Gibson Brands Forums

AMPS AMPS AMPS

SGplayer1994

The Peavey 6505 112 combo sells at Guitar Center for $599.99. You might be able to haggle it down a bit though. That would be the best bet, I think...

60W, all tube, professional grade...high-gain. I think that would be a good choice.

Of course, you may actually find a Line 6 to your liking. The gain settings happen to not be too bad (although if I were you I'd go with the Peavey.)

I'm getting rid of my modified VOX AC50 if you're interested.... I don't use distortion pedals... But the amp does need to be pegged to get it to crunch (volume 7 to 10 it starts to sound very very mean)... But IMO that's where most tube amps sound mean.

The first vid is the rhythm part using my Kramer Baretta.....the lead is using my Gibson 72 SG200.... The amp is cranked to 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKBpSec7Yc

I did a lead part for Shred (3:00 min mark).... I'm using my 80 Gibby LPC, and again my VOXAC50, and it's cranked to max again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEt2MxjD4s

you play in a band???

I play in 3 bands, and unfortunately none of those line ups actually want to play at clubs or anything. I play maybe 8 shows a year at barbecues for my dad's work division or for city events.

There is no best. There is only what you like...and I don't know what that is...

That is true, but unfortunately the nearest guitar shop is about $20 of gas away, so I'm trying to get personal recommendations so that I get the most out of the trip.

Line 6

Insane setting

no more questions

I see many people who get a fair tone out of a Line 6, but they've never been for me. Thanks though!

The Peavey 6505 112 combo sells at Guitar Center for $599.99. You might be able to haggle it down a bit though. That would be the best bet, I think...

60W, all tube, professional grade...high-gain. I think that would be a good choice.

Of course, you may actually find a Line 6 to your liking. The gain settings happen to not be too bad (although if I were you I'd go with the Peavey.)

Just looked it up on YouTube and Sweetwater. Looks promising [thumbup]

Marshall, Peavey, Laney, Mesa Boogie, etc. there is a lot out there to try.

The thing with Marshall and Mesa Boogie is they're way too far out of my price range right now, despite how awesome it would be to own one. Never heard of Laney, I'll check them out.

I'm getting rid of my modified VOX AC50 if you're interested.... I don't use distortion pedals... But the amp does need to be pegged to get it to crunch (volume 7 to 10 it starts to sound very very mean)... But IMO that's where most tube amps sound mean.

The first vid is the rhythm part using my Kramer Baretta.....the lead is using my Gibson 72 SG200.... The amp is cranked to 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKBpSec7Yc

I did a lead part for Shred (3:00 min mark).... I'm using my 80 Gibby LPC, and again my VOXAC50, and it's cranked to max again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEt2MxjD4s

Duane, that tone in the first one was so raw, so heavy, and so up my alley. That's the kind of balls to the wall tone I love!

You sir, have one nice amp (and guitar I must add) there.

As enticing as that sounds though, It's probably way too much power to keep in my bedroom and my parents would not like to hear a rock concert in the house all the time haha.

Duane, that tone in the first one was so raw, so heavy, and so up my alley. That's the kind of balls to the wall tone I love!

You sir, have one nice amp (and guitar I must add) there.

As enticing as that sounds though, It's probably way too much power to keep in my bedroom and my parents would not like to hear a rock concert in the house all the time haha.

for what it is it sure is cool little amp, and it's a loud sucker for sure..... but if you change your mind give me a PM

You can find some used Marshall and Mesa amps within your price range. They're not going to be top of the line stuff but they should do a passing job.

This is true, but I've had bad experience with amplifiers in the past.

Line 6 Spider IV 100 watt - something just went downright bad with the preamp (thank god for guitar center warranty)

Behringer K3000FX Keyboard Amplifier - went bad in the preamp (thanks again for guitar center warranty)

Marshall Class 5 - nasty rattling sound (love guitar center warranty)

So, with that being said, I'm very nervous about purchasing a used amplifier that costs a good chunk of change.

for what it is it sure is cool little amp, and it's a loud sucker for sure..... but if you change your mind give me a PM

I'll be sure to let you know. Believe me I'm interested in an amp like that, but I have the obstacles of being 16 (in other words parents [biggrin]) and if SoCal is South California, I live about a five day drive away haha.

This is true, but I've had bad experience with amplifiers in the past.

Line 6 Spider IV 100 watt - something just went downright bad with the preamp (thank god for guitar center warranty)

Behringer K3000FX Keyboard Amplifier - went bad in the preamp (thanks again for guitar center warranty)

Marshall Class 5 - nasty rattling sound (love guitar center warranty)

So, with that being said, I'm very nervous about purchasing a used amplifier that costs a good chunk of change.

I've had pretty good success with used amps, just put it through its paces before you hand over the cash.

Here's my thought...

Don't spend the money unless your're getting paid and what you're buying matches the overall sound needs of the band or solo gig.

For example, if you're largely going through the board miked, you'll not need the degree of power as if you've got a much weaker PA that's just for voice and you're powering through the rest of the mix.

Then again, if you've got a gazillion decibels that you've gotta hit in order to get to what you'd consider a sweet spot in the amp, but the others in the band are running a third of the output, you've also a problem.

