Gibson Brands Forums

One off flying V

dem00n

I saw that earlier today as well...I have two issue's with it..

IMO the pickguard, completely take's away from...well everything...

And no fretboard binding???

The binding wouldnt go, i can see it now.

I saw that earlier today as well...I have two issue's with it..

IMO the pickguard, completely take's away from...well everything...

And no fretboard binding???

I think that they are in keeping with tradition. '50s Vees, Explorers, and Modernes do have guards or binding. This guitar appears to be a '58 re-issue. I would like it either way. Personally I am a sucker for all of the the oddball shaped Gibsons. I like then with or without binding on the neck or body and with or without guards. I collect Gibsons instead of Fenders because I can own 25 Gibsons that are all very much different. Here is my customized '67 that is loosely modelled after Schenker's.

AP3290778.jpg

I think that they are in keeping with tradition. '50s Vees, Explorers, and Modernes do have guards or binding. This guitar appears to be a '58 re-issue. I would like it either way. Personally I am a sucker for all of the the oddball shaped Gibsons. I like then with or without binding on the neck or body and with or without guards. I collect Gibsons instead of Fenders because I can own 25 Gibsons that are all very much different. Here is my customized '67 that is loosely modelled after Schenker's.

AP3290778.jpg

Wait, wait, thats a 67?!

You own a vintage flying v? :mellow:

I too love the oddball shapes...Hell look at my Minarik Inferno...That's one sexy V, and I love all the mods done to it [thumbup] ...Though outa of the wierd shape Gibson's I prefer my Explorer, the Flying V is a must as well in my arsenal..

Wait, wait, thats a 67?!

You own a vintage flying v? :mellow:

Same as the one K.K.Downing played in the early days. Note the Vibrola and the long, pointed headstock. '70s Vees have no Vibrola and stubby headstocks.

Damn thats nice!

What pups did you put in them?

Double black SH-6, double white Ibanez Super 70, black and white local pawn shop, but it sounds killer. The bridge pickup changes from time to time. I gave the original pickups to a friend in the early '80s to put in his '63 335. He still has the guitar and the pickups. They have an excellent home. The 335 sounds deadly and I am guessing that he will die with that guitar around his neck.

I always found it odd how 335's with hot pups sound so good, but if you put hot pups in other semi hollow bodies the tone isnt so good. Guess its a Gibson thing?

It seems that it takes some effort to find anything that sounds bad in a good 335. The original pickups from the Vee are actually more medium output with a nice vintage tone. Think Clapton's 335 in The Cream.

Archived