Gibson Brands Forums

MXR Carbon Copy question

EVOL!

Been trying to get some Scotty Moore / Elvis 1954 slap back from my Carbon Copy, but having no luck. I checked out the user manual online and the suggested setting (regen @ noon, mix @ 10, & delay @ 7) is too much for the regen and it sends the pedal osculating out of control. Nice if you want to freak people out, but not so good if you are looking for a usable sound.

1. Does your Carbon Copy freak out when using the recommended SLAP setting in the user manual?

2. Do you have any other suggested settings for slap back I could start with? Delay is very new to me. Resisted using one until late last year.

My setting that I use on two songs (one is a sick 8 minute ambient space rock jam we will be playing live soon) has all the knobs right around 1 o clock

That's the kind of delay I use most of the time. Haven't messed around with that kind of slapback sound or whatnot too much. I don't have too much freak out on the pedal unless i have the regens set around 3 o clock

My CC goes bananas if I have the Regen and Delay set higher than 6. -Cool for outer space sounds, but otherwise irritating. From the settings you described, I'd recommend either turning down the Regen knob, or the Mix knob.

I never paid attention to the recommended settings in the manual. However, for me, Delay set at 7 seems a bit long to get a slap back sound. I have had luck setting the Delay knob at around 3 or 4, and the Regen at like 2 or 3 (so there's maybe only a repeat or two).

Mix- 11o clock

Regen - 9 o clock

Time- 10 clock

I sold mine about a week ago, but the only reason I used it was for slapback..If you amp has a fx loop make sure to pop it in there...

Sorry to laugh, but my amp was built before I was born; around '64. No FX loops back then.

That's such a stupid suggestion...

Turn the regen all the way down or just barely up. Same with the delay. All the way down might not be noticable enough so you might want to just turn it up a hair.

And well you know... the Strymon El Cap is an awesome delay

I got your back Travis, I know you didn't plug Strymon, but I did it for you

Archived