Gibson Brands Forums

WANTED: Rivoli 'Blondie' Bass

eggs

I would really like to add a bass with buck(s) to the family to fill the obvious gap in my 'sonic spectrum'...

I also, just 'cause, wouldn't mind keeping it in the Epi pre-2000 theme (although a late 70 / early 80s or ATK 310 Ibby is not entirely out of the question)...

& filling in some 'missing years' would be kinda cool as well!

So... Rivoli, Viola, EB-1, T/Bird, Other???

Any thoughts on particular models &/or production runs anyone???

The Embassy Standard has humbuckers. So does the Explorer, Flying-V & Les Paul. I'm not really partial to any of them...or most Epiphone & Gibson basses for that matter. They just dont have many styles and configurations that I like. The ATK is right up my alley though. I also like the old Peavey T-40's.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the Peavey T-40 --- it's a HEAVY mofo (definitely not for the weak-shouldered!), but with the phase switch and humbucker/single coil options, it's VERY versatile and sounds great. The Rivolis are part of British invasion history, but those neck pickups are awfully woofy. The Viola Bass can be nice if you like the short-scale thing. Long scale is the only thing with enough punch for my ears, but some folks seem to really like the Violas. I played some gigs with a bassist who used a T-bird, and he got some great bigfat tones out of it.

• 4 months later...

That is a sweet looking bass. Back when I tried playing bass, I started with an EB-2, then went to an EB-3 (wired in stereo), which I liked better due to the shorter scale and brighter neck PU. Still, it's hard to beat the look of that natural Rivoli. Good luck on your quest.

Yes, good luck in your quest !!!!!!!!! Basses are really awesome to own and play...........[thumbup]

That model you want is a looker for sure..........[thumbup]

I have an old uber awesome Warwick made in Germany 5 string fretless monster........[thumbup]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@Kazoo: That's handsome man, but I really want a single PUP Blondie.

@corson: Are you gonna go for it John?

Na ,not this one Stu,,,,still got my eye on the £400 one.It's in better nick and is only 10 miles away.I need to sell my '64 rivoli first.You will be able to see that on a new vid in a few days.

J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived