Gibson Brands Forums

Packing a Gibson for Shipping...

Spot

Hey Guys, I just sold my '89 335 and packed her up to ship in a nice Taylor Guitar Box. Anyway, after detuning the strings, putting newspaper between the strings, packing the case in the box and then filling the the case with peanuts I notice that something appeared to be rattling in the box!

I decided to completely unpack the guitar and investigate the noise. Well it appears that the noise was the actual guitar moving freely in its case from side to side!!!

[scared]

This sounds to me like a recipe for a broken neck!!!

Should I add some padding inside the case (under the elvis cape) around the neck and body areas to make sure there is no movement?

My concern is that I don't want to but any additional padding in the top part of the case under the neadstock as this is could cause a snap!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

[blush]

I had returned a guitar to Gibson, packaged pretty much the same as you (minus de-tuning and newspaper), and I assume that it arrived in one piece. When the replacement guitar arrived from Gibson, I noticed that they hadn't done anything special; no extra padding inside the case, which wasn't the arched type, either. The guitar (A Epi Dot) was fine. Insurance is, of course, a good idea.

Get some bubble wrap and tuck in any loose areas around the body and place a piece thats cut about 5" wide and lay it down the strings. Do not put anything around the headstock. You do not want any pressure on the headstock.

Then repack the box.

DO NOT USE STYRENE PACKING PEANUTS

I cant stress this enough, I kid you not when I say we ship probably $50,000 a day in car parts via UPS/Fedex/DHL out of here and never will we use packing peanuts. Your package ends up settling to the bottom and as you found out can move freely but packing peanuts also give no crush space, best thing is to load it up with crumpled newspaper and try and keep about 6 inches of packing around all of the guitar for crush space. If you cant package it like this do your best and either way insure it, I have seen countless damaged products come in from UPS and stuff and its not the drivers faults its the people loading the trucks at the distribution center hitting your package with a forklift or pallet jack and there not being a crush space.

.... Well it appears that the noise was the actual guitar moving freely in its case from side to side!!! ....

The guitar not fitting snugly in the case is indeed a recipe for disaster.

+1 on the bubble wrap.

I would use bubble wrap at the headstock end to stabilize it and keep cushioning between the headstock and the sides, top and bottom of the case. If the body is loose, stabilize it on the sides and top. These bubble wrap cushions should not be tight against the guitar, but snug. Putting peanuts or packing paper in the box to stabilize the case is a good move.

Dooooah,.....the deal feel through.

And I got a beautiful boxed and safe as house 335 with no place to go!!!

[crying]

what box did you get?, i went to loads of guitar shops but none had a shipping box [rolleyes] ...i ended up going to my local cycle shop (halfords) and getting a childs cycle box, posted 4 guitars using them boxes with no probs B)

again, sorry about ur crap day mate #-o

what box did you get?, i went to loads of guitar shops but none had a shipping box [rolleyes] ...i ended up going to my local cycle shop (halfords) and getting a childs cycle box, posted 4 guitars using them boxes with no probs B)

again, sorry about ur crap day mate #-o

Hey Steve I got Taylor box. They are great because they have two plastic protection pieces at each end the really protect a guitar

Archived