Gibson Brands Forums

Must not be doing it right

WahKeen

I'm not an expert but know the basics as to relieving neck tightness and vice versa to deal with fret buzz. I like a relatively low action, but when I lower the bridge saddle and adjust the truss rod, I still get bad fret buzz. Both my LPs are customs, and I ended taking one of them to be professionally set up. The result was good.

Now, I.m trying to do it myself with the other one and it ends up like the first one when I messed with it befote I took it in. So it's me that's doing something wrong,and the necks are not the promblem.

When I did them both, they ended with higher action than I wanted, especially on the low strings, but no fret buzz, but they were too high.

Ok, call me dumb, but is it better to set up the neck without strings or does it make a difference? Don't want to pay another $50 if I don't have to. But will if I can't seem to fare well.

Need advice please. Thanks.

Edit: The higher up on the neck, the higher the

action (too high), and the lower neck action is ideal. are

There's several variables here - nut slot depth, saddle height, neck straightness (bumps, dips, twists), fret levelness and relief. When players want to go really low in the upper frets, the standard nut slot depth can sometimes be a bit too deep.

Here's a couple good resources to read through - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/TechSupport/Repair%20Columns/Basic-Guitar-Setup/

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss Rod Adjustment

Thanks for the links fellows. I'll post pics of the nut in just a min. The intonation, you're right, is simple. Not having read the links yet, do I need to file the nut a bit? And i know this has been covered before, so I'm sorry about that....

I got some really good info reading an Ibanez instruction book once. And it's true. It instructs to adjust the truss rod while you adjust the action ACCORDING to fret buzz.

Like this: lower the action until you start to get buzz. If you get buzz when playing up toward the nut but not when you play up the neck, you need more relief. If you get buzz on the upper registers but not at the lower frets toward the nut, then you need less relief (straighter neck).

Keep in mind when you change the neck relief, you are changing the string height, so you will have to go back and forth with this until you are low and happy.

Keep in mind also, that of corse the action will get higher as it goes up the neck. The thing is, it will FEEL very similar to the same height in ways because it takes less effort to hold down a string at the center of it then at the beginning of it by the nut.

Also, regarding the nut: the higher the action is at the nut, the higher it is everywhere. So, 1/32 higher at the nut will translate to 1/32 higher on all positions. The lower you can get the nut, the lower you will be able to set the action.

Keep in mind that adjusting the relief has less effect at the two ends of the neck than the center. The deepest area of relief will be around fret 6 and that is where the relief measurement is usually taken.

Before you start jacking your truss rod, determine where the buzz is coming from. If it's in the first couple of frets or above 10, look at the nut slot depths - they're most likely too deep.

Well, after messing with it for a couple of hours and the goal being as little fret buzz as possible, I wnded up with, again, higher action than desired. I read the links, and was on the right track all along. Maybe it's not my forte to get a neck right, lol. There's little to no buzz, bur at the cost of, well you know by now. If I can't get used to it, I might just have to take it in. [unsure]

Well, at least it plays blues good. Shredding is more trying. My gold top is to be set up faster.

Well, after messing with it for a couple of hours and the goal being as little fret buzz as possible, I wnded up with, again, higher action than desired. I read the links, and was on the right track all along. Maybe it's not my forte to get a neck right, lol. There's little to no buzz, bur at the cost of, well you know by now. If I can't get used to it, I might just have to take it in. [unsure]

Well, at least it plays blues good. Shredding is more trying. My gold top is to be set up faster.

Sometimes a set-up is like food: it seems to taste better when someone else cooks it. It could be the guitar that was set up for you actually has a LITTLE buzz but the one you are working on yourself you are holding to a higher standard.

And, you could compared the two and attempt to duplicate the action of the GT on the one you are doing, and see what may be different (like the nut hieght). If for anything, a learning experience.

Don't be hard on yourself or give up. You might step away for a while or come back when you feel like it, but doing a good setup takes a little practice, and doing a GREAT one takes practice and effort.

Sometimes a set-up is like food: it seems to taste better when someone else cooks it. It could be the guitar that was set up for you actually has a LITTLE buzz but the one you are working on yourself you are holding to a higher standard.

And, you could compared the two and attempt to duplicate the action of the GT on the one you are doing, and see what may be different (like the nut hieght). If for anything, a learning experience.

Don't be hard on yourself or give up. You might step away for a while or come back when you feel like it, but doing a good setup takes a little practice, and doing a GREAT one takes practice and effort.

Yeah, stein, I do "want" that "perfect" setup, if there is such a thing. I suffer from "man that guy's sound is nice, he must have the perfect guitar for himitis". When in fact it's nor perfect. I do have heavy hands like others here, so in the end it's not a bad thing. I do seem to be haed on myself without realizing it. Funny how that translated on the internets, hah. So, how much do I owe you, stein? Lol.

And thanks guys. I'm just trying to get ready for California's competition and I'd hate to have badt00ne... [sneaky][biggrin]

Yeah, stein, I do "want" that "perfect" setup, if there is such a thing. I suffer from "man that guy's sound is nice, he must have the perfect guitar for himitis". When in fact it's nor perfect. I do have heavy hands like others here, so in the end it's not a bad thing. I do seem to be haed on myself without realizing it. Funny how that translated on the internets, hah. So, how much do I owe you, stein? Lol.

And thanks guys. I'm just trying to get ready for California's competition and I'd hate to have badt00ne... [sneaky][biggrin]

WELL, if THAT ain't funny..

When I heard your recordings and say your axes, I thought to myself, THAT guy has the perfect stuff for himself, gots beautiful guitars and KNOWS how to use them.

And you are the one out playing, not me. You are the one representing, giving it back, and doing it for with the MAN, from on up high.

How much do I owe you?

I've always tried to not use neck relief, so that I have even action across the neck. Compared to my SG, your nut looks like it's a bit low, so you might want to look into shimming it up just a bit. It took me hours to set up my guitar the first time, and I just recently set it back up, again taking hours. Setting up a guitar is a love hate/ trail and error process my friend, but the rewards are worth it!

Archived