Gibson Brands Forums

You don't see these up close every day...

pippy

Yes; the real thing.

Because Stradivari was so well known by the time he made this one there is an unbroken provenance which comes with the instrument and is well recorded. The antique fair at which it is being put up for sale is probably the most prestigious event of it's kind in the UK. It was eye-wateringly astonishing walking around the exhibitors.

One well-known 'Purveyor of Fine Automobiles' had an ex-LeMans - and road-registered! - Ferrari '250P Sports-Prototype' on offer for £4,500,000 ($7,192,760) which made the Ferrari '330 America' beside it seemed an absolute bargain at a mere £185,000 ($295,686)..................

Here's another, better, shot of the Strad;

P.

Wow, that something you only see once in a lifetime..Thanks for sharing Pippy!

Pippy...

Yupper. The adjustment is a screw type device that alters the angle of the neck to the body. It's on the front of the heel of the neck and attaches the neck into the body.

The museum also has a number of Amati works too, btw, as well as some early Gibsons, etc.

m

2lambchops; Yes, I think you're right in respect of the badge. I had a scan through the 'net and concluded it is very likely a later addition, however...

Trust me, a badge is not going to ruin the value of a Stradivarius.

[thumbup]

Haha, but Billy Gibbons would still process it so that it sounded just like the Pearly Gates. Is it fitted with 7s?

No; .008s. He uses it for slide...

Happy Birthday Pippy - is this your subtle hint to us all regarding what you want by way of a present?

[lol]

Subtle? Why Be Subtle!

> Me with my birthday present from the gang -------> :-({|=

LOL!

And Milo; thanks for posting the link. Very interesting stuff they have in the collection!

P.

I once saw a show dedicated to the Strad, and learned the explanation of their uniquely fine tones.

The master builder was a "wood snob" that ONLY used tonewoods from local trees that had very close annular growth rings caused by a long peroid of terrible drought in the area ranging from 150-60 years previous to their felling/selection for instruments.

The unusually close rings (grain) caused a much denser wood overall, and when properly cut & matched produced the superb tones the Strad is known for worldwide.

amazing what one learns from "History International"

Archived