Gibson Brands Forums

Hello all

Pete B

I found this forum when trying to sort out my G-400 that I got from fleabay, bit of a bargain. 2003 korean model with grovers.

Noticed something wrong with when I unwrapped it at work, top E felt a bit funny [confused] , it was a 17, B was a 13 and G was another 17.

Replaced strings with my usual super slinkys, odd that a tune o matic would fall out when doing this, never happened on my very old Columbus LP copy. Tuned it in and it sounded nice'ish. the bridge pickup sounded funny, so I searched the interweb and found this forum for the correct setup height.

So I lowered the pickup from microns away from the strings to the recomended 1/16" away (I must get some non magnetic feeler gauges). Played it for a while and it sounded great.

Came home today and something was still strange about it, I know new strings need bedding in but, there was something I was missing. The A string was buzzing against the frets, checket the fret heights and nothing there. [cursing]

Looked at the bridge again and thought that the adjusting screws seemed easier to get to than my old LP copy while thinking that their adjusting positions seemed funny. [unsure] Then it dawned on me what was wrong. Tune O Matic bridge was in backwards!

Sorted now. One of the knobs was cracked too, fleabay provided, but I noticed that you can buy knobs that go to "11", very tempted by these [tongue] .

G'day and welcome to the forum, great bunch of guys around here, hope you enjoy it.

Pickup heights aren't set in stone, the figures provided are approximate heights to begin with, info on setup adjustments and posting pics can be found in the DO-IT YOURSELF thread pinned to the top of the Epi lounge section, thanks to animalfarm who compiled and maintains it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

Welcome Pete B. Glad to hear you got the git working.

Tune-o-matic bridges can't technically be put in 'backwards', it's just a matter of personal preference as to whether you like the screws on the neck side or on the tailpiece side. Some folk find that on some guitars if you put the screws facing the tailpiece side, the strings will foul the screw heads if the tailpiece is screwed all the way down.

That doesn't happen on my Sheraton so I prefer the screws facing the tailpiece for easier access. YMMV, as they say on the internet.

My girlfriend's go to 15.

Shhh, Don't tell my wife!

Welcome to the forum ...

Pics?

Willy

What? My wife's only go to 5! What am I doing wrong???

Welcome Pete B. Glad to hear you got the git working.

Tune-o-matic bridges can't technically be put in 'backwards'...

Technically, you are correct. But if the saddles are worn and it gets put on "backwards", it could cause some problems, as well as the intonation being off.

Tune-o-matic bridges can't technically be put in 'backwards', it's just a matter of personal preference as to whether you like the screws on the neck side or on the tailpiece side.

The other part to this is that the wire screw retainer is missing allowing the screws to rotate vertically out of their slot, when a string is fretted or bent, if on backwards. Having the screws face the neck should stop this till I get a retainer.

Also if I was to want the screws facing away from the neck I think I'd opt for a bridge that the screws go into holes rather than slots and wire.

Archived