Gibson Brands Forums

MXR Custom Badass Distortion

chase1410

I picked one of the bad boys up yesterday for only 80$..Damn cheap for a nice MXR Custom true-bypass pedal...Premier Guitar gave it a great review, and for 80$, I thought why not? Brought it home, expecting it to be nothing special, but I was pleasantly surprised...For its price, it's a great Distortion...I would actually consider it more of a High-Gain OD, due to the fact, that it can't do metal, or real Hard Rock...Anyways just a great little dirt pedal for the price..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXZFHf7WWcQ

Sounds pretty sweet if you're into classic rock and whatnot. I dig the finish.

So is it designed to be a Marshall in a box type thing? It sounds a lot like a Marshall but not quite.

idk, I'm not big on relating amps to pedals...I think alot of the distortion pedals that are coming out these days are creatures of there own..I've been playing a few high-gain amplifiers recently ( Orange Thunder 30 and Rockerverb 50, Mesa 5:50,BlackStar 20 & 60W and some Marshall Tube combos I can't remember). And I really prefer all of my pedal's distortion to any of these Amp's regular tube distortion...I believe my dirt pedals are a whole lot less noisy, not nearly as fizzy and fuzzy, much more "smoother" and just so much more versatile...Now granted I havent played a Mesa Dual or Triple Rec, but have played a decent amount of high gain amps, and I'll pick my Fender HRD and my pedalboard any day..

Cool pedal. Sounds very vintage-y. Also, I agree that it sounds like more of an OD, albeit a higher-gain one. I would love one.

idk, I'm not big on relating amps to pedals...I think alot of the distortion pedals that are coming out these days are creatures of there own..I've been playing a few high-gain amplifiers recently ( Orange Thunder 30 and Rockerverb 50, Mesa 5:50,BlackStar 20 & 60W and some Marshall Tube combos I can't remember). And I really prefer all of my pedal's distortion to any of these Amp's regular tube distortion...I believe my dirt pedals are a whole lot less noisy, not nearly as fizzy and fuzzy, much more "smoother" and just so much more versatile...Now granted I havent played a Mesa Dual or Triple Rec, but have played a decent amount of high gain amps, and I'll pick my Fender HRD and my pedalboard any day..

If you're into tight high-gain distortion, you'd like the Dual Rec. I swear, they're amazing. ENGL amps are also pretty good.

Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist uses an ENGL Savage, if I'm not mistaken. His tones always sound great, IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g&feature=related

Not gonna lie though, my post is mainly an excuse to share Necrophagist tracks.

I prefer the dirt I get with my pedals over my amp's dirt also. My **** overdrive is serving me well as my only OD.

Btw I'd love to hear what you're doin with your El Cap. Have you recorded anything with it? I have a couple loops I'd like to show you.

I prefer the dirt I get with my pedals over my amp's dirt also. My **** overdrive is serving me well as my only OD.

Btw I'd love to hear what you're doin with your El Cap. Have you recorded anything with it? I have a couple loops I'd like to show you.

I like my amp's gain channel [biggrin]

But then again, the only dirt I have at the moment is two fuzzes... makes me sad

I like my amp's gain channel [biggrin]

But then again, the only dirt I have at the moment is two fuzzes... makes me sad

lol..I should clarify as well, that I meant DISTORTION, alot of the boutique Class A amps, have some of most beautiful tube overdriven sounds I've heard...As demonknight pointed out pretty well, I love that tight smooth high gain distortion...but overdrive is whole other story..though I do love my Green Rhino and OCD... [cool]

lol..I should clarify as well, that I meant DISTORTION, alot of the boutique Class A amps, have some of most beautiful tube overdriven sounds I've heard...As demonknight pointed out pretty well, I love that tight smooth high gain distortion...but overdrive is whole other story..though I do love my Green Rhino and OCD... [cool]

Yeah, I hear you. I love my amp for that nasty garage rock/stoner rock sound. Tune down and let her rip [thumbup]

If I had to do distortion, I would get a tight smooth distortion, I hate noisy distortion, just give me fuzz instead.

Cool pedal. Sounds very vintage-y. Also, I agree that it sounds like more of an OD, albeit a higher-gain one. I would love one.

If you're into tight high-gain distortion, you'd like the Dual Rec. I swear, they're amazing. ENGL amps are also pretty good.

Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist uses an ENGL Savage, if I'm not mistaken. His tones always sound great, IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g&feature=related

Not gonna lie though, my post is mainly an excuse to share Necrophagist tracks.

If you ask me Muhammeds tone is the worst in the DM bussines...

He's still a great player thought but sometimes his tone sounds too techy.

Archived