My feeling is that is interesting how many of us will see club bands with batches of cash in equipment but... it just doesn't "fit" when they play, and hearing what they're doing - what one assumes a band should want to do - is impossible.

m

I'll be sure to let you know. Believe me I'm interested in an amp like that, but I have the obstacles of being 16 (in other words parents [biggrin]) and if SoCal is South California, I live about a five day drive away haha.

LOL!!!

It's So. Cali [biggrin]

Purchasing a used amp is always a bit scary.... Plus having a good amp tech in your neck of the woods is a must if you do buy used, so that you can have it checked out..... Whatever you decide, I'm glad to hear you're rocking out at 16...

Here's me when I was 17 (1982).... I was running out of a 150 watt SMF Tour Series amp at the time [biggrin]

224703_204950122876622_100000849082235_495276_7243252_n.jpg

I've had pretty good success with used amps, just put it through its paces before you hand over the cash.

Makes sense, I'd just have to do a tremendous amount of research so that I know what to look for as far as flaws in a tube amp, sound aside.

Here's my thought...

Don't spend the money unless your're getting paid and what you're buying matches the overall sound needs of the band or solo gig.

For example, if you're largely going through the board miked, you'll not need the degree of power as if you've got a much weaker PA that's just for voice and you're powering through the rest of the mix.

Then again, if you've got a gazillion decibels that you've gotta hit in order to get to what you'd consider a sweet spot in the amp, but the others in the band are running a third of the output, you've also a problem.

My feeling is that is interesting how many of us will see club bands with batches of cash in equipment but... it just doesn't "fit" when they play, and hearing what they're doing - what one assumes a band should want to do - is impossible.

m

I never get paid to play, but it's just and obsessive hobby for me. I don't really have a selection of musicians to play with in south east GA, but I have started just writing songs by myself for fun. Playing guitiar gives me something money can't get me, such as a way for me to truly express myself and be good at something that doesn't involve work. That to me, is worth the investment.

I never get paid to play, but it's just and obsessive hobby for me. I don't really have a selection of musicians to play with in south east GA, but I have started just writing songs by myself for fun. Playing guitiar gives me something money can't get me, such as a way for me to truly express myself and be good at something that doesn't involve work. That to me, is worth the investment.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Makes sense, I'd just have to do a tremendous amount of research so that I know what to look for as far as flaws in a tube amp, sound aside.

In my opinion you should research heavily on any amp purchase, new or used. Learn from other people's experiences, it can save you some money. Especially after the warranty is up. I'm glad you enjoy playing, keep your eyes open you might find some others to play with. It's a totally different and exciting experience to create music with a full band.

LOL!!!

It's So. Cali [biggrin]

Purchasing a used amp is always a bit scary.... Plus having a good amp tech in your neck of the woods is a must if you do buy used, so that you can have it checked out..... Whatever you decide, I'm glad to hear you're rocking out at 16...

Here's me when I was 17 (1982).... I was running out of a 150 watt SMF Tour Series amp at the time [biggrin]

224703_204950122876622_100000849082235_495276_7243252_n.jpg

Yeah, if you call the untrained monkeys at Guitar Center amp techs, then I do haha.

Fender = Not durable

MesaBoogie = Sounds Great at loud volumes, but has a steep learning curve when dialing in tones.

Marshall = Needs to be cranked to max.... better consider a attenuator so your band mates wont hate you.

Peavey = only sounds good at low volume

Laney = too processed

Hiwatt = Needs to be cranked to max

SMF Tour Series (Sound Shitty... I mean Sound City) = Great amps if you dont mind getting a good shock every now and again.

Soldano = Second best amp I have ever plugged into

Mojave AmpWorks = IMO best amp made, and it has it's own DNA

Swan = boring and dull sounding

Caroll Ann = Great tone

Bogner = Great tone

VOX = Versatile, but have the FX loop removed... it's a tone killer for that amp

Orange = Terrible

Yesterday my Mom showed me a photo I'd forgotten existed - me with a trumpet in my first rock band in high school too close to half a century ago.

I couldn't even tell I was me except for the other guys. <grin>

Yeah, it's great fun.

Still... I'll stick more or less with my initial suggestion. In fact, this may expand it: Small amp and a small inexpensive PA system of your own with a mike or two and stands. Make your bandmates buy their own. That would take you up to your budget and keep you in a circumstance to make changes in your musical life with some personal control over the next few years.

Two years at age 16 seems forever. It's not. To me, buying gear with some greater flexibility as you grow and develop is the best idea. Heck, I'm old enough to be your grandpa and I'm still looking at stuff that way. I'm far from being past growing, believe me; and I don't mean my belly, either.

A good guitar should be versatile enough for several styles - and I blew it with several I had because I thought they didn't fit the image for what I was playing. Dumb - and up to twice your age at the time. It also was dumb when I dumped my tube PA system. The speakers were lousy, but for a solo gig more than enough.

The Deluxe Reverb - original and bought new - should still be mine instead of one with enough whumpf to blow out windows that never leaves the house.

Just some things to think about.

m

Archived