Gibson Brands Forums

Sub woofer

LarryUK

It'd probably give it some balls on the low end, as long as your higher frequencies still carry I don't see why you couldn't. Take my opinion as just a guess though, I only use tubes and the last time I owned a subwoofer was a car audio system in high school. Great for making your teeth rattle...

It'd probably give it some balls on the low end, as long as your higher frequencies still carry I don't see why you couldn't. Take my opinion as just a guess though, I only use tubes and the last time I owned a subwoofer was a car audio system in high school. Great for making your teeth rattle...

True fact. At the Battle of the Bands two years in a row which is played in a large lunch room cafeteria, with all the stupid loud Line 6 amps set to Insane, the only amp that could be heard throughout the audience was mine. It stays in the room and doesn't evaporate right after it hits the front row crowd's ears and destroys them.

Also. subwoofers are great in cars for making boobies jiggle

A guitar low "E" is 80Hz, a Bass low "E" is 40Hz, a sub is usually used to produce the frequencies below Hz, this is not a drop dead line, a crossover is used to roll off the 2 speakers between the Hz and provide a curved fall off on both sides. Many amps made today have a high pass filter built into them so the amps don't have to produce the lower frequencies, making the more powerfull. Open back cab are bad at the lowend, closed backs are better.

I think a lot of people just don't understand that what they hear coming out of the tee vee set or the radio or the iPod is very carefully put together by extremely experienced people that know precisely how to make whatever sound system you are listening to sound its' absolute best.

Yer amp don't do that. Ever.

You are a team, best way to sound enourmous is to play as a team, one guy plays chords here or there, other guy playes them there or here, bass player is included in figuring out what to play, he/she can help fill in the low end that guitar players lack. Keys can help out down low to, as can the drummer with kick accents where one might not expect them.

Guitars are all mid-range. Get used to it.

rct

Tube uses voltage, ss uses current to drive the speakers. It'll take an EE to explain the difference, I only know from playing them.

Even probably more complex, basically this:

I want to put out 30 watts into 2 10" Jensen and 2 12" Jensen.

I use a Fedner Prosonic, which while putting out those thirty watts will have peaks of maybe 3 HUNDRED watts out. Those peaks can also be long(music time) lasting.

If I use a thirty watt Frontman to drive the same bunch of speakers, it will have extremely brief excursions up above the 200 watt area of peak.

These extremely brief excursions are because if the thing is allowed to "clip", or overddrive, it'll sound like a$$. The harmonics it will emphasize are awful.

The tube amp, on the other hand, gets up to those major peaks and stays, because the harmonics it emphasizes as it "clips", or overdrives, are very pleasant to our ears, we like them.

There is a pedestrian explanation. I am not an engineer, just a computer dork. I could go get an engineer and get a better explanation.

rct

Archived