Gibson Brands Forums

does the J-50 still exist ?

hardmodskin

The J-50 model has been absent from Gibson's website for quite some time now...was wondering if it's officially no longer made or now called something else? I was flipping through the latest Entertainment Weekly and saw an ad for some floss (yes as in dental care) featuring some young country star spokesman playing what appears to be a brand new Gibson. The ad even mentions the model number in the text as part of the overall campaign of comparing a Gibson's exacting standards to the standards of making dental floss. Kinda funny. But yes, so again.....is the J-50 still in production??

You can order all of the J-45s in "antique natural" finish. The only difference between that and the J-50 is the label. Of course, Gibson would probably be willing to put a J-50 label on one of these antique natural J-45s for an extra $1000.

The J-50 model has been absent from Gibson's website for quite some time now...was wondering if it's officially no longer made or now called something else? I was flipping through the latest Entertainment Weekly and saw an ad for some floss (yes as in dental care) featuring some young country star spokesman playing what appears to be a brand new Gibson. The ad even mentions the model number in the text as part of the overall campaign of comparing a Gibson's exacting standards to the standards of making dental floss. Kinda funny. But yes, so again.....is the J-50 still in production??

...Can you scan and upload the ad? Love to see it....

..I'm sure the Custom Shop will make you one if you ask nicely!

The original J-50 (about 1948), and the early '50s models, had the same small tear-drop pickguard as the J-45. By all sources, it really was a J-45 with a natural top and slightly different binding and soundhole purfling. Generally speaking, the changes tracked those of the J-45, but maybe the pickguard design diverged at some point to further differentiate the appearance of the two models.

The other thing I've noticed on fairly early J-50s is that the mahogany sides and back were not stained dark, as the J-45's were. At that point, it really was an "all natural" finish.

You pays yer money, and you takes yer choice.

Just my observations, as a J-owner and student thereof since the mid-60s......

...Can you scan and upload the ad? Love to see it....

..I'm sure the Custom Shop will make you one if you ask nicely!

OK, here are the scans as best as my primitive brain can make happen on this new-fangled "computer."

gibson.jpg

gibson2.jpg

Now I understand why the tone of my J-45 isn't what it used to be: I'm stringing it with the wrong type of dental floss. And my teeth are taking a beating from flossing with my high E string!

I'm confused......

Now I understand why the tone of my J-45 isn't what it used to be: I'm stringing it with the wrong type of dental floss. And my teeth are taking a beating from flossing with my high E string!

I'm confused......

i just cut my gums to shreds on a D'addario string. next time i'm flossing with Elixirs!

Archived