Gibson Brands Forums

Shining Star - Earth Wind and Fire.

Searcy

I went to see them live a couple of years ago and they were painful. We walked out before the end.

It was the 'Philip Bailey show really. He just screamed all night in that high pitch. It was a case of 'Look at me, I'm great'. Awful. Such a disappointment.

But I still love the albums. September, etc.

In (I think) 1976, I went to see Santana.

The support act was some bunch of guys we'd never heard of called Earth, Wind & Fire.

We were in 2 minds about watching them, or heading straight for the bar. In the end we decided to give them a go....

Absolutely awesome. Bass player on wires doing summersaults, drum rostum up in the air and rotating! Great show and fantastic music. Went out the morning after anf bought a copy of Gratitude.

A week or so later they relased Saturday Night - and the rest, as they say, is history...

In (I think) 1976, I went to see Santana... (EW&F was) absolutely awesome. Bass player on wires doing summersaults, drum rostum up in the air and rotating! Great show and fantastic music.

I saw them later that year (unfortunately) without Santana. Doug Henning (with David Copperfield) had choreographed the magic in their show. I was right in front of the stage when Maurice White levitated less than 10 feet over my head and floated out over the audience, then in a flash was back on the stage. As I recall, they had a big pyramid on stage where he reappeared. Pretty cool- great show. Excellent melodies and great musicians.

In 1975-1976, when I was a freshman in high school in Jacksonville, Arkansas there was a talent contest where they asked for musicians from the high school (or wanna be's) to back up people who would sing. Jacksonville was (is) pretty small and a the crowd was big. I played guitar in the band that played for all of the singers and the show was called "Showdown". The first song I learned to play as the only guitar player in that backup band at age 16 was this one and it was the theme song for the whole show:

By far my favorite Earth Wind and Fire song to this day! Lemme tell ya I played that intro for weeks not to mention the whole freakin song. The horns were played by members of the high school band. Listen to the staccato guitar - it took a long time to learn. Kris, now the CEO of a big company in Arkansas, played keys and Eddy, my best friend played bass. Very strong and very pleasant memories for this geezer.

Here's a photo from that very show with a V borrowed from the guitar shop who lent it to me (actually my parents) because they knew it would get some exposure for the guitar:

sc001bf91d.jpg

Look at that shirt!

Archived