will have an opinion as to what is best and how the different variations sound to them.

Try a bunch....find what you like.

Johnny Lee- Do you use the P/B or 8-/20 Brnz? I use the 80/20's on my J-45 and they sound great. It's mahogony and I was wondering if they would sound good on my SJ-200 maple or would the P/B's sound better? Ray Wilie Hubbard! Isn't he a pal of Jerry Jeff's? I have Jerry Jeff's "Live at Gruen Hall" album. Cool that you got to play there. ( Oh, I'm talking about Elixer Nano's)

• 1 year later...

Friend,

I own 2 CJ-165s...a Sunburst EC, and a non cutaway natural Spruce Top, Rosewood Back & Sides. I've been experimenting with lots of different strings, and even though it's always a very subjective call, I really like the 80/20 Elixer Nano Mediums. Sound-wise I haven't found anything that honestly beats what Gibson ships them out with, but then again I trust they have been doing this long enough to know what works.

Anyway...hope you enjoy yours as much I do mine.

James

Archived