Gibson Brands Forums

Putting a p90 in my SG

Dub-T-123

Hey so I'm getting a PRS p90 off an American PRS in a trade. What do you guys think of those?

I'm gonna put it in the bridge position of my SG and leave the ol 490r in the neck (I really like that pickup). I know I'm gonna have to route it out a bit to make the p90 fit. What kindof hand tool could I use to do this? Preferably something I've already got chillin in my garage. I don't have a router but I have a drill if there's something I should do with that... I don't really care what it looks like under the guard.

I'd really rather mount the pickup to the pickguard (like on an SG classic) than drill it into the body. Where can I get one of those bracket things? I could swear I remember someone posting a link to something like that.

Also, I'm gonna need to get a new pickguard cut. Where should I get that?

Hey so I'm getting a PRS p90 off an American PRS in a trade. What do you guys think of those?

I'm gonna put it in the bridge position of my SG and leave the ol 490r in the neck (I really like that pickup). I know I'm gonna have to route it out a bit to make the p90 fit. What kindof hand tool could I use to do this? Preferably something I've already got chillin in my garage. I don't have a router but I have a drill if there's something I should do with that... I don't really care what it looks like under the guard.

I'd really rather mount the pickup to the pickguard (like on an SG classic) than drill it into the body. Where can I get one of those bracket things? I could swear I remember someone posting a link to something like that.

Also, I'm gonna need to get a new pickguard cut. Where should I get that?

Well a router would be your best bet when it comes to reshaping a pickup cavity. Might be able to do it with a dremel though. Why don't you just get a P-94? No rerouting required.

As for the pickguard, I think these guys got you covered:

http://www.terrapinisland.com/chitzenitza/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=16

BTW Dub, off topic but did you check out my demo of the Memory Boy?

Haha yeah a router is the obvious solution but I don't have one and I'm not gonna buy one. My brother has a dremel that I can use. I didn't think of that that might be my best bet.

A p94 would be nice and easy, but I'm trading a pickup I wasn't using for this so I'm basically getting it for free.

Thanks for the link man. I'll check it out when I'm not so sleepy haha.

I would check it out but I don't have a computer. I just have my old iPhone. I have the soundcloud app but it doesn't work I think my iPhone is too old for it or something. The only things I can listen to are things that play on QuickTime. I think .wav files or something.

I've checked out some demos of it on YouTube though. It sounds sweet! For straight up delay, it sounds much better than my old Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai did (I sold that). I really dig the triangle wave modulation on the vibrato mode. I'm a ***** for that. EHX pedals are definately the raddest mass market pedals IMO.

If it was me I'd pop the cover off the P90 ( makes it about 3/8 shorter ) to see if it would fit as is just to see how she sounded and if I liked it then I would open her up a bit, I think all you need to do is make it a little longer and shouldn't be much as the route in the body has opening for hight adjustments and a HB is wider. Maybe a chisel. I would also mount the height adjustment screws to the body, they sound better that way.

If you don't want to route it out I would get a couple of forstner bits for a hand drill. They are easy to control. Just make sure you make yourself a depth gauge ( a flap of tape works) so you don't end up drilling all the way through the back! Dremels will work but can also "Take off" on you if you're not careful. You can then clean up the "Route" from the forstner bit with a sharp chisel.

My 2 C's

Andy

Thanks Andy I think that's what I'll do. I definately trust your advice ;)

I was thinking about that with the dremel. That could get ugly. I will definately do the old tape trick.

Diamond jig I really don't want to do that. I dunno. I'm just scared I'm gonna blow clean through the back with my drill. Being an SG there's not a whole lot of room for error. Also I'm really not convinced they sound better screwed into the wood. I just don't see how that would work since the pickup is just picking up the vibration of the strings.

I could always have someone else mount it the old fashioned way later if I want. I just don't trust myself doing that haha.

...Also I'm really not convinced they sound better screwed into the wood. I just don't see how that would work since the pickup is just picking up the vibration of the strings.

Please bring this logic over to the Vintage Wood Is Better thread, see how that goes.

I could always have someone else mount it the old fashioned way later if I want. I just don't trust myself doing that haha.

Tip: Stand the guitar up on edge so you are facing it head on and have to drill that way. Less inclined to go too far if you are NOT pushing down on it. You can do it, don't worry about wrecking it. It's only wood.

rct

Haha I'm sure I'll just get flamed beyond recognition. I'm not really up for that right now haha

hmm now you've got me thinkin maybe it's not so sketchy after all. I wonder how much more wood there is there anyways since it's already in the route. It seems like it couldn't be much more than 3/8"

Ok I just opened up my SG to have a look at what we're working with and it looks like it will be much easier than I thought. The route is already plenty wide enough on the right side so I'll just have to route the left side a bit.

So I'm thinking I should just screw it into the wood the old fashioned way now. The route isn't that deep except for the parts for the legs and mounting screws of the original humbucker. Between those routes, there is a lot more wood to work with. The p90 screws would fit in that spot right? Hopefully I'm explaining what I mean well enough..

Ok I just opened up my SG to have a look at what we're working with and it looks like it will be much easier than I thought. The route is already plenty wide enough on the right side so I'll just have to route the left side a bit.

So I'm thinking I should just screw it into the wood the old fashioned way now. The route isn't that deep except for the parts for the legs and mounting screws of the original humbucker. Between those routes, there is a lot more wood to work with. The p90 screws would fit in that spot right? Hopefully I'm explaining what I mean well enough..

The original P90 screws would go right in there, yes. If I were you, and I'm not, I'd screw the thing in and see how it is without routing anything. Most you'll have to do is get it down 1/8 inch or so, no more. If you like yer pickups up, and I don't, you might be just fine with no cutting at all.

rct

Thanks man. I'll do that. I usually don't like my pickups very high, kinda just the regular height like you would see them in a guitar store. But I'll play around with it.

So how should I know where to drill the holes anyways? I was thinking I'd put the new pickguard on, put the p90 in it's place and either tap the screws into the wood so it leaves a little indentation or put like some wet paint on the screw so it leaves a little spot where I should drill. Any suggestions for that?

Haha alright that sounds like a pretty awesome and effective way of doing that. Thanks!

I would suggest doing exactly what you mentioned concerning marking where the holes go. I would then use a punch or nail to create a center start for a small pilot hole to prevent the drill bit from walking off the mark. I have stripped and broken too many cheap screws in the past to even risk it anymore. Takes very little time and will save you a hell of a lot more time and frustration if it breaks.

Also scrape the screw with some bar soap or wax before you screw it in....

My 2 C's

Andy

Archived