Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian guitar parts source

bluesboy1

I am wishing to replace the electronics on my Epi semi-hollow body. Any suggestions for a Canadian source for guitar electronics?

Thank you for your time. cheers.

I live in Oz and I just get my stuff posted from the US, using eBay's "price + postage: lowest first" sort feature to get the best deal, go for CTS pots with the brass sleeves, Alpha for push/pulls, and Switchcraft switches and jacks, look for a seller that has the best average price for all the gear and get it from them, that way you'll only be expecting 1 package and shipping will be much cheaper.

Hey Bluesboy-

Fellow canuck here. I've gone different routes on this. I've ordered parts through local Long and McQuade store and they don't seem to add much of a markup (if any). For Canada in particular, there's "guitar parts canada" (www.guitarpartscanada.com) but I have not tried them, however the folks at L&M use them for some of their orders. I currently have on order a complete wiring harness for my joe pass from Mojotone in the states based on suggestions from folks on the forum. I have not received my order yet, but so far their service seems good (a couple of email updates and some questions about the guitar). They have kits for most guitars, and ship to Canada all the time, with multiple shipping options. There are numerous other options in the states (stewmac,etc).

-Cal

I am interested in removing the stock electronics in my Epi Sheraton and replace with ES 335-like components that would aid in my search for a more vintage blues tone. I noticed that one can order individual electronics parts or go with an upgrade kit. Upgrade kits seem a little pricey at ~$200 range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in removing the stock electronics in my Epi Sheraton and replace with ES 335-like components that would aid in my search for a more vintage blues tone. I noticed that one can order individual electronics parts or go with an upgrade kit. Upgrade kits seem a little pricey at ~$200 range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Leaving out the pickups for a minute, changing the electronics in your guitar (pots, wires, etc) isn't going change a heck of alot of anything tone-wise. As for pickups, I have yet to find any place in Canada that sells Gibson pickups anywhere near as cheap as they can be found in the US. With the devaluation of the US dollar relative to ours, it is getting better here. But I still see '57 Classics in stores for around $130 - $150 Cdn when they can be had for around $80 or so on eBay auctions.

Thanx for that. Was able to get 57 classics for $105 each from MF. Have the electronics on order thru US company. Looking forward to changing the stock components.

cheers.

L & M carry ALL Parts and Gibson branded parts they should be able to order you in CTS pots and the Short switch along with a few caps. And a switch craft 1/4 inch. Be aware though that you will need to enlarge the holes for US spec. parts.

Which can be done with a round file .

A buddy of mine went to the St. John's L&M and got so fed up waiting for his parts that he had prepaid for that he ordered them from the US and got them in 10 days and is still waiting for the L&M parts after 3 months.You may find your L&M better.BTW CTS has a Canadian subsidary outlet in ON. and in PQ also I believe but I don't know exactly where-you can find the site on CTS's directory link on its home page.

I'm in eastern Canada. I had a 3 month wait for my P-94s through L&M, but I think they were hard to get in (even listed as out of stock on the Gibson website). In contrast, I ordered a complete wiring harness for my Joe Pass from Mojotone on May 22 (Sunday) and it arrived yesterday through regular mail (u.s. priority post?), so about 11 days...5 of those days it was sitting in customs in Quebec. This included an email exchange between myself and mojotone regarding specific measurements on the guitar. Total was $90 u.s. plus $18 can tax and duty at the post office. I ordered a bigsby and roller bridge through StewMac last week and it arrived a day later from fed ex.

I live in Alberta. I've been ordering from the US for some time now. Even with shipping, I can get parts for less.

The aforementioned guitarpartscanada, is based in Vancouver. I called about some prices a couple of months ago and was disappointed in how high the prices were.

Archived