Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Emmanuel

cookieman15061

Tommy is AWESOME!

I agree. I think his nervous system was built without bothering with synapses that might slow down the impulses, it looks to be all hard wired with no gaps. His skill set is amazing and best of all, he seems to be having so much fun. Also enjoy that clip of him playing Boogie in E. Great post. Thanks.

I saw him last November unbelievable player.

I think I'm right when I say at 5 he was touring playing backing for his mom? The school board eventually stepped in and made her stop. He went to school then.

Never seen him live - one for me "To See" list... but love his records and he's a genuinely nice bloke too, by all accounts.

He guested with Les Paul at the Iridium shortly before the great man passed - there's a documentary showing the performance. Les is watching him with a look of huge respect (awe, even?) on his face.

He's a genuine "guitarist's guitarist".

I saw him last November unbelievable player.

I think I'm right when I say at 5 he was touring playing backing for his mom? The school board eventually stepped in and made her stop. He went to school then.

This might explain some of his ability. He moves so efficiently around the neck and seems inspired. If I recall correctly, brain science shows that people who learn to play a stringed instrument before age 10 or 12 (can't remember which) are more efficient while playing later in life. They use fewer neuro-pathways to get it done. I found this disturbing as I was 18 before I started guitar. There is some strange comfort in this as it might explain some of why I struggle so much more with guitar than with drums.

I started at 11. I'm totally self taught. But I feel I need the theory. I find that many players lack something.

I don't feel in 'awe' of many. Off the top of my head I'd name a few as Tommy E(naturally), EVH, Andy Timmons...

I find fault in others, Ie, Gary Moore( vibrato too fast). Satriani(too cocky), Hendrix (too many mistakes)...

I'll probably be slagged off for these comments, but they're MY comments and my opinion.

Archived